How to Calculate calories burned?

Options
My treadmill has a feature to estimate how many calories I am burning. When I plug it into MFP to track my exercise, MFP is always at least half lower than what my treadmill says I've burned.

Which one is more accurate? Is there any way to truly tell?

I do want to say I am a bit disappointed in the exercise options on MFP. For instance with walking, you only have very few choices when in reality there are tons of options.

Replies

• wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Users are free to add exercises. This site is a great resource: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

I've entered several things from that site that weren't here before, like stepping machine and painting, etc.
  • waterbabeAD
    Options
    I don't ever rely 100% on any gym machine readings, and treat them more of a guide to track progress.

Each week I go to a time/distance running club fixture and that is accurate. I am faster running on the road than the readings ever state on the treadmill. But I see that as a positive thing. At the end of the day, it is about builing up your fitness and increasing your activity.

I dont think there is any technology that can give you totally 100% accurate readings IMHO.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    They both aren't accurate but MFP is closer due to calculating your weight. The adv. treadmill has no idea how much you weigh..
  • melon_e
    melon_e Posts: 58
    Options
    I depend on my heart rate monitor to determine how many calories i've burned. My elliptical and MFP kept giving conflicting numbers too, so that is why I got a HRM. As far as entering exercises, you can create your own exercise category. I do it all the time depending on what i've done.
  • booboocraig
    Options
    I bought myself a hrm polar watch with chest strap after inputting all my details it gives me calories burn't.....I too use the treadmill ....i would personally buy one as you also can see where your fat burning zone is !!

until then use the treadmill calories they are around the same as you really burn.....but as said for a more accurate reading buy a polar hrm :)
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    the best way is to use a HRM that will give you a true number. You might be actually burning less then you what your calorie counter is telling you. I do see a big decrease in calories burned as you lose weight.
  • L4iney
    L4iney Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi

You can add any exercise option you wish to the database exactly the same way as you do with food.
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I will definitely try that out y'all. Thanks for all the suggestions :)