political correctness

Options
Newfiedan
Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
Ok this is a quasi rant/beef with the whole politically correct thing. Before I get started let me explain that I am in no way racist or sexist. I happen to think that diversity and different cultures are a good thing in today's society. We can all learn from each other and live together in a successful society but this brings me to my problem with the political correctness that I hear about day in day out and I happen to think has gone way to far. We are a country united by its diversity, Canada happens to be home to many cultures and people. I love my country and I love living here but when you immigrate to Canada do you expect us to change everything that we were raised with to change because people have immigrated here and it's not politically correct to practice that in public places? I mean come on, who here would move to another country and expect the culture to bow down to your beliefs and change what they do to accommodate that? I am about 99% sure that you would say no to that question. I know I certainly would not, I go to other countries to experience that culture, learn about it and see what is different from my own. I have worked with probably 9 or 10 different nationalities and we all got along no problems. What spurned this piece is today on the radio on the way into work there was a mother whom works with the community schools and wanted to do something nice for the kids, so she made them all easter eggs (that part is not a religious thing, its a commercial one with the chocolate) and then the teachers said that they could not allow it due to the politically correct agenda and that she would have to rename them "holiday spheres" I am sorry but come on, get a grip here ppl. It is our country, if you do not practice this tradition when you come here then sorry, so sad, suck it up. It is the job of those whom move to another country to learn how to fit in, not change our traditions to fit you in. I would expect no different of myself if I were to move to your country. There has to be a line drawn in the sand so to speak on this deal, and I am all for it to a point, but when it comes to having to alter the core traditions of the majority then I am against it. I have also heard of companies having to cancel christmas parties for this reason among other things. I am all for those whom have come here celebrating their own holidays, that is cool, have at it. However I do not see why we should have to alter ours to accommodate those whom have moved here.

Replies

• girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    I agree with you that it is taken too far, but the PC nature isn't necessarily from people who have immigrated to our country. People who have been here for generations, but still have different (in this case, non-Christian) views would fall under the "let's be PC" umbrella. Any Jewish child in that classroom would not celebrate Easter as a religious holiday. It has become commerical enough, that many of those children, regardless of faith, may take part in the candy/egg party. However, the overall sensitivity is where I am 100% in line with you. Is it really offensive to call something an Easter Egg? That's what it is! It is not a Holiday Sphere. And if that is how far you want to take it, couldn't we take issue with the fact that you are mentioning a holiday at all? If you don't celebrate Easter, you don't recognize that there is a Holiday this weekend. Enjoy the pretty painted egg that has absolutely nothing to do with the occasion and get on with your life.
  • kbickel
    kbickel Posts: 19
    Options
    Holiday spheres? That is a joke!! I'm offended with "Holiday spheres".
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm also offended by "Holiday Spheres"

I think they should be called "Colored Chicken Vent Product"
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am offended by holiday spheres as well. Eggs are elliptical in shape, not circular. That teaches the children of this world to indiscriminately label shapes inappropriately.

On a real note though, I see where you are coming from and I agree to a very large extent. My fiance is a teacher and sometimes I am boggled by the things that she cannot talk about in her classroom. I think that a problem stems from the fact that these religious holidays have been made commercial holidays. Countries based on a distinct separation of church and state should operate under that structure.

In the US, there is a school of thought that thinks "Under God" doesn't belong in the Pledge of Allegiance. I happen to be of that school, not because I would denounce God, but because I would have people of all faiths who live here pledge allegiance to the flag and the core values of what this country is supposed to be about regardless of their religious beliefs. The idea that "Under God belongs because it was how our country was built" is incorrect. The original pledge didn't include religious undertones and our country was actually founded on people trying to escape from religious persecution and governmental imposition.
  • LORR79
    LORR79 Posts: 55
    Options
    "Holiday spheres" is a joke!

I work with pre-school children and this week we are making lots of Easter themed things to celebrate it. When It was Chinese New Year we celebrated that. When it was Eid,yep you guessed it,we celebrated that too!

We are teaching our children to be well rounded individuals who embrace many aspects of different cultures .

Political correctness highlights the difference in my opinion and its adults who have the prejudice not the innocent kids who just see a choclate egg,not a "holiday sphere"
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Many of our traditions are derived from christianity because the church had a huge influence in early Canada. Now the church has a lot less power and influence and we have adopted a secular system. Chosing to seperate religion from public organizations means that we have made our tradition liable to being scrutinized as relevant/appropriate. We chose to be secular, yet we want to hold on to our traditions that are derived from religious celebrations. We are faced with somewhat of a double standard, definitely a delicate situation.
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When It was Chinese New Year we celebrated that.

Start calling it "Asian New year" and see how it goes.
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    I'm also offended by "Holiday Spheres"

I think they should be called "Colored Chicken Vent Product"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Eggs are *NOT* spherical. Talk about poisoning young minds! :laugh:
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    We are faced with somewhat of a double standard, definitely a delicate situation.
    It is only as delicate as those whom enforce this political correctness, I do not see it as delicate at all, rather something which needs to have clear cut guidelines not open to interpretation as it has been for some time now. I have the same beef with those whom say they are "Insert culture here-canadian". I am sorry but if you moved here and got your status as a canadian then you are simply "canadian". I am a newfoundlander, proud to be so and I identify with that first and foremost which is not a bad thing, but I am a canadian and if asked by someone from outside my country what I am I would respond I am canadian, simple as that, I am not newfoundland-canadian.
  • kevanos
    Options
    well I can see how giving easter eggs to little jewish and muslim children could be a problem. The term easter egg has chritianity written all over it no matter how commercial it has become.

Put yourself in the shoes of muslim parents who children are being feed little icons of Christianity in the form or delicious chocolate. Wouldn`t that seem inaapropritate to you too. Imagine if it were the otehr way around an a muslim parents was giving Ramadan cookies to all kids to bring home and eat at sun down, wouldn't Christian parents be offended by that.

It too easy to say, its always been this way, if you look at the situation objectively you might understand the situation better.
  • kevanos
    Options
    We are faced with somewhat of a double standard, definitely a delicate situation.
    It is only as delicate as those whom enforce this political correctness, I do not see it as delicate at all, rather something which needs to have clear cut guidelines not open to interpretation as it has been for some time now. I have the same beef with those whom say they are "Insert culture here-canadian". I am sorry but if you moved here and got your status as a canadian then you are simply "canadian". I am a newfoundlander, proud to be so and I identify with that first and foremost which is not a bad thing, but I am a canadian and if asked by someone from outside my country what I am I would respond I am canadian, simple as that, I am not newfoundland-canadian.

I bet you would let me get away with calling myself French-Canadian tho right.
  • BlkStool
    BlkStool Posts: 13
    Options
    well I can see how giving easter eggs to little jewish and muslim children could be a problem. The term easter egg has chritianity written all over it no matter how commercial it has become.

Put yourself in the shoes of muslim parents who children are being feed little icons of Christianity in the form or delicious chocolate. Wouldn`t that seem inaapropritate to you too. Imagine if it were the otehr way around an a muslim parents was giving Ramadan cookies to all kids to bring home and eat at sun down, wouldn't Christian parents be offended by that.

It too easy to say, its always been this way, if you look at the situation objectively you might understand the situation better.
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I used to be a practicing neo-pagan, a major problem I had with my community was their pc behavior. Limiting one religion hurts all religion, I understand an atheist protesting but obviously not other religious groups. Besides easter traditions are based on pagan and Jewish traditions. Even the word easter comes from ostara a celebration of spring, if I remember right it means egg.
  • BlkStool
    BlkStool Posts: 13
    Options
    I can see how this might anger some. My perspective is that school is not the only place that children are being made aware of religions that are not their own. I would actually be okay with my child coming home with various items from other religious traditions in order for us to have a conversation about the religion and the beliefs of others.

I am not threatened by the faith of others, I think it is a great learning opportunity for naturally inquisitive children.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I bet you would let me get away with calling myself French-Canadian tho right.
    Actually yes I do have a problem with that, you are Canadian first, that is not taking away from your french background one little bit, hey if you are proud of that then cool have at it, but the title "french-canadian" implies that you are not a part of the same country that we are so yes I do have a problem with it, just like I do with those who want to separate from Canada (the bloc) I think that if you are part of that system then you have no place in federal politics. As for the muslim/jewish/whatever being fed bits of christanity I am sorry but easter as per today's standards has nothing to do with the religious aspects of that holiday, how the hell is an easter egg part of christian religion? I am not saying cram our religion down your throat, but go to an Islamic country and try to practice Christianity and see how that goes over. I am not saying that there is an issue with religion per say I am saying that when you come into another country and alter its traditions to suit yourself that it is fundamentally wrong.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I can see how this might anger some. My perspective is that school is not the only place that children are being made aware of religions that are not their own. I would actually be okay with my child coming home with various items from other religious traditions in order for us to have a conversation about the religion and the beliefs of others.

I am not threatened by the faith of others, I think it is a great learning opportunity for naturally inquisitive children.
    thank you, you are a reasonable person, and this is what needs to be adopted by many whom are in this country. We can learn from one another and we should endeavor to do so.
  • arosegeo
    arosegeo Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    if Jews Muslims Pagans or anyone else who isnt Christian wants to celebrate Easter as a commercial holiday, Easter didnt even start as a Christian holiday it just happens to be the same time as Jesus' death and resurrection.The word "Easter" is named after Eastre, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring. so the commercial Easter was festival was held in her honor every year at the vernal equinox.

The Easter Bunny is a rabbit-spirit. Long ago, he was called the "Easter Hare", hares and rabbits have frequent multiple births so they became a symbol of fertility. The custom of an Easter egg hunt began because children believed that hares laid eggs in the grass. The Romans believed that "All life comes from an egg."

Now there is allot of symbolism with it linking all of the original things with Jesus but there is no need to "Correct" things that arent really un-PC
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Newfiedan, I know you're talking about Canada but you could just as well be talking about the United States. I agree with you 100%. I'm sick and tired of all this politically correct nonsense!
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I agree with you that it is taken too far, but the PC nature isn't necessarily from people who have immigrated to our country. People who have been here for generations, but still have different (in this case, non-Christian) views would fall under the "let's be PC" umbrella. Any Jewish child in that classroom would not celebrate Easter as a religious holiday. It has become commerical enough, that many of those children, regardless of faith, may take part in the candy/egg party. However, the overall sensitivity is where I am 100% in line with you. Is it really offensive to call something an Easter Egg? That's what it is! It is not a Holiday Sphere. And if that is how far you want to take it, couldn't we take issue with the fact that you are mentioning a holiday at all? If you don't celebrate Easter, you don't recognize that there is a Holiday this weekend. Enjoy the pretty painted egg that has absolutely nothing to do with the occasion and get on with your life.

What she said!
This discussion has been closed.