Strength training routine for old people :)

Options
I am 49 years old, dealing with perimenopause and hypothyroid issues. I have lost 60 lbs or so but it's taken me 3 years. I eat my exercise calories daily. My current exercise routine is 6 days a week: power walking 90-100 minutes M, W, F & Sun, Home low/high combination aerobics 60-90 min T, TH...Sat is my rest day.
I still have at least 40 lbs to lose, but I will be continuing my eating/exercise routine forever so I'm not in a huge hurry. I am guessing that my body composition is still about 85% fat :ohwell: (based on nothing factual :)
My understanding is that I need to build some muscle through strength training to help increase my metabolism and help burn more calories with my current efforts. So...my question is this: Short of joining a gym, what can I do at home as an addition to my current exercise that will help me achieve this goal? Remember, I am old & new to this strength training stuff :blushing:
I have at home an exercise ball (my daughter's, but I will steal it if necessary), a Roman chair, a 10 & 20 lb dumbbell, a barbell with assorted weights (never used any of these before). I need something simple that will not kill my back & I haven't done a push up in 25 years. If there is a video that I can do at home, that would work as well. Any suggestions as to what to do & how often would be much appreciated!

I did search this topic before posting and couldn't really find the answer I'm looking for so if it's out there, feel free to post a link :wink:

Replies

• feliciapeters
    Options
    im 48 myself, try jillian michaels 30 day shred it incorporates 3-5lb hand weights for a combo training of strength & cardio & abs.

ive gotten very good results with it, and so have others.

ive also heard good things about her 30 day shred with weights video but i have not tried it myself.

there are pushups, jumping jacks, etc in the video but she has an "easier version" of all of the exercises
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If you aren't used to anything yet, I would suggest starting with a lighter weight than 10 lbs. I absolutely can not do shoulder exercises, such as starting with my arms by my sides and lifting them straight out to the side, even with my 5 lb. weight.

But, so that you can start right away, start with SOMETHING!

Bicep curls: stand with a dumbbell in each hand. Keeping your elbows down by your side, lift the weights simultaneously towards your shoulders. Lower slowly, repeat until you feel it.

Chest Press: lay with your back on the exercise ball, holding a dumbbell in each hand with your hands near your shoulders, palms facing away from your face. Slowly push the dumbbells up until your arms are soft straight (straight, but not locking your elbows). Lower slowly and repeat until you feel it.

There are more simple exercises like these, but I have to get ready for a meeting! Basically, most exercises which involve a weight bench can be done safely on your exercise ball instead (works the abs more!) as long as you can control the weight.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and started weight training last year. Bought a few dumbbells and a weight bench at a yard sale. I also have a pull-up bar (attaches to the door jam). I do squats (hold dumbbells at shoulder height and squat), lunges, chest presses, leg curls, bicep curls, and various other exercises for different muscles. I do pull ups (up to 7 now) and planks. I started with 5-10 pound weights and am up to 25 in some exercises. I just do as much as I can handle and still do no more than 10 reps before failure.

Oh and I lift on Tue, Thu and Saturday. I run on Mon, Wed, and Fridays. Sunday is rest day.
  • xboomerx
    xboomerx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you have already been doing aerobics then you should probably just transition some of your workouts to more calisthenics. Push ups / Sit ups / Body Weight Squats / Mountain Climbers / Lunges / Planks / Box Jumps / Pull Ups / Chin Ups or resistance bands pull down - these types of exercises will build muscle and you don't really need any equipment except for the bands or a way to do pull ups / chin ups. Increase your protein intake if you haven't already to about 1 gram per pound of "lean" mass.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Start with the Firm DVDs. (any of them but the Wave ones) you will see a change with in 9 work outs and than move on to p90. And than p90x you are not old I'm 48 and I can't believe how strong I am
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 but I used resistance bands right here at home. A lot less equipment and the clean up involves putting everything in the TV cabinet.

PS the bands do make me sore....which means they work right?
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and got very good results with EA Sports Active, but I upgraded to a blue resistance band. You definitely need some resistance sort of exercise in there. Oh and I started 30 day Shred with 1kg weights.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I will look into all of your suggestions. I think I would do best following a video of some sort so if anyone else has any suggestions along those lines, that would be great. I watched some of 30 day shred on Youtube and I'm not sure I'm quite ready for that yet :ohwell: