What's a typical day?

Options
I am just wondering what a typical day is for you guys...not a perfect day, just a typical one as far what you eat, how many times a day, how long you work out. I've been one this site for 4 months and I lost 10 pounds in the first three months, but it stopped over the holidays and I can't get it to budge, no matter what I am doing. Just wondering if I am doing something wrong and hope to find some encouragement in what you guys are doing.

Replies

• mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering what a typical day is for you guys...not a perfect day, just a typical one as far what you eat, how many times a day, how long you work out. I've been one this site for 4 months and I lost 10 pounds in the first three months, but it stopped over the holidays and I can't get it to budge, no matter what I am doing. Just wondering if I am doing something wrong and hope to find some encouragement in what you guys are doing.
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have plateaued. I think I've read that this often happens to people after 3-4 months of weight loss. If you have been doing the same exercise routine for awhile, your muscles adapt to it and are no longer challenged, and therefore you won't burn as many calories. If you haven't already, you could try changing up your exercise routine.

Otherwise, maybe you are at your body's preferred weight??

Good luck :)
  • bob9304
    bob9304 Posts: 87
    Options
    My typical day is three meals two snacks, one am one pm, seems to work for me. I just watch the meal content try to keep the fat content down, drink plenty of fluids and exercise every day, sometimes walking sometimes gym. You will do fine just keep plugging away.:smile:
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    My typical day:

Breakfast, 7:30 am
    Big mug of water
    Slice of flax seed or other multigrain toast w/ low-fat PB or 3/4 cup of Kashi cereal and skim milk.
    Coffee with 2% milk and one teaspoon of sugar. Surprisingly, I don't miss using cream.

Lunch, 12 pm
    Amy's Organics burrito
    1 medium-sized apple

Optional snack, 3pm
    100 cal container of Danone Activia yogurt, or
    140 cal Life Brand or Nature's Path granola bar
    If I'm feeling really crazy, ONE piece of chocolate (I try not to, as I don't like to spike my blood sugar)

Pre-workout snack, 6 pm
    Handful of almonds or handful of multigrain low-sodium nacho chips

Workout: 20-30 mins. cardio (elliptical or jogging) and
    20 mins. strength training (alternate between upper and lower body). I change it up and incorporate pilates, power yoga and fitness videos as well. On the weekends I work out in the morning, otherwise I won't do it at all. I have just discovered hot yoga, and am going to try to do one class per week.

Dinner: 7 pm
    Protein + veggie, and a starch if I'm feeling really famished. Lately I haven't been cooking, so dinner has been an Amy's Texas Veggie Burger on toasted flax bread, an organic ready-made salad (pre-washed greens and some cherry tomatos thrown in), and low-fat raspberry vinagrette.

Usually I have some cals left over so if I'm still hungry I'll munch on some trail mix or a granola bar, or some more nachos with a bit of salsa.

A bad day looks like:

Greasy hangover breakfast (recovering from the half-dozen drinks consumed the previous night)
    A huge sandwich for lunch with big hunks of havarti cheese on it
    Heaps of salt & vinegar chips
    Take-out Indian food for dinner or fish and chips
    Beer or wine
    No physical activity except for walk over to 7-11 to get salt & vinegar chips and fitness magazine
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: cereal & skim milk - 2 skinny lattes made at home - makes up a 1/3 of my non-exercise calories
    Lunch: big salad with romaine, feta, & dried cranberries, 2 boca burgers with ketchup
    snack: 2 servings of fruit and a few crackers
    Dinner: whole wheat pasta and veggies - dinner has the most variation

Exercise:
    M: 90 min yoga, 30-40 min walk
    T: 50-60 min elliptical, maybe some sit-ups or the like, 10 min stretch
    W: 60 min strength training class, 30-40 min walk
    Th: 50-60 min elliptical, 10 min stretch
    F: 50-60 min elliptical, 20-30 min weights, 10 min stretch
    S: elliptical or walk
    S: elliptical or walk, 20-30 min weights, 10 min stretch

I'm trying to add another 30 minutes of yoga and another weights class or cardio class. All the elliptical sounds repetitive, but sometimes I do intervals, sometimes all out, sometimes mellow. When I plateau, I really push myself to 85% mhr at least 3 days a week.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Up at 5:30
    1 cup shredded wheat
    1/2 c skim milk
    1 small banana

go to work
    drive standard bus over dirt roads 1 hour. More like wrestling.
    go home

1/2c dannon lite/fit 1/8 c homemade granola

type to all you guys and put food in

smalll salad for lunch
    1 tblpn basalmic vinegar
    1tblp olive oil

cardio or strength training

bring apple for snack

go wrestle with the bus 1 hour

come home
    make supper
    1/2 c veg
    6 oz meat
    3/4 rice or 1/2 potato
    do dishes

enter food for rest of day
    go to bed.

Pretty boring when I type it out soo sad:sad:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    dang forgot to put in about 4-5 coffees a day and 2 32oz nalgenes of water and many trips to the bathroom:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    7:00am What I call my morning snack cause I hate to eat a full meal right away in the morning. So I have a south beach cereal bar and a big travel mug of coffee with sugar free creamer on my drive to work.

9:30ish - usually cottage cheese or yogurt, mixed with blueberries and a couple tablespoons of flax seed.

pre work-out snack: I have this about an hour before working out, so it usually sometime between 11:00 and 12:00. I try to make it a mix of carbs that have sugar, like a piece of fruit or yam, with some protein, usually a handful of almonds.

workout: alternate days of upper body, cardio, lower body workouts. Cardio is usually 50 minutes on the eliptical doing intervals or 30 minutes on the treadclimber followed by 20 mintes on the stationary bike

Lunch: around 1:00 or 1:30 - either leftovers from last nights dinner, grilled chicken salad or a wrap. Today I'm having a BLT! Turkey bacon, with lettuce and tomato on a low-carb whole-wheat wrap. I try to always have a balance of veggie carbs and lean protein with some grain.

3:00 - 3:30 depending on how full I still am from lunch I may have an afternoon snack. I try to do this cause I usually dont' eat dinner until at least 6:30 and if I don't then I've gone about 5 hours without eating and I try not to go more than 3 hours without eating. again I try to just do a simple protien, carb, fat balance like almonds or low-fat string cheese with a piece of fruit.

Dinner: 6:30ish. Lean meat and veggies. I try to stay away from starches at night, so no rice, pasta, unless it's whole wheat and no potatoes.

7:30 or 8:00 I get a dessert. I like all the sugar free puddings! or I'll have a piece of fruit.

I'm in bed by 9:00/9:30and try to have the lights out by 10:00/10:30, up by 6:30. I really try to get 8 hours since many studies say gettng enough sleep is linked to weight.

and I usually drink about 12 8oz glasses of water for the day....

whew, that wore me out just typing the whole thing! :laugh:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Normally-
    Up at 4:45 to pack my husbands food for work.
    5:15 am-make breakfast
    5:30 wake the husband and get ready for the day
    laundry housework
    6:30 wake up my son
    6:45 make kids breakfast and get daughter ready for the day
    7:45 out the door to drop off son at school and go to the gym
    10:00 work from home off and on throughout the day and eat a snack
    12-lunch
    12:30 put my daughter down. Finish around the house
    2:30-pick up son from school
    3:45-take son to karate
    come home make dinner
    6pm-pick up son and then take to wrestling if it is Tue or Thur-karate until 7:30 on Mon and Wed
    7:45 give daughter a bath
    8:00 relax
    9:00 in bed
    repeat
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    5 am breakfast
    9-10 snack
    12 lunch
    3 snack
    5-6 dinner