Diet Pop Cake

Options

Replies

• NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My newest concoction is to "ice" them with low fat nutriwhip - the icing is only 30 calories total!!!!!

Nutriwhip? What is this?!? And where do I find it?
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    No, it won't magically take away calories... otherwise I would whip everything!!! :laugh: But lets say by whipping 1 cup of frosting and getting 2 cups of whipped frosting (1/2 frosting 1/2 air) then you could technically say that it has 1/2 the calories.... does that make sense??

Damn. I guess I'm going to stop beating this cookie then.:huh:
  • monica5237
    Options
    No, it won't magically take away calories... otherwise I would whip everything!!! :laugh: But lets say by whipping 1 cup of frosting and getting 2 cups of whipped frosting (1/2 frosting 1/2 air) then you could technically say that it has 1/2 the calories.... does that make sense??

Anna Put the cookie down and step away from the cookie. just step away from the cookie:wink:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options

Anna Put the cookie down and step away from the cookie. just step away from the cookie:wink:

But it worked for the frosting:bigsmile:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Does your cake actually rise?
    I tried this last spring with mystudents and there was little rising and it was sticky....any pointers? I didn't have them use eggs at all, is that what I am missing?:grumble:

My kids are allergic to eggs, so I also add an egg substitue if I make it in a pan (otherwise the cake will not come out of the pan!). When you make cupcakes, you don't need the egg substitue (which is a binding and rising agent - guar gum and sodium bicarbonate). The cake does not rise very well without the egg substitute (doesn't matter too much with cupcakes - although they are denser, and one mix only makes about 18-20 cupcakes instead of 24).

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    My newest concoction is to "ice" them with low fat nutriwhip - the icing is only 30 calories total!!!!!

Nutriwhip? What is this?!? And where do I find it?

Nutriwhip is readily in Canada (are you in the US?) and can be found in the dairy section of the grocery store. It is similar to "Cool Whip" except that it stands up to icing better, and doesn't liquify as quickly. Although it is not natural in any way, it is a welcome treat at my house as we have dairy allergies (and it's REALLY low cal!).
  • monica5237
    Options

But it worked for the frosting:bigsmile:

I wished it worked on everything :cry: :wink:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Does your cake actually rise?
    I tried this last spring with mystudents and there was little rising and it was sticky....any pointers? I didn't have them use eggs at all, is that what I am missing?:grumble:

My kids are allergic to eggs, so I also add an egg substitue if I make it in a pan (otherwise the cake will not come out of the pan!). When you make cupcakes, you don't need the egg substitue (which is a binding and rising agent - guar gum and sodium bicarbonate). The cake does not rise very well without the egg substitute (doesn't matter too much with cupcakes - although they are denser, and one mix only makes about 18-20 cupcakes instead of 24).

Good luck!

Thanks! I will try it with egg substitue in my nutrition class tomorrow!
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    Another great "cake" recipe is a box of spice cake and a can of pumpkin! Mmmmm, delish with some cool whip on top! Good for thanksgiving since pumpkin becomes all the rage around then! :)
    Heidi
  • NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I tried this out with a Double Chocolate cake mix and Diet Coke-It is AWESOME! Someone had said that their cake didn't rise, so I put mine in an 8x8 pan and skipped the egg substitute and now I have a thick, "fluffy" (for lack of a better word!), unbelieveably moist cake!! I don't even need to use light whipped cream or any kind of topping because the cake is so moist it tastes like we poked holes in the top and drizzled melted chocolate inside the cake...Geez! Can't wait to have a piece after work!!
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the diet pop would work with waffle mix....
  • monica5237
    Options
    I just wanted to share with you guys that I made this cake and it was great the most moist cake I have ever had.

I used a strawberry cake mix

16 oz of diet 7-up

one egg

then for the topping it was

strawberry cool whip sugar free fat free

and fresh strawberries

I plan to make a pinapple one

pineapple cake mix

16 oz deit 7-up

1 egg

for the topping

suar free fat free cool whip (Regular white)

and fresh pinapples on top
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Thought I would bump this up for the newbies!
    My daughter made some this afternoon.
    Devil's food cake with a can of coke zero ( we actually use about another 2 oz for another can or use 14 oz from the 2 liter bottle). That's it cake mix and coke zero. She made 20 cupcakes out of them. About 120 calories per cupcake. Top them off with some FF or no sugar cool whip or sugar free pudding...yummy...
  • Robstam11
    Robstam11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I got another version of this a few years back from WW as well. For this version you take frozen fruit, peaches, berries we even did apples one time, place it in the bottom of a 9 x13 pan. Take a white cake mix and dump it dry over the top of the fruit. Then you pour a can of diet soda over the top, I ususally used diet 7 up or coke. I dont remember the exact baking instructions, but It was baked covered with folil for 30 minutes and then uncovered I think another 25??? Temp as suggested on box. This was really good.

Our leader made it once using chocolate cake mix, a can of light cherry pie filling and then the soda.

Tammy
  • DawnInOhio
    DawnInOhio Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just made this tonight with dark chocolate fudge cake mix and Pepsi one. Wow...this is crazy! It is SO GOOD! Thank you for this recipe!:bigsmile:
    What are you doing with MY BOYFRIEND Heat Miser??? You just ruined me for probably another 4 months....every year around Christmas I sing to my dog (his name is Boo) He's Mister Boo Miser, he's mister fun..." I can't get it out of my head!

So, back to the cake, what changes about the the cake compared to the regular instructions? Different texture or taste?
  • csnealey
    csnealey Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Going to make it tonight. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks!
  • csnealey
    csnealey Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    IT WAS FANTASTIC!! I USED LEMON CAKE MIX WITH ONE 16 OZ. BOTTLE OF DIET SUNDROP. I ALSO MADE MY OWN FROSTING. I MIXED 4 OZ. OF CREAM CHEESE (FAT FREE), 1 TUB OF FAT FREE COOL WHIP, AND ONE 3.5 OZ PKG. OF LEMON PUDDING. OH MY, IT WAS DELISH!!!:love::love:

MAKE SURE YOU BEAT THE CREAM CHEESE UNTIL SMOOTH BEFORE ADDING THE COOL WHIP AND LEMON PUDDING MIX.:flowerforyou:
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I am so excited!! I LOVE Diet Coke. Now I can have my cake and eat it too!!! Thanks!
  • chunkabutt25
    chunkabutt25 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    bump. This looks yummy!
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    tag!