can't stop craving sugar!

Options
I admit, I'm a self proclaimed sugar addict. Ever since I really started watching what I eat, I've been doing MUCH better with my sugars. A month goes by with very little craving, but for the last few days, I've been craving it like a mad woman! I try to chew gum, eat fruit, whatever, but nothing is working. What do you do when nothing seems to be helping with your sugar cravings? :/

Replies

• shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    Sugar free candy works for me.
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    Honestly? Eat a little sugar :P

You don't have to cut out everything you once liked, just don't go binge happy and over your calories. A small bite or treat every now and then won't hurt your progress too much and it'll keep you sane.
  • Edivel
    Edivel Posts: 11
    Options
    Im not one to talk becaus no matter how much I want to stay away from white rice and white bread/flour I still eat it ...daily...Im working on it...but for sugar what I do is drink a crystal light or generic make it a bit sweeter than usual and it really curbs my sweet tooth...try it .
  • Ironbeak88
    Ironbeak88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Try evaporated cane juice or oligofructose. It's low calorie, healthy sugar ;)
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Take it from someone who can't have sugar... sometimes you just have to deal with the cravings. Find a way that isn't food centered to distract your mind from the craving. Ya know... journal, do a craft, watch a movie, go for a walk, call a good friend, etc.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I always chew gum, but if that doesn't work I try about one ounce of Menchie's Frozen yogurt with fresh strawberries, blackberries and mangos it really hits the spot!
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Eat a little sugar :P

You don't have to cut out everything you once liked, just don't go binge happy and over your calories. A small bite or treat every now and then won't hurt your progress too much and it'll keep you sane.

haha I have today (a few jelly beans, a 200 cal dessert). I tried to allow myself to have some so that I would stop craving, but it's just not working!

And investing in SF candy would probably be a smart thing to do! :)
  • staceybyerly
    Options
    I am the same way. Sometimes I eat sugar free pudding w/Cool Whip. Seems like a huge treat, but isn't that bad w/calories if you portion control. Today, the sugar won...ate way too many mini Reeces...maybe tom. I will:-)
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Sugar is addictive, and you may not have been aware of your addiction or how much you were actually taking in before starting a healthier diet. Don't cut out all sugar cold turkey, but slowly start to ween yourself off of it. As you transcend into a lifestyle of 'cleaner' eating where you are taking in very small amounts of refined sugar, even things such as grapes or carrots will taste sweet to you after a while! Its truly amazing how you can come to appreciate sugar after you have been away from it for a while.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I agree that if you have tried the gum and fruit and still feel you need to have sugar, have some. Dont let this be a cop out, but if you really just want something, make room in your diary for it, and have it

Maybe try to eat a cadburry egg, they are sooo sugary and delicious that I eat one and never want to eat sugar again...Just a thought :ohwell:

Good luck
  • orierie113
    Options
    Try the Jello Mousse. Its 60-120 calories and you would never know it sugar free. They are great tasting. They have 4-5 diffrent kinds.
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    I always chew gum, but if that doesn't work I try about one ounce of Menchie's Frozen yogurt with fresh strawberries, blackberries and mangos it really hits the spot!

Frozen yogurt with strawberries is THE BEST, just saying :)
  • jinkies54
    jinkies54 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, sugar acts a similar way in our neural pathways as does addictive drugs like heroin. So don't beat yourself up if it feels like a craving because it is! You may even get emotional, jittery, and sluggish without it but if you persist, it will get better with time. I struggle with the same thing and have thought about treating it like a true drug addiction. I work in the field so I'm going to try and implement a few activities and strategies to see if they work on this too.

It's hard, but time and persistence is the healer here.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    See sig!

Try fruit instead of candy. That has pulled me through quite nicely.
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    Options
    Sugar is addictive, and you may not have been aware of your addiction or how much you were actually taking in before starting a healthier diet. Don't cut out all sugar cold turkey, but slowly start to ween yourself off of it. As you transcend into a lifestyle of 'cleaner' eating where you are taking in very small amounts of refined sugar, even things such as grapes or carrots will taste sweet to you after a while! Its truly amazing how you can come to appreciate sugar after you have been away from it for a while.

Oh, I was eating a lot. I think that's where more of my calories were coming from than anything else, unfortunately. I tried to slowly start weaning myself off it before I started counting calories and eating cleaner. I've been doing really well for a month, but these last couple of days are kicking my butt!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Gradually reduce the amount of refined sugar that you consume. I completely cut out refined sugar back in January and it wasn't easy at first, but it only took about a week before my cravings were gone. What worked for me was not having any sugar in the morning. I'd make myself wait until lunch before I had any candy/cookies/etc. After a couple days I made myself wait until my mid-afternoon snack. A couple days later I made myself wait until after dinner. Then, I stopped wanting it after dinner. Now that I've cut out Coke completely I don't want any soda or sweets. I still have a cupcake or a piece of candy once every week or two but I don't want more than one, i can't handle that much sugar.
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    Options
    See sig!

SO TRUE!
  • brobbins178
    brobbins178 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have 3 tricks

1: trail mix (1/4 cup is 170 calories- the chocolate+sugar hits the spot)
    2: cup of fat free strawberry banana yogurt w/ 2 crushed up graham crackers ( depends on the yogurt but it's under 250)
    3: graham treats-s'mores or chex mix- chocolate treats (both under 130 and are delicious chocolaty treats)

I feel it's important not to cave to the craving but also not to let the craving take you down. balance=good and all these sweet treats help curve the craving but not throw you out of whack
  • o_brown1
    o_brown1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way myself. I just eat a 90 cal. bars or snacks
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    Options
    Interestingly, sugar acts a similar way in our neural pathways as does addictive drugs like heroin. So don't beat yourself up if it feels like a craving because it is! You may even get emotional, jittery, and sluggish without it but if you persist, it will get better with time. I struggle with the same thing and have thought about treating it like a true drug addiction. I work in the field so I'm going to try and implement a few activities and strategies to see if they work on this too.

It's hard, but time and persistence is the healer here.

Mental health field over here also, substance abuse prior to that. Maybe making a list of coping skills wouldn't be a bad idea...