Early morning workouts- how to make it happen??

Options
Hi all-

I love the occasions when I do manage to wake up and get my workouts done before the family wakes up. It makes my day go so much better.
But most of the time, it is very hard for me to wake up and get going. I know, I just need to DO IT, but it's easier said than done.

Any early birds out there with tips on how to get into a routine?....:smile:

Replies

• iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    Gotta watch this thread for tips! Im a LAZYBONES I like to sleep in.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tricks, I just know if I get out of bed and workout before everyone else gets up, I'll feel SO much better. It helps to peek out the window. Seeing the outdoors really wakes me up, for some reason.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    For me... If I set my alarm for it, and have the alarm clock across the room where I physically have to get up to turn it off... then I'm generally awake for the morning and can't get back to sleep... so if I go back to bed then it is like I got up 5:30 for nothing! Try moving your alarm clock farther away so you actually have to get up/wake up to turn it off.
  • nimmi1302
    nimmi1302 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For me... If I set my alarm for it, and have the alarm clock across the room where I physically have to get up to turn it off... then I'm generally awake for the morning and can't get back to sleep... so if I go back to bed then it is like I got up 5:30 for nothing! Try moving your alarm clock farther away so you actually have to get up/wake up to turn it off.

Thanks!
    I like this idea! I will do this tomorrow morning ! Hope it works ...
  • alexandraviolet
    Options
    I am also NOT an early bird but I have also recently started working out in the early morning before work!! What helps me the most is getting to bed at the SAME TIME every night and not sleeping in too late on the weekends. It is still hard to get up in the am but when your body adjusts to the schedule it gets A LOT easier!! :) I go to bed at 10:30 PM, wake up at 5:30 AM for workouts...( I function well on seven hours, you may be fine with less or need more) and only sleeping in until 7:30 AM or so on Saturdays and Sundays. Good luck! The tip about putting the alarm clock in another room or far away works great too!
  • emilysuzanne
    emilysuzanne Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that if you try this it helps. Say the word 'wow' using allll your face muscles starting from squeezing all your muscles inward than really popping em out making bug eyes. haha.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I have a hard time working out unless I have "scheduled" it, like any other appointment. After all, I wouldn't be late for work or for a dental appointment, or to get my kids to school when they were younger. It's when it becomes a choice that I have problems. Try to remove the "choice" factor.
    Maybe sleeping in your workout clothes, that way you don't have to wake up in your jammies and think, "I'll work out later, after I get changed".
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    At bare minimum, I have to set my clothes out on a chair right outside of my bedroom. Sometimes if I feel like I'm at risk for getting to bed too late to the point where I risk blowing off my workout in the wee hours, I sleep in my workout clothes so I can just put my shoes on and go when that alarm rings.

It also *does* help to have the experience of sleeping in and the knowing that it's not really worth it. I have more energy if I get up at 5 am and work out than I do if I sleep 'til 7 and miss my exercise time.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Get a work-out buddy.
  • nimmi1302
    nimmi1302 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    quote]
    Get a work-out buddy.
    [/quote]

I have one for the weekends, but on the weekdays I am pretty much on my own , running on the treadmill. But the buddy system does work very well! :smile: