Jillian vs. Bob

Options
2»

Replies

• arjames82
    Options
    ohhhhhhhh. that explanation was great! I get it now. how do I find out what my basal metabolic rate is? lol

Check out www.bmr-calculator.net .....after you input your info it will calculate your BMR. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but at least you'll have an idea. :happy:

Yeah, there are tons of online calculators to find your basal metabolic rate. If you have access to a gym that uses the Polar Body Age Machine, that is probably the best method because it's not just making a guess based on your height, weight, and age....it's uses actual measurements of the following: Weight, Body Fat (pinch test), Cardio Fitness (VO2 Output), Flexibility (sit and reach), and Strength (bicep curl). When I take tests online, I'm told my BMR is around 1600, but based on this test it is 2099. I think at my height and weight, online tests just assumed that I am morbidly obese :mad: but in actuality, my lean mass is much higher than my fat mass, which is why my BMR is so high. I think my body fat mass was around 28%.
  • bazuukajoe
    bazuukajoe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It seems this post has been officially hijacked! :drinker: lol. Sorry. Back on topic. I've only watched the biggest loser a few times, but when my fiance and I watch it I always end up mentioning to her that they must eat THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of calories in order to keep up that exercise. And I also mention that it would be way hard for you to keep that weight off because once you got off of the show your environment wouldn't be controlled anymore. I honestly I think ANYBODY could lose weight if under controlled circumstances like Biggest Loser. Let's see, they make you eat what they want you to eat, and make you work out when they want you to work out... You really have no choice or say in this if you want to stay on the show. Of course, you can decide how hard you want to work out, but that's besides the point. If you are majorly overweight, it's almost impossible not to see big changes. My fiance always says she wants to go on the show, but honestly I think once she got home she would just gain all the weight right back...
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    Oprah had Jillian and Bob on her show and they showed people that had great success and they also showed people that gained their weight back. It was a great show. Maybe you could go to the Oprah website or youtube and watch the episoide. :flowerforyou:
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    This is how I look at it. The people on BL are pushing their bodies way past starvation mode and no matter how much their bodies try to hold onto the weight (think week 2 plateau) it just can't happen.

In real life, we can't and probably shouldn't be doing that level of work. We don't have doctors and trainers watching our every move.

You can eat your exercise calories or not. It is up to you. Personally, I want to succeed at this and don't want to see my body shut down. I would rather take it slow and actually get to my goal weight than try and sprint only to run into a road block in two months. I eat close to my BMR, because that was the magic number that helped me start losing and not feel like I wanted to chew my arm off. I eat my exercise calories, knowing that my goals are set in a way that allows for a small deficit on top of what I already have built into my goals.
  • vegasmellie
    vegasmellie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    so my BMR was 1474. does that mean I need to eat 1000/day? that isn't too low?
  • NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    This is a bit off topic from the original post, but I missed the Biggest Loser episode of Oprah...Anyone know where I can watch it?? I tried youtube.com...Nothing there. :ohwell:
  • vegasmellie
    Options
    I missed it too and I record Oprah everyday! weird...
  • DjBliss05
    Options

That means you should have your goals around 1474 calories/day. Mine is set just below my BMR. I used 1.5 lbs per week as my goal.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    This has been interesting. BMR, eating exercise calories, missing Bob & Jillian on Oprah.

So let's go back to Jillian vs Bob
    Who would you pick?
    I'd pick Jillian. I love her style of no nonsense, kick butt attitude.
    I like Bob and if he was my trainer I would not complain.
    Kelly
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    jillian says add a 0 to your goal weight. like mine is 145, so my calories perday would be 1450. you just keep it there forever. that's what was said in one of the books.

This can not possibly be right because my goal weight is 115. That means I should only eat 1150 a day to maintain. That is horrible. She must be mistaken. That would be extreamly unhealthy.
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I would pick Jillian by the way. I love how hard she is but she keeps them so motivated at the same time.
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    I personally do eat my exercise calories. I have found that if I don't, I feel sick, tired, nauseated, and have migraines. It's not worth it not to. I don't need to lose 10 lbs a week, 1 a week makes me happy
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    I would pick Jillian. She kicks butt!
  • Brynn
    Brynn Posts: 7
    Options
    I have been on MFP and eating healthfully/working out for 3 months. First two months have been great.

The past month, I dropped three pounds week one, stayed the same week 2, and jumped up three pounds week three. Basically, if I am the same weight as last week, I will have lost no weight this month. I am young, healthy, very active, and dedicated to my meal plan. What has changed in the past month? I've started eating my exercise calories.

So Saturday (weigh in day) is decision day. If I am down at least three pounds (to make a month average of 3 lbs) I will continue with the eating the exercise calories. If not, its back to a 1500 baseline for me.
  • vegasmellie
    Options

That means you should have your goals around 1474 calories/day. Mine is set just below my BMR. I used 1.5 lbs per week as my goal.

" My basal metabolic rate is 2099 (based on test performed by trainer) which means that is how many calories I will burn just for existing everyday. So I eat between 1500-1599 calories per day to create to 500 calorie deficit. Since 1lb = 3500 calories, creating that deficit 7 days a week should cause me to lose 1 lb per week. When I exercise, that increases that daily deficit, which in turn increases my weight loss. "

so if my BMR is 1474 minus the 500 deficit, that takes me around 1000. if I eat exactly the amount I burn where's the deficit? no wonder I haven't been losing much.
  • arjames82
    Options

" My basal metabolic rate is 2099 (based on test performed by trainer) which means that is how many calories I will burn just for existing everyday. So I eat between 1500-1599 calories per day to create to 500 calorie deficit. Since 1lb = 3500 calories, creating that deficit 7 days a week should cause me to lose 1 lb per week. When I exercise, that increases that daily deficit, which in turn increases my weight loss. "

so if my BMR is 1474 minus the 500 deficit, that takes me around 1000. if I eat exactly the amount I burn where's the deficit? no wonder I haven't been losing much.

I'm no nutrition expert, but 1000 calories sounds really low to me. You may want to consult with a nutritionist. Remember, your BMR is the amount of calories that your body burns just to carry out it's basic fuctions. Once you get out of bed for the day, that number actually increases (mine was 2636/day). My trainer said that I could probably eat the 2000 calories that is my BMR and still lose weight, but I chose to reduce down to the 1500, which he also said is fine. The biggest thing is that you have to consume less calories than you expend every day. I'm actually doing an experiment today where I am wearing my HRM all day and night to see how many calories I actually burn in a 24 hour period. I'm curious to see how close that number is to my BMR that we calculated at the gym. I can tell you that I've had this thing on for 6 hours and 47 minutes and I've already burned 1102 calories just sitting at my desk at work. I've only eaten 800 calories so far, so I'm already at a deficit for today.
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I saw them on the Oprah show and they do not eat their exercise calories. If I remember correctly the women I think either get a 1200 or 1400 calorie diet and the men either get a 1600 or 1800 calorie diet and they can burn anywhere up to 6000 calories a day. No wonder it is so hard to maintain once they get home and get into real life.

Connie

That's a crazy low amount of cal's to intake when they are working out for 4-5 hrs per day!! That was an interesting link that you found - I would definately pick Jillian over Bob.
  • arjames82
    Options
    And to get back on topic....I would choose Jillian. I think she's the best. Bob always seems to be stronger throughout the season, but Jillian has had more finalists and 4 out of the 6 winners were Black team members.
  • vegasmellie
    Options
    thanks for all the info.

and I would definitely pick Jillian. The BL has been one of hers every season except for the one she wasn't on! she's tough, but she sure gets results!