What Motivates You To Exercise When You Really Don't Want To

Options
Everyone has difficulty mustering the motivation to exercise at one time or another. I'm curious as to how you motivate yourself to move during those times when you physically and/or mentally do not want to do an activity.

Replies

• hellokittymfp
    Options
    I'm at a point now where I feel bad/guilty if I do not exercise my normal amt. So, I just try to get it over with. Once I start it, it's not big deal, but just getting to that point sometimes is the hard part. Also, I remind myself that I can eat more liberally if I exercise. :smile:
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I try to remind myself of two things:
    1. How good it is for me and will make me look good/feel better
    2. I can eat more if I exercise!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be fat.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Looking a my butt in the mirror is a great motivator. I also post on my page when I not feeling like working out and everyone helps give me the motivation I need :)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    My son``s wedding in june.Before wanted to be an example to my overwt 14 year old daughter.
  • kmac420
    kmac420 Posts: 24
    Options
    putting my running shoes on anyway! and thinking about how i can stuff my face when I'm done :)
  • gottabekd
    gottabekd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think of the great energy boost I get after I exercise. I usually really don't want to because I'm tired or lazy, but if I get up and force myself to do it I know I won't feel either. Plus, I really love chocolate milk and the only time I let myself drink it is right after working out, so if I find that I want one, I make myself workout first.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    dont give it a second thought just do it.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    This sounds odd but when my body says I don't want to exercise... that's when I get more motivated.

It's all a mental game. Do with it what you will.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    For me, it's hardest in the winter. I just want to sleep. I think I'm part bear. But, as soon as the weather warms, there's no stopping me. I haven't found the secret for winter motivation yet - I usually don't workout much in Jan-Feb, but gradually start up again in March.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I put on my gym clothes. Once they're on I feel compelled to go.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I just look down at my stomach lol and remember that I can't wish it away :\
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    For me, its any time the sun is out that I don't want to go to the gym...so days like today where it is finally sunny here in Oregon I am struggling, and have been for a few hours, about going to the gym and doing even 30 minutes of cardio.

Honestly, THANKS for posting this. Today, its my motivation to go. 30 minutes is 30 minutes towards a smaller butt, a smaller gut and a more active me!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I always feel better after I exercise, emotionally and physically.

I wake up with every joint in my body creaking and aching (oh, the joys of getting older!), but after a run, I feel like a million bucks. It's harder for me to take a rest day than it is to find the motivation. It's just part of my routine now.
  • sirphilipe
    sirphilipe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    dont give it a second thought just do it.

I agree with this statement. If I give my self a chance I will maybe pike. You just have to suck it up and do it... or stay fat. your choice really.

I am also at the point that when I don't exercise I feel guilty.

Also think for a second. Is it my body telling me I am injured/slightly damaged and need a rest day to repair or is it I am being lazy...
  • jen2bhottie
    jen2bhottie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Whether I'm having a bad day, I'm tired, or just feeling pissy, I know that when I'm done working out I WILL feel better...less stressed, more relaxed, etc. Exercising has been very liberating for me this last month...I always hated it before, it seemed like a chore so I just didn't do it. i don't know what's different now except the fact that my determination to be healthy is the driving force behind everything I do. I mean today, I am actually very sick, but I'm not going to allow myself to use that as an excuse, because that's going to lead to me making more excuses, that are less valid, later on.
  • Amairee
    Amairee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Personally I love the way I feel after a good workout. I love the rush of endorphins, I love the sense of satisfaction, I love that overall I feel healthier every time I do. For me, that burst of energy is what motivates me. :smile:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Sheer bloody mindedness. I've made up my mind I'm going to go to the gym on at least Monday Wednesday and Friday and that's the end of it.

I no longer have a choice about what I do between 4-6.30 on those days.

I have no idea how I managed to get to the gym the other day, I'd had an awful day, I was miserable and tired and wanted nothing more than to go out and buy a HUGE bar of chocolate.
    But it was my gym day.
    So I went.

I hated every minute of the first half hour but eventually the endorphins kicked in, and by the time I left I felt so much happier and no longer felt exhausted. Remembering times like that goes a long way to not letting myself take days off.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    when i was first starting out, i did something like programmed my brain to just do it, and not even bother putting up a fight with myself. on the tougher days, i would tell myself something like "this is what's needed to succeed. if you do it, you are succeeding. if you don't do it, you are failing". nowadays, i tell myself something like "look at how far you've come. these results are from working out hard, not from from postponing and making excuses. keep it up and we'll go even farther beyond"
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    i think the bottom line is if it didn't feel REALLY good and it wasn't FUN we wouldn't be doing it!

even those nasty Bulgarian Split Squats with Overhead Presses (which I just tried for the first time today, and performed incorrectly using TWO heavy dumbbells -instead of one light one before my RUN today)... my legs were feeling like I had just had surgery BEFORE I even started running ...and snow in the springtime? What's up with that?

no matter how much you don't want to get started -- once you go ahead, get out there and do it anyway and get that good feeling you will do it again and again too...absolutely guaranteed... the really important thing is to FIND something that gets you stoked enough to do it in the first place, and then keep switching up your activity list with enough variety so you KEEP getting stoked
    and make your priority "FUN" or whatever else will make it sustainable