When is the best time to stand on the scale?

Options
Hey guys,
I was wondering if you guys can help me. I was wondering when is the best time to stand on the scale. I read that if you want to see the real weight you have to do in the morning, but I am not quite sure.
Thanks

Replies

• Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no facts behind this but I weigh myself in the morning. I don't think it matters as much when u weigh as long as u weigh the same time every time.
  • kartunes
    kartunes Posts: 46
    Options
    I heard that too, that in the morning is your true body weight. Not sure either.
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do it in the morning. I think it's all based on preference. Just make sure that you're consistent.
  • missziathediva
    Options
    I was told in the early morning is the best. I guess it is really your choice.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    The reason why I ask, because when I weight myself in the morning I am 82 kg but at the night I am 83.9kg even tho I work out daily:P
  • jmw530
    jmw530 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In the morning, after you use the restroom, before breakfast and no clothing for the most accurate weight. Weighing yourself in the evening is not accurate as your weight fluctuates through the day given food and water intake.
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    In the morning, after you use the restroom, before breakfast and no clothing for the most accurate weight. Weighing yourself in the evening is not accurate as your weight fluctuates through the day given food and water intake.

Yes! And that is where you get your lowest weight for the day too! :)
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    morning is going to me your most consistent weight, after you go to the loo, and with no clothes on... you usually haven't eaten or drunk anything for 8-12 hours so you are always going to get a consistent reading.

in the afternoon it's dependent on what you've had to eat for that day which is always different. in the morning all your food should be pretty much digested...

i often weigh an extra kg or even 1.5kg at the end of the day.
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning after I take care of my bathroom business.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options

agree with this. its just my personal experience and I have no like scientific facts to back it up but that's what I do. I wake up, use the bathroom, shed any clothes and weigh in. I won't even take a sip of water before I weigh now lol
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if you guys can help me. I was wondering when is the best time to stand on the scale. I read that if you want to see the real weight you have to do in the morning, but I am not quite sure.
    Thanks
    I get on the scale 1st thing in the morning, on an empty stomach.....once a week!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is ever a true body weight time. The important thing is to weigh yourself at the same time of day each time to avoid the variations of undigested food, levels of sweat, water retention etc.

Personally, I do Wednesday mornings, post bathroom visit, but pre breakfast. I do the same day each week because my diet and lifestyle changes between weekend and working days.
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me the best is to weigh in the morning after you go to the bathroom and either weigh naked or in the same thing everyday or every time you weigh. He told me there are a number of things during the day that can effect your weight such as gravity, amount of food eatten, exercise, water intake, ect. Your body relaxes as you sleep and it is digesting food and processing everything you had done during that day so when you wake up is when you will get an accurate reading. I am kinda OCD with my scale and so i will weigh maybe upto 3 times a day and usually will weighless in the morning. the only time I find I weighless is usually after I have exercised. A few years back when i was dieting I had weighed myself before exercising and then after I was done and there was an 8 pound difference in just an hour of walking!! The next morning however there was only a .4 loss. So I never really pay attention to any other times I weigh besides the morning. When i weigh at night its usually to see what I'm at because usually if I'm only up 1-2 pounds from the morning I will usually have a loss the next day. Not saying you should weigh more than once a day or every day this is just what I do. Since I've been rambling the point weigh in the morning!!
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Hydrate the day before. Weigh in first thing in the morning naked (or always wearing the same thing).

It makes a big difference, and will be more consistent.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to start standing on it every time before I eat.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Really good read regarding the scale and its inaccuracies...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/160943-why-the-scale-lies
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i like to get her tied up alongside the rail in my bathroom. she isn't ready to be stepped on quite yet, so i rub her side for a few minutes while looking into her eyes.

after a few minutes, her eyes will betray when she's ready for me to step on her. at that point, without taking my hand from her side, i'll swing my leg around and plant that holding foot on the pad, then swing the other foot around (trying not to disturb her too much) and plant that foot on the other pad. then i'll release my hand....

at that point it is up to the scale and my luck as to whether i can stay on her for the full 8 seconds.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options

This works for some, but I never "use the restroom" until an hour or two after I've had breakfast.
    Find a time when your own weight is most consistent. For me, it's when I get home from work, before I have anything to eat or drink. I eat most heavily in the evenings and I'm probably typically slightly dehydrated after cycling home from work. My weight fluctuates by up to 1.5kg over the course of the day, but tends to be consistent to within 100g at that time of day.
  • Stikman
    Stikman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself every day for a week at roughly the same time, it doesn't matter when. Ignore the number (i.e. don't emotionally invest in that day's weight) but write it down on a piece of paper. Add the weeks numbers up and divide by seven. Do the same for the next week.

It will give you a far more realistic idea of whether you are actually losing weight or not.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I'm skinnier in the morning so that works best for me =}