Strength Training Calories

Options
When I have an entry for cardio exercises, it shows how many calories I've burned, or I can input the amount of calories the machine I was on shows.
Is there a good way to do this for weight lifting exercises? I do my weight lifting with little (about 45 seconds to a minute) of rest between sets so as to keep my heart rate up, and I know this burns some calories. I'd like to have something to show in my calorie counter for it, if possible. If not, I'll just keep putting it as high-impact aerobics haha.

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Yes, counterintuitively, if you log the strength training under cardio, you can log the calories there.
  • ericcalaniz
    ericcalaniz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That's kind of what I've been doing (logging it as time spent weight training x.75 minutes of high impact aerobics) but I'm not sure realistically how many calories I'm burning. Advice on that?
  • 0racle76
    0racle76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I add my strength training in as a circuit training when I am doing free weights or on a machine.
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering that tonight. I don't think my heart rate monitor takes into consideration that I am strength training, and working muscle, so since my heart rate doesn't get over 120ish, put me down as only burning like 85 calories in the half hour that I did core exercises and free weights.... I really think I must have done better than that!! :)
  • h2onut
    h2onut Posts: 164
    Options
    Pretty sure the only way to know what your burning for sure is to wear a HRM:)
  • BeeHummingbird
    Options
    I asked this question myself to the contact us emails address and this is the response I got on the weight lifting side of it.........

Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.

We wish you all the success in reaching and maintaining all of your diet and fitness goals.
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    ...only burning like 85 calories in the half hour that I did core exercises and free weights....
    That sounds about right, actually. It varies widely, depending on what you're doing. Weightlifting doesn't burn as many calories because you're generally focusing on few muscles at a time, as opposed to cardio, where you're generally working large muscle groups nonstop, and moving the weight of the whole body.
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    ...only burning like 85 calories in the half hour that I did core exercises and free weights....
    That sounds about right, actually. It varies widely, depending on what you're doing. Weightlifting doesn't burn as many calories because you're generally focusing on few muscles at a time, as opposed to cardio, where you're generally working large muscle groups nonstop, and moving the weight of the whole body.

I'm going with it, and I'm not going to worry about it because I know that even if I'm not burning off so many calories, I'm making my body and muscles stronger, so it's worth it. I bicycle a lot, it's my main form of exercise, but I like to try and do something different at least once a week, and need to go to the gym to work my upper body...
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I use this site often to estimate or get second opinions on estimates: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • Aps123
    Aps123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i asked this same question. now i log it under cardio but select "strength training". depressingly low calorie burn for the time put in but well worth the outcome.
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Strength training right before cardio is supposed to give the fat-burning a big boost. I find it does help me row a lot harder...seems to be working.