I LOVE SPINNING!!!!!!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    its an indoor bike that has wheels and pedals but is attached to a brace. Hence, the wheels move when you pedal but the cycle doens't physically move forward. Spinning classes happen on these bikes.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a video of a generic spin class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-5yQJ0nPN8
  • dwalden
    dwalden Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike every morning before work and burn almost 1300 calories in a 45-50 session based on my HRM. I get my heart rate up to over 90% of my max. Could this mean my HRM is incorrect, or is my workout that good?

90% of your max is actually too high. You're training in an anaerobic zone, which will probably leave you feeling really fatigued afterward. If you need to lower the resistance to lower your heart rate, or slow down your pace. . .I would do that.

I sometimes spike this high (like on a speed burst) but it's not good to stay there for long periods of time. I currently do cardio in the 65-75% range. . .and have discovered that I feel really good after a workout like this, as opposed to exhausted like I used to.

Just my opinion. . .

I only spike at that level my average around 140 which is 70% of my max, but I burn a lot of calories according to my HRM. I burn around 1300 calories every morning. Is this what others are seeing as well?
  • shorerider
    Options

I only spike at that level my average around 140 which is 70% of my max, but I burn a lot of calories according to my HRM. I burn around 1300 calories every morning. Is this what others are seeing as well?

your profile says you're a man, so you're going to burn up a lot more than us women :angry: My class was 50 minutes, I stayed at about 85% of my max most of the time, and only burnt up 475
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm a spinning instructor. I have to say that it is an awesome workout, but it's not the miracle calorie burner... studies show it's similar to a run. Based on "averages", you burn roughly 100 calories per mile run. Well, if you're an average runner, then base that on 10 minute miles, and you burn about 600 calories per hour. Spinning is very similar. It is an awesome workout, indeed.
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    its an indoor bike that has wheels and pedals but is attached to a brace. Hence, the wheels move when you pedal but the cycle doens't physically move forward. Spinning classes happen on these bikes.

Ohhh ok. Thanks.
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

Ohhh ok. Thanks.

For some reason though, when people say spin, I picture a gym full of people on adult size versions of the kids toy sit-n-spin and I picture them twisting themselves around on the machines. I thought, now that can't be right!
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Can I ask a dumb question? Is spinning that machine like a bike with no wheels where you pedal?

It has wheels - you have a "gear" that you can turn to mimic going up hills. It is like a stationary bike except 1) your positioning is more like a real bike (which I find is better on my knees and 2) when a teacher is yelling at me I tend to work harder.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options

Ohhh ok. Thanks.

For some reason though, when people say spin, I picture a gym full of people on adult size versions of the kids toy sit-n-spin and I picture them twisting themselves around on the machines. I thought, now that can't be right!

Ha ha ha ! That might be fun!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ranaelynn
    ranaelynn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I go to gold’s gym - they have two classes. One called Cycle class and one called something else I don’t recall- they do a class each night of the week with rotating instructors. It’s basically a spin class but under a different name. They go to seminars several times a year - have to get certified before they can teach the class and not once has any of them ever told me to put my hands on the adjustment knob rather than the handle bars. There are multiple positions on the handle bars but what you describe certainly sounds unsafe and just plain dumb. The instructors I am use to welcome newbie’s, regardless of size, check all new comers to make sure they have their bikes set up for safe riding and stress safety through out the class. I LOVE the classes and the calories they burn. I am an avid outdoor biker so I prefer that but when the weather gets to cold and windy (I live in IL) I head straight back to the bike classes and the gym. Done right I think they make you a better biker, so my advice is try again BUT find a different class!

btw I am trying to start a blog for those of us that love our bicycles so if you like visit my blog (ranaekline's blog - mfp bike riders) and chim in.
  • shorerider
    Options
    The problem is I live in an rural area and there's on the Y and it only has the one class. BUT I noticed it has 2 instructors but it appears they don't announce in advance when who's doing it. Plus, I heard the other ladies saying the other women was "worse." So....I might try again and just kind of "do my own thing" when she starts giving wacky stuff to do :tongue:
  • arjames82
    Options
    I go to gold’s gym - they have two classes. One called Cycle class and one called something else I don’t recall- they do a class each night of the week with rotating instructors. It’s basically a spin class but under a different name. They go to seminars several times a year - have to get certified before they can teach the class and not once has any of them ever told me to put my hands on the adjustment knob rather than the handle bars. There are multiple positions on the handle bars but what you describe certainly sounds unsafe and just plain dumb. The instructors I am use to welcome newbie’s, regardless of size, check all new comers to make sure they have their bikes set up for safe riding and stress safety through out the class. I LOVE the classes and the calories they burn. I am an avid outdoor biker so I prefer that but when the weather gets to cold and windy (I live in IL) I head straight back to the bike classes and the gym. Done right I think they make you a better biker, so my advice is try again BUT find a different class!

btw I am trying to start a blog for those of us that love our bicycles so if you like visit my blog (ranaekline's blog - mfp bike riders) and chim in.

I go to Gold's Gym too, and I think the second class you're referring to is RPM...it's under the Les Mills program.
  • irish_eyes
    Options
    I'm in a serious dilemma at the moment - I just did my first spin class last week and did another last night and LOVED it-however its spin and abs class so the spin bit only lasts 30 mins- I use a HRM each time and I only burn 270 cals which just isnt enough!!!

SO what do I do- stick with TRYING to make it to the gym 3times a week for 40 mins (to start with - I'm only beginning my serious weight loss for christmas/bridesmaid next march...or do spin 2 nights and gym at weekend?

ANY advice would be seriously appreciated coz I'm panicing at time slipping by and needing to lose weight!

PS there is only 1 spin class in our area too so its this short one or nothing...
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

I go to Gold's Gym too, and I think the second class you're referring to is RPM...it's under the Les Mills program.

That RPM class is awesome!! I have been noticing a big difference in my body since taking it. Everything is toning up!! :drinker:
  • ranaelynn
    ranaelynn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm in a serious dilemma at the moment - I just did my first spin class last week and did another last night and LOVED it-however its spin and abs class so the spin bit only lasts 30 mins- I use a HRM each time and I only burn 270 cals which just isnt enough!!!

SO what do I do- stick with TRYING to make it to the gym 3times a week for 40 mins (to start with - I'm only beginning my serious weight loss for christmas/bridesmaid next march...or do spin 2 nights and gym at weekend?

ANY advice would be seriously appreciated coz I'm panicing at time slipping by and needing to lose weight!

PS there is only 1 spin class in our area too so its this short one or nothing...

that seems odd that they would only do a 30 min spin portion and then try to combine it with an ab work out. 30 min into the spin class and your really starting to roll - its the second 30 minutes that truly push you. I walk out of my class (cycle and as mentioned above rpm as they are called at golds) dripping wet. Not to be gross but i mean dripping wet. I feel awesome about myself when I am done. As to your delemia - mix it up. I have been at this since last Jan and I find that flexability saves the day for me. when I was trying to stick to an exact plan and I would miss a class then I would just throw my hands up and not excercise at all. Once I let go of having to get to a particular class or the the gym at a specific time but rather just commiting to excercise one way or another i found i was out of excuses, not beating myself up and hey if i missed the class or it just was not my thing that day then as long as I replaced it with something else - no beating myself up. Dont get me wrong I love the classes and work hard to get to them , but when life gets in the way, well then I just go to plan B for that day and get it in some other way. If you dont feel like the class works for you - the go with what does