What time do you work out?

Options
I'm curious as to what time of day everyone works out. I recently got a new job which means I can no longer workout in the morning & I have to work out at night time now, & I was rudely told that basically working out at night is pointless because you will gain weight. How do you gain weight just because you work out at a later time as opposed to before lunch?! So please tell me what time you work out. & If you are a night work-out'er' did you find yourself gaining weight?!?!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• superstarcola
    Options
    That doesn't sound right at all. Physical activity is activity regardless of the time of day.
    I prefer to work out in the morning, because I work evenings, and my gym is less busy. On the days I go to the gym twice, I do go in the evening though. I've also gone at 2am. That was fun :)
    Working out generally gives me a "buzz" though, and I find it hard to sleep after a workout.
  • Hmf414
    Hmf414 Posts: 30
    Options
    I thought what she said to me was so rude. I didn't see how it would be accurate if I'm still eating the allotted calories, AND burning calories. What should it matter what time I'm doing it it? I'll be getting out of work anywhere between 4pm & 6pm so my workouts will be done a half hour later.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Any time you can fit it in is a good time :) I teach classes in the morning and in the evening.....and I also exercise for myself anytime I can fit it
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've been working out every day after I get out of school at about 4-5PM, and I've been decreasing in weight. I can't imagine that it really matters what TIME of day it is you work out, so long as you're getting enough sleep, eating the right things, and drinking plenty of water.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    I work out in the morning 99 percent of the time, I think it does help jump start my metabolism and definately gives me energy . But there are tons of people on here that work out at all different times. I can't believe someone discouraged you from working out at night, that's just silly!!
  • want_to_be_skinny
    Options
    I go right after work about 3-330 pm. I have never heard of certain times to work out to make it better for weight loss.. but I will ask when I go for my assessment at the gym on sat... however I am losing, and when scales don't show me the weight loss and I start to get frustrated someone at work pays me a compliment.... so it's all worth it to me.. Good luck to you and don't let anyone get you down!!!

145716.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • aliciadpo
    aliciadpo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    whoever told you that was ignorant to say so. It doesn't matter, you will lose weight if you burn more calories than you eat.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    It sounds incredibly ignorant for someone to say that exercising at any time is pointless. That just doesn't make sense to me. That is like saying, drinking water at night is not good for you but if you drink it in the morning it is really beneficial. Work out when you can and when you can fit it into your schedule. Exercise is never "pointless".

And, FYI, I exercise at about 05:30 - 06:30/07:00.
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    I am a night exerciser and am losing. I get my boys in bed, clean the dishes, pick-up toys, and once my husband gets home go to the gym. That is noramlly around 9:30 (he just walked in actually). Burn the calories when you can-- any workout is better than none.
  • Hmf414
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I thought it was really rude & ignorant for her to say that to me. At least I'm making an effort to get this weight off. That's more than I can say for her. It was all because of a status message I posted on Facebook about how I was proud of myself for continuing to workout even though I had to change from my normal routine. Breaking routine is my downfall. But I stuck with it.
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've always worked out at night. From the first few minutes on the glider 3 years ago to the runs i'm doing now. For a while I wouldn't start until after both my kids were in bed at 9 o'clock at night. And i've lost..
  • mrk1day
    mrk1day Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I work out around 7-8 PM every day and have steadily been losing weight so that is not true at all.
  • mbeach1977
    mbeach1977 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I work out (almost always) after my kids go to bed at 8pm. I'm not gaining weigh AND I eat after I workout which is (gasp) right before I go to bed. Do what works for you and your schedule!!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Lol gain weight no way
    I always work out after 9pm unless I kno im gonna b bz I do it earlier but time dont matter much....
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I work out (almost always) after my kids go to bed at 8pm. I'm not gaining weigh AND I eat after I workout which is (gasp) right before I go to bed. Do what works for you and your schedule!!

Me too. My daughter has been very inconsistent with her naps and we hold odd hours, because my husband works until 1230...so we all go to bed later than normal so that we can spend time together. Some nights she goes to bed 11-12....I work out then..some days I don't start until 12:15am. I ALSO eat afterward on many nights if I have a huge calorie deficit leftover. I also did this last year and lost my baby weight plus some. Whoever told you that is definitely not the brightest crayon in the box.
  • Hmf414
    Options
    Glad to see so many other people work out at night AND lose weight.

She is NOT the brightest crayon. She said that to me trying to be supportive too ... nice try.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I also work out at night -- around 8:00 or 9:00 PM. I have started to plateau, but I don't think that it's because I exercise at night. I think my body has just decided that it's comfortable.

For me, working out at night works. First of all, I am not a morning person, so if I worked out in the morning, it wouldn't happen at all! LOL. Plus, working out at night helps relax me so that I can sleep. If I were to do this in the morning, I would fall asleep at work, which might be embarassing.

Work out whenever you can -- I don't think mornings or evenings matter. Just do it!
  • meggiemaye
    meggiemaye Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm also a night-time worker-outer. We get home around 5:30 PM but the gym is RIDICULOUS at that time, so we wait until some time between 8 and 10 PM. It hasn't been a problem for us.

Don't let anybody convince you that what works for you isn't acceptable. You're doing great.
  • andreabjarnson
    Options
    ok so i think that what that person told you is rude. but from my experiece when i work out at night i feel really really hungry afterwards. like i need more fuel for the fire so to speak. so i eat and then shortly after i go to bed. now we all know that eating and going to bed should be a few hours apart. so maybe that is what the person was trying to say idk. but when you work out in the morning you get your matabolism going and then it keeps going throughout the day. but when you work out at night your matabolism will start and then steadily decline so you burn less. i hope this makes sense:smile:
  • Walking2Lose
    Walking2Lose Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know they say that working out in the morning is better for a lot of people because more people seem to "stick with" working out in the morning if they do it everyday. I have never heard that you will gain weight working out in the evening. I used to work out in the evening all the time (when I worked) and I still do some times when I can't get a workout in in the morning or if I want to do a "last minute workout". I think it is odd for someone to say that.

In all honesty, it sounds a little crazy that you would gain weight working out period. I know that as long as your calorie intake is low then adding exercise (any time of day) would definitely help you lose.

I do know that it is harder to workout at night for me...but if you stay focused and realize that this is your time then you will do great!