IBS

Options
Does anyone else suffer from IBS? I have struggled for years with this issue. It always seems when I want to change my eating habits to healthy I have horrible issues with my attacks, BUT I do not want to continue on this unhealthy road I have been on. I haven't had many attacks in the past few years, but I have not been very healthy either gaining way to much weight. Now that I am trying to eat more fruits, veggies, salads, and tomato sauce foods I am back to horrible pains and attacks. Any advice from my MFP IBS friends??

Replies

• xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    I'm curious to hear advice as well... I'm eating much healthier but still struggle with the pain/discomfort.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that a lot of people with IBS don't chew enough. I can testify that I do not chew as much as I should (which results in problems later). So I try to chew a lot better now especially raw veggies. Our body has a hard enough time digesting raw veggies already, not chewing doesn't help.
  • allisondollins
    Options
    Have you tried adding a fiber suppliment to your diet? It really helped me.
    4244068 Posts: 1
    Options
    not eating the peelings of fruit and veggies helps me
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    oh my gosh.....I have IBS and chaning my diet has been tough. I had swore off all types of protein and meats accept fish lol and now I can drink protein shakes and eat a lot more veggies and fruits than I used to be able too. I couldnt even eat bananas because of the gas. I eat organic when ever I can, and that really has helped too.

It is gonna get worse before it gets better, your body has to adjust and your stomach is not gonna like the food change. I added an extra fiber drink to my day. I would split it up half in morning and half at night. That seemed to really help and I drink organic herbal tea like no other. Especially at the end of the day.

That really seems to help me too, oh and there is a Senna brand that is a herbal laxative...it doesnt make you run to the bathroom but on really rough days I drink that and it really helps with the bloating and pain.

I wish you good luck, dont give up it will get better..may take a few weeks but it will happen!
  • LisaKBell
    LisaKBell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the fiber supplement - It does help, Also - Ditto on the "will get worse before better" but your body does adjust to not "eating constantly" which is how I self medicated the problem :)
  • amysambora
    amysambora Posts: 219
    Options
    IBS is one of those problems where the same solution won't work for everyone. For me, the only way to find out how to manage it was go on an elimination diet for a couple of months (no wheat, no dairy, no additives/preservatives, no food chemicals - think nothing but rice, potatoes, pears & eggs basically lol) and then slowly reintroduce one food group at a time to see what my triggers are. It's taken a long time but it was worth it. I figured out I have to stay away from wholegrain bread, tea, milk, cheese, apricots, grapes and all artificial sweeteners. There are probably other things but I can't think of them right now lol.
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses. Sometime it is just nice to see that I am not the only one with this issue... I will try some of the ideas and will not give up on healthier eating...
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Paleo eating? Cut out all grains from your diet. The grains are what are contributing to the irritation in your intestines. I'm no expert, just have read a lot about Paleo lately.

I understand that's helped a lot of people with their digestion issues.
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    I have struggled with IBS for years. It comes and goes. One thing that I know for sure is...aerobic exercise helps stop the pain. I think moving around get the gases out of my stomach. I do not eat the skin on apples, peaches, etc. I use to eat a high fiber cereal every morning with blueberries and that helped alot. You need to introduce the raw vegeatables into your diet slowly. Make sure when you do, that you are also eating them along with something else so you have other things in your stomach besides just that. Keep a diary of what you can't tolerate. As you do it more and more, you will be able to eat healthier. Drink lots and lots of water. Good luck.
  • mchlsmit
    mchlsmit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I found IBS to be stress triggered so avoiding stress may help your symptoms - easier said I know. I have cut out all meat as I tended to eat fast food due to a busy lifestyle and it was too tempting to grab a burger, fried chicken or hit the supermarket processed rubbish. I'm not sure about anyone else but stopping all alcohol consumption, staying away from pastry (high fat such as pies, sausage rolls, etc.) also helped. Spicy foods are ok in moderation but you have to find what works for you.

I also find eating smaller meals and using smaller plates stops me over-eating. Oh and fibre supplements can be good if your diet lacks. Finally I find that if i am overweight the problems are much worse so losing a few pounds is a step in the right direction.

Salad, fresh veg, non-citric fruits and low fat, fibre rich foods work best for me. I soon know when I have not been eating well. Hope it helps!
  • sd892310
    sd892310 Posts: 151
    Options
    Hi I have IBS, was diagnosed a couple of months ago (although suspected for long time due to family members having the same) after things got so severe i was hospitalised whilst they tried to get things going again.

I was told that although people are told to eat more fiber, it is not always necessarily the case or best way forward. I was eating a hell of a lot of it and was still having quite severe problems (5weeks without BM), with several different remedies not working, and the doctor said that sometimes too much fiber can do as much damage as too little fibre.

once my initial problem was resolved, to stop it from getting bad again, I was told to try and cut out/avoid all wheat from my diet and ensure i was drinking 2 litres of just water a day (ie not including teas, squashes etc in my 2 litres). I was also told to cut back on dairy, but not have to cut it all out, and eat more fruit and vegetables.

Touch wood before i finally had it diagnosed my BM would vary between 6 days to 8days and in that instance it was 5 weeks, and since i have come out of hospital and followed the advice given to me my BM are normally daily, sometimes every other day, and i have found that my weight is a lot more even (not up and down so much).

IBS is a general term used by doctors when the bowel doesnt work the way that it should, but there can be many variations in the way this happens.

Everyone who suffers with it will have triggers and you need to find out what yours are and try to avoid. The most common ones are:

Wheat intolerance
    Dairy Intolerance
    Stress/Anxiety
    Caffeine intolerance
    Chocolate Intolerance

You probably wont even know you have one or more of these intolerances - i certainly didnt, and i never used to have an intolerance either, but something my consultant said was that sometimes if someone eats too much / a lot of a type of food, ie wheat, dairy etc, even though they are not born with an intolerance their bodies can develop one through too much of the foods.

i guess the best thing to do is look at your diet, see what you eat and what could be triggering it, and try avoiding/substituing them. it may take a bit of time to get it right but you'll find once you have cracked it youll feel lots better in yourself and your weight wont go up and down so much.

hope this is of some help to you!
  • claire_b79
    claire_b79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and have suffered for years. Only in the last year have I gotten it under control by eliminating foods from my diet and taking supplements such as a strong probiotic, vitamin d3 and a super b-complex. I had some allergy testing done and I ended up being allergic to a lot of the foods I was consuming regularly. I also bought this book and it was a godsend...i swear I go around recommending it to everyone I know. The poster who talked about fiber not always being right for people with IBS is correct. The book explains it more. My friend bought this book for her mom after years of suffering from stomach issues and she is like a new woman.

It's called "Why doesn't my doctor know this?" by David Dahlman
    http://www.amazon.com/Why-Doesnt-Doctor-Know-This/dp/160037316X

I still get attacks every now and then but i'm talking maybe once a month versus once a day!
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I found IBS to be stress triggered so avoiding stress may help your symptoms - easier said I know. I have cut out all meat as I tended to eat fast food due to a busy lifestyle and it was too tempting to grab a burger, fried chicken or hit the supermarket processed rubbish. I'm not sure about anyone else but stopping all alcohol consumption, staying away from pastry (high fat such as pies, sausage rolls, etc.) also helped. Spicy foods are ok in moderation but you have to find what works for you.

Yes I agree I learned a while ago that Alcohol was a problem so I stopped right away. High fat is an issue that I struggle with because I love chocolate and like you said crazy life style will go fast food. I try to cut back but some days I fail... It has always been a work in progress.