Insatiable- calling on all ladies

Options
Hi All,

Just looking for some pointers from you females. "Certain" times of the month I am absolutley INSATIABLE.....I want to eat almost anything I can get my hands on and never seem to be satisfied. I have strong cravings for sweets, and then once I have sweets, then I want salt. It's a vicious cycle really. Any of you have any healthy food ideas that help with these cravings and actually satisfy your hunger? Please help!

Replies

• ashleymichelle06
    ashleymichelle06 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    OMG I could have written this word for word. When I'm PMSing I cannot get enough of snack food. First it's something sweet and then I need something salty and then an hour later the cycle begins again. I will have to see what kind of suggestions you get, because I have this problem as well :)
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I crave salt to the point where I'm sure I could just eat it by the spoonful. I'm not really sure what to do about it though, I try my best to not eat stupidly but the cravings sometimes get too much and I think to hell with it =(
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: haha - so it looks like we all have the same problem at that time...and can all use some advice!

i TRY to just ignore it but more often than not end up giving in... :drinker:
  • Desertnetti
    Desertnetti Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't have any big revelations but for me eating an apple, then chewing gum really helps! ... and knitting. Keeping my hands busy with a good movie on at the same time, that really helps me.
  • liagarden
    liagarden Posts: 54
    Options
    I used to use seasoned seaweed for the salt cravings, instead of eating potato chips or pretzels. But it does have sugar, too. I love it!
    I was much younger then--now I avoid any extra sugars, when I can.

Switching between salt & sugar is only upsetting your electrolyte balance. We have an "electrical system," and all cells respond to sodium, potassium, and sugar. (to put it very simply) Your making neurons fire. I've also read (and tend to believe) that we crave things that are running through the body to be eliminated. If you can just resist that initial craving!

Have you ever tried "tapping?' It's a technique I used to use to help people get over cravings. i think there's a web site that teaches you how to do it. (I learned it as part of shiatsu and hypnotherapy)

Try protein--a bit of cheese, or a slice of chicken, when you get a craving. That may help.
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I ate 8 Bliss chocolate hearts last night. And guess who showed up this morning! Gotta love that. I've done well for the last 3 months in dealing with it until last night. Today there are the 3 chocolate kisses I tossed aside last night for the larger, creamier Bliss's. They do nothing for me right now. I don't get it. I usually look forward to the moment it all "begins" cause it seems the worst is over for me. Not fair, ladies. Not fair at all to do so well only to become a slave to the hormones! But!! Whatcha gonna do? :grumble:
  • kimmshaw77
    Options
    I stick with low calorie stuff that really satisfies me. The weight watchers candies are good (you usually get 2 or 3 pieces for 150 or so calories), the weight watchers ice creams - same thing, and the 100 calorie packs of sweets. Can we see that I like sweets during that time? Also check out some of the hungry girl, cook yourself thin, and skinnytaste.com recipes. All low calorie, all the ones I've tried AWESOME! So no matter what you're craving - you can have it!

I would say - curb your cravings as best you can - and don't be too hard on yourself if you slip...we women don't have it easy and we are normally WAY too hard on ourselves.
  • AmandaArnwine
    Options
    Are you exercising Regularly with Heavy weights ?... if not .. DO !!.. I barely have the monthly visitor at all :-)
  • Losingfast
    Options
    have you had your thyroid checked. Craving alot of salt, you might have it checked.
  • LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    eat protein to satisfy the hunger. During that time your body craves protein. Grapes should kill a sweet tooth, and the protein should cover the "salt" part, especially if it's beans or something like that.
  • dadsgirl87
    Options
    I have the same problem! I just try to eat something small. LIke i'll have 1/3 of a dark chocolate candy bar. Or have a boiled egg and add salt. And sometimes i'm bad and pig out.! I though it was just me!

Thanks for the post!
  • elocin85
    elocin85 Posts: 7
    Options
    This is me everyday--alternating thoughts about chocolate and then any salty snack. The only advice I have is to do some kind of task to take your mind off of it. Over time, the less you have, the less you'll want. Until then, it's best to keep busy.
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    Options
    This is true ! Me totally. The cravings are fierce. lol. Try to keep busy and lots of water.. but if you must.. just a bite size piece of choc. Don't go overboard. I try to drink water and if crave does not pass then I will get alittle piece of chocolate or just a small handful of chips. And of couse if I am having a good cal. allowance day it usually does not matter.. I am usually still within cal. limit.
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    For me eating plain air-popped popcorn helps the salt cravings, plus you can eat a ton of that before its a problem. Sometimes I spray a little olive oil on it. For sweet cravings I drink sugar-free hot chocolate with light soy milk. Sipping a warm drink helps hunger too and the sugar-free chocolate tastes the same to me. Another even skinnier option is warm herbal tea with splenda and/or a splash of milk. These are also great option for late night cravings :) Also; make sure you are taking a good mulitvitamin, that helps a lot with cravings, especially during the monthly gift.
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I crave sugar and have found the only thing that works for taking it away is to eat some form of protein. I think it balances out whatever is causing the craving.
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    I eat chocolate chips. They satisfy my chocolate craving, but they are not sooo tasty that i will overeat them. The kind we have at home right now are 70 calories and 4 grams of fat for 30 chips. Sometimes I mix them with a few salty nuts or pretzels, cheerios, and raisins. I can make a 1/2 cup of this snack mix for relatively few calories. That being said, I am really hungry the 2 - 3 days before my period and I rarely stick to my goals on those days : (
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    Just reading the replies....herbal tea is a great idea! A spicy, herbal tea like decaf chai with milk and low-cal sweetner is very tasty, light and filling.
  • ashleymichelle06
    ashleymichelle06 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising Regularly with Heavy weights ?... if not .. DO !!.. I barely have the monthly visitor at all :-)

I definitely don't want to stop my monthly visitor haha I might freak out and think I'm pregnant ;)

Plus when I do want to start trying to conceive again I'll need to have a healthy BMI and monthly cycle.
  • sabrinamary
    Options
    Thank you ALL so much for your wonderful advice. Lots a great things for me to try!
    And I'm also glad to see that it's not JUST ME that struggles with this :smile:
  • blooming_soul
    blooming_soul Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My moon comes on Sunday or Monday and for the last few days I have been absolutely insatiable but today has been the worst. I went over my calorie goal by over 500 calories and i don't feel as guilty as i do concerned...is this because of my new habit of only eating meat occasionally?

I'm going to eat a nice steak tomorrow to try and deter myself from snacking on toast/cereal after dinner. Tonight, 3 hours after i ate my nice dinner of fava beans, quinoa and salad (which i thought filled me up), I ate two pieces of toast (one with melted cheese), cereal and a beef & bean burrito(in hopes of filling me up!)! This happens very rarely for me, so i guess it is because I am getting my period...

I have been craving meat for the past few days but was trying to ignore it and eat healthier. I am now feeling a cold coming on and maybe if I ate the meat I wouldn't have eaten the other empty calories! ARRGGH!!