Scale wars...

Options
So, I just read an amazing post by a gentleman who lost 102 lbs in 5 months. It was an amazing story, you should look it up! Anyways, he posted that he weighed in every day and then just recorded each new low. I'm intrigued by this. I've been a firm once a week weigher, but I wonder if this would help me be more accountable? Feel more motivated? I LOVE LOVE LOVE getting on the scale and seeing it move down. I think I would love to see it move down more.

So, I know there are proponents of both camps here: the weekly weighers or the daily weighers. Which are you? Have you done both? I need to hear other's reasonings, then I'll weigh and make my own. :)

Replies

• cweenie08
    cweenie08 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i tried doing a once a week weigh in, but it gave me the excuse to eat like crap. for example, i'd weigh in on saturday then eat whatever i wanted thinking i had the entire week til i had to weigh in again. now, i'm weighing myself every single day. it forces me to see my weigh go up and down. and when it goes up i'm motivated for it to go back down. when it does i go down i get that satisfaction that i'm looking for.
  • mok33
    mok33 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine losing that much weight that fast.... but I do weigh everyday, I take into account that there are ups and downs, so I only post my weight once a week....
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Ha! I was just thinking about this today. I weigh in once a week but decided I'm going to change since I weigh myself everyday anyway. I think I'm just going to start logging it whenever I see a loss. Maybe I just need to see more of my efforts than just once weekly...:tongue:
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I try to check my weight every single day, it really helps me stay focused...
  • pmarti5
    pmarti5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i weigh every day, once in morning and once at night. do what works best for you but for me, weighing each day helps keep me on track.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I need to start the day by seeing that number so that I can remember why I'm working so hard. Otherwise it's too easy for me to start to believe that 2200 hundred calories is really hardly anything, and going up to 2500 once in a while is not that big a deal. I gain 70 pounds over 15 years thinking that way.
  • Hmf414
    Hmf414 Posts: 30
    Options
    I weigh in once a week. I tried doing it once a day but seeing the scale go up and down like that actually caused me to lose focus and give up. It's so discouraging to see the numbers go up when your working your *kitten* off to make them go down. So that's why I weigh in once a week.
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 4th week. I had been weighing myself just about daily but last week (week 3) I was not losing and actually gained a pound at one point even though I was below calories (maybe too low?) and getting my exercise in even after getting up at 4am for work and not getting home until 6:45pm. So not seeing the scale go down for 4-5 days actually made me more frustrated, and think what's the point?!! In the end I did up losing for the week.

I'm going to try this week to just wait until my weigh in "day" on Sat morning so I don't get bummed if I'm sticking to it but not seeing results on a daily basis. We'll see how it goes. haha
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. Been here 4 weeks tomorrow.. really more serious about it last 2 weeks.
    I personally likke weighing in everyday. BUT it can come with excitement and disappointment. As I posted in another thread on the same topic earlier today, I went down a bit to 197 on Friday. Sunday was so excited at 195.4, but today, Monday one day later, I am 197.4. So thats 2 pounds down and right back up. And I didn't go over Sunday or eat to badly.. plus I walked alot that day. So many factors in weight each day you have to be ready to see all that.
    Still, I haven't been able to get over the curiosity since the scale is next to the shower every morning.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Have you considered going somewhere in the middle? Like every other day or mid week- instead of either EVERY day or ONCE a week?
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I do weigh myself almost daily. I will skip for a few days after a weekend away or a bad day just to avoid the crash and burn of knowing its gone up. I eat well and drink so much water and then jump back on in a few days. I was doing ww before and online it only lets you submit once a week- i found i cheated bad for 2 days or more til i got closer to weigh in officially. I like making it official and working to keep it that way.
  • Jennrz
    Jennrz Posts: 32
    Options
    I also weigh amost daily but only record once a week. I weigh in daily to keep accountable, but only record Wednesday's weight!
  • jenn2782
    jenn2782 Posts: 47
    Options
    I weigh every morning. And only record when I lose =) It keeps me motivated and makes me more aware of what I'm eating through out the day because the last thing I want to see first thing in the AM is a gain.
  • faerybun
    faerybun Posts: 65
    Options
    Every single day. It's just about the only reason I wake up anymore. And now that my numbers have haulted, I find myself stepping on and off the scale. Before I eat, after I eat, before I pee, after. Holding my cat, not holding my cat. I'm insane. I hate the stupid scale.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I want to weigh every day to keepmyself accountable but know that when the scale goes up, I get depressed and frustrated and think "why the hell do I even bother?" That's where I am now. It's more fun to weigh every day if the scale continues to go down. But, if a fluctuation would bug you, don't do it. We can fluctuate naturally 2-3 pounds based on water, sodium, etc. Some people swear by using a measuring tape instead of a scale. Best of luck to all who posted!
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. It lets me see what the effect of one day of too many calories does if I make poor food choices, so the scale keeps me on track!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    For me weighing in daily would be torture, fluctuates too much on a daily basis. I weigh in on Monday morning to see if I have to do any damage control from the weekend and to set up my week. I weigh in again Friday morning to check progress and hopefully inspire myself to keep on track over the weekend.
  • cath1024
    cath1024 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with that dam scale - i cannot walk into my bathroom without getting on it and yes it is torture as the number goes up and down and are never the same - geesh i even cant even leave it alone when i wake up to go pee at 3am!
    I would love to be able to weigh once a week but i would go insane!
  • carterdjohnson
    Options
    I only weigh once a week, but have on rare occasion weighed myself during middle of week. I am trying to help myself not to focus on the actual weight that I lose, and think more about a new lifestyle that I am creating. Listening to my body and my heart. If I were to give in to the temptation to so closely monitor my weight, that would be the focus. I figure, if I create a sustainable lifestyle, eating a healthy amount, and only healthy foods, then I can keep this up for as long as I need to. If I allow myself the natural fluctuations in weight and willpower, and build in to my regimen the space to be imperfect and make mistakes, then I feel that will only serve to strengthen the new structure that I am building my life upon.

Since I started, I am lucky to have been fairly disciplined about what I eat, and it was fruitful: I lost an average of 1 to 1.5 pounds a week. Now, only this week did I have the time to begin exercising with any regularity. Hopefully, I will be able to build on the small success I have had in the last few months. Finally, I have the two important building blocks in place to create a healthy body and way of living.

I hope to be able to guard against ALL temptations to become obsessive or compulsive about anything. The last thing I want is to replace one obsession with another. I'll need those two building blocks to assist me, along with the support network of my friends and family.

Good luck to us all.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Every single day. It's just about the only reason I wake up anymore. And now that my numbers have haulted, I find myself stepping on and off the scale. Before I eat, after I eat, before I pee, after. Holding my cat, not holding my cat. I'm insane. I hate the stupid scale.

This made me chuckle because I know exactly what you're talking about. Call me obsessed if you want but I weigh myself several times a day. Although, the only time I weigh myself holding one of my cats is when I'm weighing them. :happy: