challenging to eat enough calories...

Options
I am supposed to eat 1,680 calories per day. But I find it DIFFICULT to even consume as much as 1000!!! Daily without going over something else.

Help ?

Replies

• kirstinkrueger
    Options
    I'm watching this! I just have a hard time eating that much period! and My goal is only1200! but I am not going to make myself eat if I am not hungry!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It's ok to be over in some areas. It really comes down to pre-planning. Appropriate food is like a puzzle. :smile: Try more calorie-dense foods like peanut butter (100 calories per tbsp), cheese (100+ calories per 30g),etc.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to be rude, but how'd you get to be over 200 pounds if you can't even eat 1000 calories in a day? It's all in your head. Anyways, try adding calories dense things into your meals. Instead of light mayo on sandwiches, go for regular (or better yet, avocado). Add cheese. Cook your veggies in a little olive oil. Look for higher calorie food items in grocery stores. For example, if you're going to make a wrap for lunch, use one of those tortillas that has 200 calories rather than the one with 100.
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    Don't mean to be rude, but how'd you get to be over 200 pounds if you can't even eat 1000 calories in a day? It's all in your head. Anyways, try adding calories dense things into your meals. Instead of light mayo on sandwiches, go for regular (or better yet, avocado). Add cheese. Cook your veggies in a little olive oil. Look for higher calorie food items in grocery stores. For example, if you're going to make a wrap for lunch, use one of those tortillas that has 200 calories rather than the one with 100.

sickness and medication, and that actually was rather rude.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options

Wow! Just because you say 'Don't mean to be rude' doesn't mean that you aren't making a rude comment.

I have the same problem a lot of days! I know for me personally it was easy to eat a lot of calories when it was mostly coming from junk foods, it can be very hard to get even to 1200 calories when you are making healthy choices. It is ok to go over on some things, not sure what all you track but things like protein I try to go over. But sodium, carbs and fat is what I try to stay under with. Don't worry if you go over on thing by a little bit. Fruits or celery with peanut butter can add some calories quickly and are still good for you. Also nuts are supposed to be a good way to boost your calories and are filling (personally I don't like nuts) but a lot of people snack on them to add calories. Also as was mentioned before planning is great. When I first started I would plan a few days in advance and even put it into my diary ahead of time just to see how the numbers were adding up so I could tweak things a little if I needed to. Good luck ;-)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    dont worry so much about your macros..you can adjust them. i think i do a 50-25-25 ratio.
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options

Wow! Just because you say 'Don't mean to be rude' doesn't mean that you aren't making a rude comment.

I have the same problem a lot of days! I know for me personally it was easy to eat a lot of calories when it was mostly coming from junk foods, it can be very hard to get even to 1200 calories when you are making healthy choices. It is ok to go over on some things, not sure what all you track but things like protein I try to go over. But sodium, carbs and fat is what I try to stay under with. Don't worry if you go over on thing by a little bit. Fruits or celery with peanut butter can add some calories quickly and are still good for you. Also nuts are supposed to be a good way to boost your calories and are filling (personally I don't like nuts) but a lot of people snack on them to add calories. Also as was mentioned before planning is great. When I first started I would plan a few days in advance and even put it into my diary ahead of time just to see how the numbers were adding up so I could tweak things a little if I needed to. Good luck ;-)

On behalf of the OP and me thanks for real advice :)
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options

That wasn't just rude that was horribly ugly. I'm shocked to see that someone who has also struggled with weight loss would be so mean to someone about her weight. Personally I don't think you should point fingers like that. Obviously none of us gained the weight by eating healhy low calorie meals but the focus isn't about what we ate to get here it's what we are doing to change it.
  • crythreetears
    crythreetears Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also find it very hard to consume all of my calories in a day as well. I'm not a snacky type of person. The problem I used to have was Fast Food, which I have not went to in 2 weeks since I started this journey! :)
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options

That rude poster is a teenager clearly lacking some maturity and social grace. Ignore her and carry on!! :flowerforyou:
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    I also find it very hard to consume all of my calories in a day as well. I'm not a snacky type of person. The problem I used to have was Fast Food, which I have not went to in 2 weeks since I started this journey! :)

GO YOU! i cut out fast food and soda and holy amazing difference!!! And im not a snack person either,and i really dont like most junk foods!
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

That rude poster is a teenager clearly lacking some maturity and social grace. Ignore her and carry on!! :flowerforyou:

Agree totally!! You're doing great Kirstin!!
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options

Agree totally!! You're doing great Kirstin!!

So is the orginal poster, who actually wanted her question aswered!!
  • mbyrd1987
    Options
    I have that problem a lot too, I don't think it's too much to worry about. Sometimes I eat 400 calories less and sometimes I eat 400 over, I think as long as we are eating less over time our body loses weight. It actually helps trick your body if you don't eat the same exact amount everyday. (which is one of the things I have to do to lose weight now because my body got used to my pattern before I started here) But if you exercise alot it's very important to eat all of your calories if you can, but if your not hungry, don't force it.=) Examples of what I do... My goal is 1200. Day 1 it may be 800, then day 2 it's right on at 1200 then day three it's probably closer to 1600. But I don't exercise, so that could be a factor? My body seems to respond well to that, not saying its the right thing to do because I'm sure a lot of people on here will tell me it's wrong, but just telling you what works for me.=) Hope that was of some help, =)
  • breannatrevs
    Options

Wow, I cannot believe what I just read.. its unfortunate that MFP has people like you.
    We are supposed to be motivational to one another, but you are not :)
    What you said hurt my feeling and not that I have anything I should have to explain to you but here it goes...
    I got over two hundred ****ing pounds by eating ****! All the time. For the last 25 days I've worked my *kitten* off and ate healthier than I have ever in my entire life. I used to eat many calories that is how I got fat. And I am trying to change that and I am finding that my meals that I eat daily do not reach my caloric expectation and I try to eat things with not much sodium or sugar.
    So yes, it is VERY hard for me to eat over 1000 calories and maybe you should have taken a look at my food diary to clue in.
    I obviously got over 200 ****ing pounds by eating the wrong ****, now im trying to change my life and looking for help to eat the right ****. AND I FIND IT ****ING CHALLENGING TO DO SO WITHOUT EATING TOO LESS OF CALORIES.
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options

Wow, I cannot believe what I just read.. its unfortunate that MFP has people like you.
    We are supposed to be motivational to one another, but you are not :)
    What you said hurt my feeling and not that I have anything I should have to explain to you but here it goes...
    I got over two hundred ****ing pounds by eating ****! All the time. For the last 25 days I've worked my *kitten* off and ate healthier than I have ever in my entire life. I used to eat many calories that is how I got fat. And I am trying to change that and I am finding that my meals that I eat daily do not reach my caloric expectation and I try to eat things with not much sodium or sugar.
    So yes, it is VERY hard for me to eat over 1000 calories and maybe you should have taken a look at my food diary to clue in.
    I obviously got over 200 ****ing pounds by eating the wrong ****, now im trying to change my life and looking for help to eat the right ****. AND I FIND IT ****ING CHALLENGING TO DO SO WITHOUT EATING TOO LESS OF CALORIES.

You go girl! It got to me too! As you can see! This site isn't for people like her, you did not need to explain yourself but I am sure you feel better now :) I would rather be under in cals and eat healthy than meet my goal with junk! She posted the other day that she eats back her calories even if its with cake, cookies, cheetos, or candy cause calories are calories, NO THEY AREN'T. She has lost a lot of weight, but I would like to know how with that kind of diet! <3 you girl! stay strong!
  • amandaj27
    amandaj27 Posts: 10
    Options

Excuse you?? If you don't have constructive or uplifting things to say to people don't say ANYTHING at all... She has a legitimate question about the way to change her life and you respond like an ignorant swine. BTW... I GOT TO BE 200+ LBS BY EATING LESS THAN 2000 CALORIES A DAY because the 2000 calories were all in one meal and my body was storing it as fat everytime. We are all here to learn from each other... and there was no need to be rude because you never know WHY a person is the way they are and really its none of your business.