Running Tips Please?

Options
I honestly don't understand how people jog for 30 minutes straight. I am happy if I can jog all the way to the gas station! I want to be one of those people who can jog straight for long distances, but I don't know how to get there! So far I am trying interval training (walk fast, jog, walk fast, jog, walk fast, jog, etc..)

I dream of being a runner! Any tips to help me make it happen?

Replies

• BroDave
    BroDave Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    C25K program has worked for many folks and will probably work for you.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Look up couch to 5k on the internet and you'll find lots of programs/schedules to get you there in 6-9 weeks. You're doing the right thing with the interval training. I started with 2 minute jog/1 minute walk back in February and I just ran a 5K this past weekend, only stopping once for about 30 seconds. It's not hard if you build up slowly - the most important thing is consistency.
  • leanne2376
    leanne2376 Posts: 217
    Options
    What's the C25K program. I am intrigued
  • thalsdarls
    Options
    Hey,
    You should try interval work first: Warm up job for 5 mins and then do 10x 1min on and 1min off (that is- run harder for 1min and then walk/jog for 1min). Eventually you can build up to funning 2min on 1min off or 3min on and 1min off etc etc. I used to run track and I hated running longer distances. This way you don't get as bored and you can control the intensity. I like this- 1min/1min/2min/3min/2min/1min/1min with 1min break between each.

Hope this helps,

Thals
  • steph813
    steph813 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Couch to 5K training program. It is a 9 week training program that gets you ready to run a 5k in 30 minutes. Check out coolrunning.com (i think that's the website). I downloaded an app on my phone (it's free) for the c25k and it tells you when to run and when to walk. it's a good program. Check it out.
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Check out the website: http://www.c25k.com/
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

Also known as Couch to 5k. It's amazing! Literally saved my life. Highly recommend it. You can google it, download podcasts, apps for your phone, spreadsheets, whatever! Basically it takes you from being a non-runner to a 5k runner in 9 weeks. Amazing!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    C25K supposedly will have you doing it in about 9 weeks. :) I'm still on week 1, but I'm working on it too.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Running is just like anything else that takes practice. Swimming for example, I cannot swim for exercise, simply because I dont have the rhythm and experience doing it. Just keep at it and in time as your muscles and lungs adjust, your distances and speed will increase.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options

Lots of sites out ther for it, just google "c25k" and find which one fits you best. It's an excellent program. I never did it, (kinda came up with my own version). I started running March 2010 and completed my first half marathon February 2011 (granted I did walk some of it due to knee injury, but i finished darn it!) Good luck to you, add me as a friend if you would like.
  • crunkpunch
    Options
    I have to second the Couch to 5K program. It is a 9 week program, that has you running intervals progressively until you are running 30 mins straight. I started the program last summer, before that I had barely worked out, and it really helped me get into running! It's gradual so it's hard to do, but easy enough that you will stick with it.

Running is addictive, once I started I kept wanting to go out more! I'm running my first 5k race in 4 weeks :)

There are several aps available for your phone that you can listen to your own music with and it tells you when to run/walk. You can also look for podcasts, but they dicatate what music you listen to.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me... I have been coaching many others on how to get started and can offer you perspective.

I have a unique perspective of having been a new runner who rose to running marathons in a very short (and painful time).

Good luck! Running can be a life changing activity that brings out the very best in people and harnesses your inner self to new heights.
  • allimac09
    allimac09 Posts: 33
    Options
    I was never a runner, and now I run half marathons. I used to be like you! Then I just decided that I was gonna do it. I looked up a novice training program, and trained for 15 weeks and I was good to go! It takes practice just like anything else, and there will be good days and bad days. In the beginning, I would frequently have to walk... but that got fewer and further between! I still have bad days, but overall, I'm kind of a runner now. I lie to myself daily and say "that wasn't that bad." and then the next day it's really hard again. It's never going to be something that is easy, but I can do it. So basically, I'm telling you to just put your mind to it, and practice, practice, practice if running is really something you want to do! You can do it!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    C25K is basically a schedule of run/walk interval sessions that will get you from the couch to running a 5k in a certain amount of time. There's one program called specifically c25k that everyone talks about, but if you just google couch to 5k or 5k training for beginners, you can find a variety of schedules and pick the one that suits you best. I take a class at a local running store that basically does the same thing in 6 weeks, because I like the interaction and motivation of running in a group.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Stick to interval running for less than 45min
    Dont wish to be a runner it comes with many problems in the long run... Take ur life slow and focus on building nice muscle, ull live longer and look better...thats my tip!
  • elyssiam
    elyssiam Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Be patient, it takes a while to get there! I remember when I couldn't run a whole mile; I ran 5.5 miles this morning on the treadmill and it felt great! I hate interval running, but everyone is right - that will get you into great shape! That's why I go to boot camp class 3 days a week: that's the only way I'll push myself!

Hang in there and stay with it! :)
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the input everyone! Interval training does seem to be the best way to go about it, but it still sucks!
  • chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So much of running is mental, and it can be so hard to get past blocks. Like others suggested I would say couch to 5k would be a good start. If your city has a running club consider joining it.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Stick to interval running for less than 45min
    Dont wish to be a runner it comes with many problems in the long run... Take ur life slow and focus on building nice muscle, ull live longer and look better...thats my tip!

I think there are a whole lot of runners, me included, who would disagree with this comment. All sports and physical activities come with problems or issues down the track, not just running.

The C25k program is excellent and I couldnt recommend it highly enough. Its easy to follow and you do get results if you follow it.
    Good luck!
  • angelaplaxton
    Options
    Be aware of the impact from the running on your bones, muscles and joints. It will make you eligable for fractures. And it stresses your bones and joints! I speed Walk for 45 minutes everynight, and i boogie man. Feels great! the cardio is like a buz, and i keep my speed like i want. Its so much better, i hope you consider! Before this site, i wanted to run so bad, after trying it and feeling the impact, i understood the dangers to being a runner. Try talking to people who have been running for a long time :) Best of luck to your Progress, and congrats on the progress you've made!! :flowerforyou: