political correctness

Options
13»

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with them being proud of it, but if asked I would say that I am canadian not newfoundland-canadian. I do not think there is anything wrong with being proud of where you hail from or celebrating it, I do however have a problem when that turns into crying about separation from canada to preserve that. I fully admit that I am quite sensitive about the topic and have very strong opinions on it. The fact that my username is Newfiedan has no bearing on my views and it does not imply a double standard by any means. I have a problem with stamping out anyone's views on this, political correctness has gone to far which is what the original post was all about. It is not about altering my personal views, I am not religious nor will I ever be because I view things from a different perspective than many. I think outside the box which makes me good at what I do as a career and has made me successful in nearly every aspect of my life. So this post to be 100% clear is not about infringing upon my personal belief, it is about us having to suppress that belief because we are told it is not "pc".
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with them being proud of it, but if asked I would say that I am canadian not newfoundland-canadian. I do not think there is anything wrong with being proud of where you hail from or celebrating it, I do however have a problem when that turns into crying about separation from canada to preserve that. I fully admit that I am quite sensitive about the topic and have very strong opinions on it. The fact that my username is Newfiedan has no bearing on my views and it does not imply a double standard by any means. I have a problem with stamping out anyone's views on this, political correctness has gone to far which is what the original post was all about. It is not about altering my personal views, I am not religious nor will I ever be because I view things from a different perspective than many. I think outside the box which makes me good at what I do as a career and has made me successful in nearly every aspect of my life. So this post to be 100% clear is not about infringing upon my personal belief, it is about us having to suppress that belief because we are told it is not "pc".

I call 'em like I see 'em. You haven't changed my mind about the underpinnings of your position.
  • lazygalina
    Options
    I agree completly!!! I am celebrating 2 christmas - regular, december 25 and russian orthodox January 7 - i never told my daughter, that she can not go to christmas celebration with other kids.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    If you want to celebrate whatever you want to celebrate, why does it have to be at school, do it on your own time in your own home. Especially if your celebration is religious in nature, it shouldn`t be practiced at school.

Does that include praying? Because quite frankly I'll pray or celebrate my Christianity anywhere I want too. I don't stop being a Christian because I walk outside my door at home. If someone else doesn't want to celebrate the same things I celebrate that's fine. I'm not about to tell them they have to. But for someone to say I can't celebrate outside my own home really gets on my fighting side!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    If you want to celebrate whatever you want to celebrate, why does it have to be at school, do it on your own time in your own home. Especially if your celebration is religious in nature, it shouldn`t be practiced at school.

Does that include praying? Because quite frankly I'll pray or celebrate my Christianity anywhere I want too. I don't stop being a Christian because I walk outside my door at home. If someone else doesn't want to celebrate the same things I celebrate that's fine. I'm not about to tell them they have to. But for someone to say I can't celebrate outside my own home really gets on my fighting side!

Ditto. It is getting to the point where it is only ok to do and believe whatever you want as long as it is never in front of anyone else who may believe or think differently.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I used to be a practicing neo-pagan, a major problem I had with my community was their pc behavior. Limiting one religion hurts all religion, I understand an atheist protesting but obviously not other religious groups. Besides easter traditions are based on pagan and Jewish traditions. Even the word easter comes from ostara a celebration of spring, if I remember right it means egg.

I am an atheist and I wouldnt protest it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm also an atheist, and I'll eat any chocolate anyone offers me under any name! :laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    But to be serious, isn't school a time and place where we should teach kids about other cultures and beliefs? From my point of view, it's no different than teaching mythology. We learned about Greek and Roman mythology. Maybe even a touch of Norse and Egyptian. At one point in time, those WERE their religions. Learning about them didn't make me worship Zeus, Jupiter, Thor or Ra. It just made me really good at Jeopardy.

But that would include teaching kids about the real history behind their holidays, and how a lot of the symbolism behind Christmas, Easter, etc were pagan in origin. It was easier to get the druids and picts to give up their gods than their celebrations. :wink:
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I am offended by the very term "Politically Correct." It presumes or declares what is "correct." I prefer "Socially Preferred" or something that acknowledges sensitivity without mandating a value judgement. If any political entity determines my morality, just shoot me now.

HAHA - just imagining certain politicians trying to even define "morality" let alone put it on a piece of paper for people to follow. That would be a messed up morality.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    I am offended by the very term "Politically Correct." It presumes or declares what is "correct." I prefer "Socially Preferred" or something that acknowledges sensitivity without mandating a value judgement. If any political entity determines my morality, just shoot me now.

HAHA - just imagining certain politicians trying to even define "morality" let alone put it on a piece of paper for people to follow. That would be a messed up morality.

Unfortunately (and paradoxically) the ones who scream the loudest about the tragedy of *political correctness* are the same folks who actually DO want to legislate morality. They want to control sexual and reproductive behavior, govern marriage, pretend the US President was born in another country, etc.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options

I have no problem with you praying, as long as it is not interfering with anybody.

Muslims needs a time and place to worship, and it bugs me that schools have to accomodate for this. Do you religion on your own time at your own place of worship, at school I really don`t feel that I should have to deal with your religion.

So if you want to do Easter, don`t do it at school.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Eggs are *NOT* spherical. Talk about poisoning young minds! :laugh:

Holiday Ellipses?
  • Atlantique
    Options

I have no problem with you praying, as long as it is not interfering with anybody.

Muslims needs a time and place to worship, and it bugs me that schools have to accomodate for this. Do you religion on your own time at your own place of worship, at school I really don`t feel that I should have to deal with your religion.

So if you want to do Easter, don`t do it at school.

This thread is heading for lockdown in 5...4.....3...2...1
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Nice timing ^^ , lol.

Sorry everyone, this topic violates forum rules:
    13) Topics about politics, religion, or sexuality are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about either of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss either of these topics, please google political forums, religious forums, etc. - there are plenty of other places to express your views.

Stormieweather
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.