Alcohol and dieting

Options
:drinker: :sad:

Since I joined this site, I have found that alcohol contains WAY more calories than I even thought it did.:sad:

I have finally finished having children and breast feeding (14 months for the oldest, 10 months for the middle child and just over 13 months for the youngest). At this point it was supposed to be my turn to go out and drink on the weekends with my friends.... but now, I don't know what I can drink without having to starve myself for the entire day.

Does anyone know of any websites that have the calorie counts for different types of alcohol?
I used to drink Mike's Hard Lemonade, that is until I found out it had 340 calories per serving.... Throughout the night I usually put down 12-13 drinks.... (We start playing cards at 12:00 (noon) and stay til' close while the husbands take care of the kids.
:brokenheart:

106069.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter

Replies

• LifeChanges42
    LifeChanges42 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :sad:

Since I joined this site, I have found that alcohol contains WAY more calories than I even thought it did.:sad:

I have finally finished having children and breast feeding (14 months for the oldest, 10 months for the middle child and just over 13 months for the youngest). At this point it was supposed to be my turn to go out and drink on the weekends with my friends.... but now, I don't know what I can drink without having to starve myself for the entire day.

Does anyone know of any websites that have the calorie counts for different types of alcohol?
    I used to drink Mike's Hard Lemonade, that is until I found out it had 340 calories per serving.... Throughout the night I usually put down 12-13 drinks.... (We start playing cards at 12:00 (noon) and stay til' close while the husbands take care of the kids.
    :brokenheart:

106069.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • tech_sarah
    Options
    drink a light beer or liquor with diet soda
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Bud Light is like 110 (something like that) calories (it's in our database...I put it in the Snacks section every Friday and Saturday...I have to do 50 minute workouts just so I can drink :drinker: :laugh: :bigsmile: ) And liquor has anywhere from 60-100 calories so you could either drink that straight sick.gif or with diet soda or sometimes I'll have rum and Coke Zero :drinker: :drinker:

corrections made after actually reading into it :bigsmile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    uh... 12-13 drinks in one night? :huh: You know that more than 2 drinks in one night is considered binge drinking for a woman right? Cut back to 2 or 3 and you can have almost any beverage you want.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Not only does it have calories, but when you drink, after your second drink, your body starts to store what's called acetate on your liver, which is a form of fat, and that is the fat your body will burn FIRST when it requires energy. So both straight and diluted liquor drinks are bad in their own way and need to be moderated if you're trying to lose weight.

I'm limited by my budget, fortunately. I might get a little soused every couple weeks on perhaps 3 shots of hard liquor. And I can't drink before my exercise, because then it just doesn't happen!! I'm sure if you find yourself able to cut back on the drinking, your weight will melt off quicker than you realize!!
  • jukramer
    jukramer Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Liquor has calories. I think a bottle of beer, glass of wine and shot of liquor have *roughly* the same amount of calories.
  • domjar
    domjar Posts: 19
    Options
    I drink vodka with club soda with lots of LIMES...and Ice... almost tastes like a Mikes hard and only 90 cal...
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Bud Light is like 110 (something like that) calories (it's in our database...I put it in the Snacks section every Friday and Saturday...I have to do 50 minute workouts just so I can drink :drinker: :laugh: :bigsmile: ) And liquor has 0 calories so you could either drink that straight sick.gif or with diet soda or sometimes I'll have rum and Coke Zero :drinker: :drinker:

uh.. lol, liquor HAS calories, I promise you. An oz of rum has about 60 calories.
  • kellch
    Options
    OH........Oops:laugh: I thought I was reading somewhere that liquor didn't have calories:ohwell: Maybe it was just one particular brand?????????? :ohwell:

*bends over....grabs foot...puts foot in mouth* whistling.gif
  • seegirlrun
    Options
    Bloody Mary's - you'll have some calories no matter what but at least you can get some vitamins too!
  • LifeChanges42
    LifeChanges42 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    The 12- 13 drinks is over about 14 hours. I like to play cards and I like to dance. The bar that I visit has card tournaments that start at noon, by the time we are done the DJ or band is setting up so we typically stay to dance until the DJ or band packs up.
  • kellch
    Options
    http://www.alcoholcalorie.net/index.html

http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.gov/CollegeStudents/calculator/alcoholcalc.aspx

You're right.....I'm a retard :ohwell: Dont know what I was thinking. I really drink Bud Light most of the time. I thought I heard somewhere that liquor or a liquor didnt have calories in it? :noway: Whatever....inserts foot back in mouth :smokin:
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Have you tried treating yourself other ways instead? It's hard but sometimes you are forced to decide which you want more ie: weight loss or a night of drinking. Not only is alcohol filled with calories but it's really filling your body with toxins that it has to work so hard to eliminate. Why not throw yourself full force in to your new healthier lifestyle and find a new way to let yourself go like a day at the spa, a massage package shouldn't be too much more than 12-14 drinks in one night.
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    don't worry you aren't alone :) my norm is 10 to 12 drinks, I switched to wine, although bad, I can't drink as much and it does have less calories than a whole beer :) Not sure how I would do playing cards on wine though :drinker:
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Smirnoff light is really YUMMY, it tastes like sprite, with a bite

i am a poet & didnt even know it. :blushing: :laugh:
  • kellch
    Options
    Maybe that's why I've lost weight (or part of it anyway) I used to drink about 7-8 rum n cokes on girls night...Now I only drink Bud Light (maybe 4-5 of em...tops). I used regular coke. So if an oz of rum has 60 calories that's a lot of calories in one night out with the girls :noway: :noway: :noway: Where 4-5 Bud Lights at 110 calories a piec is 440-550 calories. WOW! What a difference :noway:
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    ....... it has 110 calories
  • kellch
    Options
    How many ounces in a shot?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Yes, alcohol isn't the best for dieting.
    No one is gonna tell you what you can or can't do.
    If you want to drink, then plan on it from the start.
    However, you may want to consider cutting back a bit.
    No one says you have to drink a lot, that's a personal choice.
    You can always have a few drinks and then drink other non-calorie beverages.
    You still get some fun without a full night of calories consumed in mere alcohol.

I'm not a drinker, but others have found a nice balance. It's about moderation in some things not elimination.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    How many ounces in a shot?

I think a shot has 1 oz. But I always get my drinks doubled, :laugh: if you make them at home and don't measure, it's easy to pour 3-4 oz without even realizing it.