Are Bananas Bad for You?

Options

Replies

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    whoa!! There's a lot of testoterone in this thread for me...LOL...
    For real.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Most monkeys are in pretty good shape.
  • bigmamma56
    Options
    I know that banana's are a good source of potassium. I used to work in a large general hospital and I observed that a banana was always a quick and ready foood choice for every Doctor on the go.....so thats good enough for me!
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I often mix a banana in with my protein shake after I work out b/c you need those carbs to help the protein get into your muscles!

My answer to your question would be anything eaten in moderation is not bad for you....
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    banana peels can be dangerous

istockphoto_9226639-banana-peel-slip.jpg
  • Heather75
    Options
    banana peels can be dangerous

istockphoto_9226639-banana-peel-slip.jpg

Hahahahahahahahaha! I saw that happen to someone once, and he was carrying two big satchels. It was one of the best things that has ever happened. To anyone.
  • bigmamma56
    Options
    Ha Ha Taso...LOL.....but they are brilliant for cleaning shoes with!
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Most monkeys are in pretty good shape.

Exactly. How often do we see ANY animal in the wild with a weight problem and a calculator? :huh: I wonder if there is something to that????
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    bananas are high in calories but also potassium and other things we need. I find mostly I will eat banana's when Im on my period.. and its actually a reccomend that you do so. I rarely count banana's in my calories when i eat them tho i know that i should but... i'm not going to choose when its something that i really need it does help cramps and it does fill you up... but it really is a yes and no answer. of course they are GOOD for you they are fruits! but if you're trying to go lower in calories and such then no. also you shouldn't eat more than one a day bc that's too much potassium.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    I sure hope not. I have always heard that bananas help with your memory, so i eat one before a big test. Nerdy but hey, Ellie does all she can to pass with flying colors even if those colors are boosted with a little yellow freckled fruit:)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar can hinder weight loss, and also if you are trying to cut out the last little bit and hit a really low bf%, thats how.

What does that have to do with bananas being good or bad? While fruits do have sugar and this sugar can be counted in a generic setting (e.g. nutrition labels and MFP logs), just like fats, all sugars are not created equal, nor will they all have the same effect on the body.

No one has ever gotten fat eating fruit.

Yes, people can and have gotten fat from eating fruit. There have been plenty of people that are on this site eating 5 or 6 servings of fruit in a day's time and wondering why they are not losing weight or some people are even gaining..........

I personally feel that fruit should be looked at as a dessert. Not something you have everyday, unless you eat dessert everyday.

Me, I eat fruit a couple of times per week. Our diets should be vegetable, protein and fat based. Grains, dairy and fruit should be infrequent additions for optimal health........

I eat about a quarter or a third of a banana to help with leg cramps. I get leg cramps often due to my low sodium intake in my diet because I consume little or no processed foods and naturally most raw foods are lower in sodium..........
  • Heather75
    Options
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Wow... just WOW!
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    They're not "bad" for you - they're just not the best choice most of the time.

Bananas have a high glycemic index after they ripen, which means that unless you're eating green bananas, they affect your blood sugar levels similar to when you eat white bread or sugar.

While most fruits like apples contain fructose and glucose, ripe bananas contain an extra kind of sugar: sucrose, which is basically akin to table sugar. That third type of sugar is why they affect blood sugar the way they do, and why a lot of people say don't eat them.

If you have one occasionally, it probably won't throw off your diet. Bananas have a lot of nutrients and benefits. But if you're trying to lose weight, I wouldn't make that your fruit of choice.

Thank you. thkelly this is what I mean....again please read.

yes this is a great answer. unlike your blanket statement that they're good and bad which makes no sense at all.

It made perfect sense to me...
  • alana1966
    alana1966 Posts: 34
    Options
    I was really wondering the same thing when I saw how much sugar was added when I added one to my diary.... :(

Everything in moderation I guess....
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If being super fit and healthy means giving up bananas, then i will be unhealthy with a fat belly forever! :laugh: That being said, while I'm certain the sugars in bananas affect you, I've lost 5 inches off my waist and eat a banana nearly every day. The info listed earlier regarding their glycemic index makes sense, and lucky for me I generally eat them after I work-out. If they help you stay on track (vs grabbing cake or chocolate) I say keep 'em around!
  • zatsdeb
    zatsdeb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bananas are good for you, they are a filling food, and a fruit, but if you eat too many in 1 day the calories add up and carbs!
    1 medium banana..
    Calories 80 Sodium 1 mg
    Total Fat 0 g Potassium 422 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 27 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 14 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 2% Calcium 1%
    Vitamin C 17% Iron 2
  • Ante_Up
    Ante_Up Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Love the banana pistol hahaha

On topic I personally feel bananas are good for you, I love them! But like any food you have to take into account the calories etc.
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana almost everyday since beginning my lifestyle change, hasn't hurt me any. You should be more concerned about fast food, junk food, refined sugar, rather than bananas.
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I often mix a banana in with my protein shake after I work out b/c you need those carbs to help the protein get into your muscles!

My answer to your question would be anything eaten in moderation is not bad for you....

I 2nd this...I do the same thing DIRECTLY after a workout I will make a protein smoothy with 1 scoop protein, 1 banana and a cup of water YUMMY..