Any veggies/vegans out there?

Options
Hi! :flowerforyou:

I was just wondering if you have been a vegetarian/vegan for long, or if you have adopted the lifestyle to help with your weight loss?

I have been veggie for the better part of two years, though I don't eat any eggs or drink cows milk. I still have cheese when we go out from time to time, but I really try to limit it, and have come close to cutting it almost completely out.

What are your favorite vegan foods/snacks?

I tell you what, I certainly do NOT miss paying for meat! I saw at Publix that Lean Ground Beef was 7$ a lb!!!! :noway:

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    primal stips makes vegan beef jerky that even my meat eating fiance likes!! They have tons of flavors, Thai peanut is my favorite!!
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    primal stips makes vegan beef jerky that even my meat eating fiance likes!! They have tons of flavors, Thai peanut is my favorite!!

I'll have to look that up! Never heard of it! Right now, I'm in LOVE with Kale Chips. I don't really know why. That and Veggie Melts.
  • alexia_faith
    alexia_faith Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 12 years (this November)

On the rare times I ate meat before giving it up i only ate chicken and occassionally bacon or beef, but i disliked the taste and texture

Fave Veggie Snacks... Hmmm it varies depending on the time of year

Sometimes its fruit
    Sometimes its cous cous in tortilla wrap with mushrooms or tomatos on the side

Or when all else fails raisen oat flapjacks :)
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options

omg me too - my campus store sells them, and I've tried just about all of the flavors as well.. thai peanut and mesquite lime are the best ones :)
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    Vegetarian for 12 years (this November)

On the rare times I ate meat before giving it up i only ate chicken and occassionally bacon or beef, but i disliked the taste and texture

Fave Veggie Snacks... Hmmm it varies depending on the time of year

Sometimes its fruit
    Sometimes its cous cous in tortilla wrap with mushrooms or tomatos on the side

Or when all else fails raisen oat flapjacks :)

WOW! :happy: 12 years! Thats awesome!

I never really liked the taste or texture either, so it wasn't hard to give up. We are raising our little boy as a veggie too! I love when people compliment me on how tall he is, or how active he is, and mostly how well behaved he is! I really think that kids go nuts when you load them up with crap. Right now he is snacking on Red Bartett Pears and Nutella. :smile:

I do love cous cous! And Quinoa too. Do you have a recipe for the flapjacks?
  • alexia_faith
    alexia_faith Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    200g raisins
    225g unsalted butter
    125g soft brown sugar
    150g marmalade
    Finely grated zest of one orange
    2tbsp black treacle
    400g rolled oats

1.Preheat the oven to 180c/Gas Mark 4
    2.Cover the raisins with boiling water, leave for 10 mins to soften and swell, then drain
    3.Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the brown sugar, marmalade, orange zest and treacle, and bring just to the boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the oats and drained raisins
    4.Line a 25cm square tin or similar with foil, spoon in the mixture and pack it down evenly, right into the corners
    5.Bake in the oven for about 25 mins, until lightly coloured at the edges. Do not cook for too long or the flapjacks will turn rock hard when cold; bake them too little and they will crumble
    6.Remove from the oven and leave until warm before cutting into 16 squares
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegan or a vegetarian, BUT I love to read food blogs, and my favorites happen to be vegan/vegetarian:

ohsheglows.com

AND

neverhomemaker.com
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 15 years and a lactose intolerant veggie for a year before that. In general my snacks are a handful of raw cashews or almonds or a piece of fruit. I'm not a big snacker. I prefer to spend my calories on good dinners like "My Favorite Lasagna" from the fat free vegan blog. That lady really knows her stuff. It's even better with some daiya vegan mozzarella on top. My omnivore boyfriend even loves it.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    I am not a vegan or a vegetarian, BUT I love to read food blogs, and my favorites happen to be vegan/vegetarian:

ohsheglows.com

AND

neverhomemaker.com

OH! Thanks! I'll be sure to check them out!
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    I've been vegan for 15 years and a lactose intolerant veggie for a year before that. In general my snacks are a handful of raw cashews or almonds or a piece of fruit. I'm not a big snacker. I prefer to spend my calories on good dinners like "My Favorite Lasagna" from the fat free vegan blog. That lady really knows her stuff. It's even better with some daiya vegan mozzarella on top. My omnivore boyfriend even loves it.

I Love the Fat Free Vegan! :smile:

I'm not big on big meals, I'm more of a grazer... LOL!
  • jovie929
    jovie929 Posts: 20
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 3.5 years now and I love it! :) I did it for the animals, but the recipes are also amazingly tasty. I'm a huge huge huge fan of tofu. MMMMM!!!
  • BeckyTJ
    BeckyTJ Posts: 3
    Options
    I've been a vegan for 12 years and a fan of snacking for much longer!

Hummus and veggies is a big snack food for me (I portion control by buying those itty bitty tupperware containers to put the hummus in, or use the hummus-to-go size at the grocery).

I also like smoothie-milkshakes. I drop a banana and whatever berries I have in the house in a blender with 1/2 cup light silk soymilk. If I feel like a real treat, I add a couple tablespoons of chocolate syrup or chocolate chips. This works best when the bananas are frozen - tastes like a delicious milkshake!

Crasisons are delish too and quick.

Quesadillas make a good snack - one tortilla, some daiya cheese (melts well!), and fresh spinich in a cast iron pan, and voila. Instant goodness!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have been a strict vegetarian for 20 years. Nothing to do with health, I just refuse to allow a living thing to be killed for me. I don't wear leather either. Though I do use flea spray when the cats have them!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am a new Vegan. Two weeks to be exact. :smile:

Right now I am struggling. I feel hungry all the time and the scale keeps going up. :brokenheart: I am not happy about that.

I am really stressing about tomorrow. We are having dinner at my ILs. :ohwell:
  • SuziScott
    SuziScott Posts: 57
    Options
    I have been vegan for 4 years! I love eating this way and it makes me feel great. I was actually raw vegan for about a year and a half. I have added back some beans and grains, but still mostly raw vegan!
  • pepperann44
    Options
    I tried being a vegan September of last year but it only lasted about two and a half months because I was feeling extremely weak. I am also lactose intolerant and I wasn't getting enough protein in my diet even though I'd eat tons of nuts. I don't consider myself a vegetarian but I don't really eat meat because I don't like the taste of it. I also hate the idea of animals dying. Does anyone find it hard to meet their calorie goal because they don't eat meat? I find myself struggling to find things to eat that are healthy to meet my calorie goal for the day. I'm always falling short by at least 200 calories.
  • r99samigrl
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 20+ years and Morning Star Farms veggie corn dogs are my favorite snack! Even meat-eater friends love them. Other products I'd recommend are Smart Dogs, Tofu Pups, Morning Star Farms California Turkey burgers and black bean burgers, Oven Roasted Tofurky and Silk Soy chai. Just be careful with nutrition. I recently had to start eating eggs due to nutritional deficiency from illness (if you get sick a lot, consider keeping eggs in your diet for protein), but for the most part I have been healthy and active my whole life. Good luck to you! Your heart will thank you!
  • r99samigrl
    Options
    I do find that most days I have a hard time meeting my calorie goals. I am not vegan, but have been vegetarian pretty much my entire life so eating meat is out of the question. Some things that I have used to reach my goal:
    1. Avocado. It goes great sliced up on a sandwich or veggie burger and its full of healthy fats. You could also make guacamole and dip fresh veggies or whole grain crackers in that.
    2. Peanut/Almond Butter. Another healthy fat, goes great with fresh fruit or whole grain crackers.
    3. Chocolate Soymilk/Chocolate Milk. Good source of protein, especially post-workout. Also goes well w/ a snack or even as a snack itself. On a cold day, a warm cup is comforting :)
    Hope this helps!