Home Exercises

Options
Can anybody recommend some exercises i can do at home that will help me tone up?
or even some fitness DVD'S that actually Help

Thanks

Replies

• dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of all DVD's from Beachbody.. My favorite is Turbojam and Turbofire. So fun!!
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I am totally crushing on Amy Dixon right now for my DVDs. She's encouraging without being obnoxious or overbearing.
  • macjenkins
    macjenkins Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have both the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and The Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout. Both are great dvd's
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Exercisetv.tv
  • Cello2007
    Cello2007 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love my Zumba dvds. They even have a new set out just released that I am dying to try. Looks even better than the 2009 version I have! Best of luck!
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I am a huge fan of all DVD's from Beachbody.. My favorite is Turbojam and Turbofire. So fun!!

ditto - love turbofire
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Can anybody recommend some exercises i can do at home that will help me tone up?

Thanks

Nothing will help you tone, just so you know. No exercises "tone" muscle.

In order to get a tone look you have to lower your body fat %
    want more muscle? lift heavy weights :]

good luck! Many people do recommend the 30 day shred for a good burn tho :D I prefer being outside and running myself... its free! :D
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    SELF and SHAPE magazines make nice videos. If I can find a VCR I may steel my mom Buns of Steel 2000 series. Talk about a blast from the past.
  • ernurse77
    ernurse77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Let's see, I have Power 90 from Beachbody as well as P90X. I love them both! Power 90 is great for beginners. I also have Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Which, by the way, I thought would be super easy since I've been doing P90X...yeah.....It's tough in it's own way! I've been toying with buying Turbo fire or Turbo Jam...just need to get the hubby on board!
  • JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    I also like the beachbody dvd's...turbojam rocks. Also, The Firm's Total Body Time Crunch is a good one.
  • sthielen
    sthielen Posts: 1
    Options
    squats and lunges are a great lower body, push ups are a great upper body and crunches are good for the abs. You need nothing other than your body to do these exercises.
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    In addition to exercise videos, I've had good luck with

push ups
    sit ups
    calf raises
    leg lifts
    lunges
    squats

...all can be done at home.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Thanks

good luck! Many people do recommend the 30 day shred for a good burn tho :D I prefer being outside and running myself... its free! :D

There is a difference between toning muscle and building muscle. You build muscle you must lift more weight then your own. Example: squats with no extra weight will tone muscles if you work them to the point of fatigue. It makes tiny tears in your muscle and burns fat this makes better leaner muscles, that is why if you do 100 squats with only your body weight you will be sore the next day.

I think the point you are making is that you cannot spot reduce with exercise. Such as doing leg lifts etc. to lose your muffin top. To do that you need to lose fat like from cardio exercise and improve your diet.

Weight loss is 80% food and 20% exercise.
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 30 day shred. I just finished and even thought I didn't have huge results as other people here, I don't really need to lose any more weight, so am beginning to see that in 30 days, I have great results. I have insanity here, but haven't tried it yet.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I am doing Chalean Extreme right now with a combination of circuits developed by my trainer....
    Chalean is so much about building muscle and gaining strength-which, once fat is lost will lead to toning.

I have started a blog about ChaLean, the link is below.
    I have been strength training for some time now and haev quite a bit of muscle mass so my plan has been altered. But Chalean is not TOOOO time consuming and you can do it all in your living room. Although I personally recommend some additional cardio such as running or spinning. But it varies by fitness level and what your goals are.
    I heard great things about 30day shred but I was BORED and got sick of doing the same thing over and over and over in the same week... I figured most likely so would my body.
    If you are up for it... PLYOMETRICS will SHRED you. No joke. :-D Plyos are in many of Beachbody;s programs and Jillians as well... Mix it up, keep yourself and your body entertained and you will be fine...
    I do agree... FOOD is an even bigger part of losing weight/fat whichever it might be. Good luck!
  • TubbieMummy20
    Options
    Well i have managed to get my hands on a couple of exercise videos that people have mentioned, so went for the biggest loser & Jullian's 30 day shred thanks guys :)
  • TubbieMummy20
    Options
    Zumba full set is selling on ebay atm for £35-£45 i'm hoping to get it once i have a bit of spare cash!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options

Thanks

There is a difference between toning muscle and building muscle. You build muscle you must lift more weight then your own. Example: squats with no extra weight will tone muscles if you work them to the point of fatigue. It makes tiny tears in your muscle and burns fat this makes better leaner muscles, that is why if you do 100 squats with only your body weight you will be sore the next day.

I think the point you are making is that you cannot spot reduce with exercise. Such as doing leg lifts etc. to lose your muffin top. To do that you need to lose fat like from cardio exercise and improve your diet.

Weight loss is 80% food and 20% exercise.

yes, i know what I said. You just went into more detail. I know what im doing thanks :p