Hello...tips for fighting cravings and staying on track

Options
hey everyone! I've been using my fitness pal for a little bit now but recently fell off track with it and as a result gained back a few pounds. I just got to that point where I was doing good and then forgot I have to keep working hard to stay on top of my diet. Does anyone have pointers for how they stay on track or resist cravings? That's he onl thing that gets me sometimes... Otherwise I am a very healthy eater but occassionly my portion size is a little on the bigger side. So yes you can still gain weight for eatin too much of a good thing. But any pointers would be awesome! Thanks and keep workin hard!
Danielle

Replies

• diggsgrl
    diggsgrl Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello :) I've just gotten back on track myself and the way I try to fight cravings is by replacing them with something low cal and healthy. Carrots are my big "go to" snack that I constantly munch on throughout the day. The other half is mental, I try to look ahead at the positive results that will come if I just resist temptation. :) Stay strong!
  • lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Eat fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of water!
  • Dani14elle
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks so much!
  • melodyor2
    melodyor2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a carrotts/celery kinda girl.

But it can get a lil boring so I started dipping it in hummus-was weird at first-but i Have found flavors that I like. Roasted Garlic is my fav.
  • Dani14elle
    Options
    Eat fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of water!
    Thanks! I really like the quote you posted!!
  • anina28
    anina28 Posts: 3
    Options
    Drink pently of water that helps you not to be hungry so even if you want the food your too full to eat it and I also found those 100 cal snacks help with the sweet tooth if ya have one I know I do and they are a big help, good luck
  • julia_baines
    julia_baines Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I find that having healthy food available to eat helps keep me on the wagon. If I dont its way to easy to get hungry and pop down to the shop for some delicious badness.
    I also try to keep the mentality that each peice of food that I eat is its own choice, that way i dont eat one bad thing and then go mad and write off the whole day (which is very tempting).
    Other than that I find it easier to go cold turkey otherwise my unhealthy treats tend to sneak up and up and get out of control.

Hope this helps!
  • Dani14elle
    Options
    I will definitely have to try some hummus! Thanks!
  • Dani14elle
    Options
    Yes definetly helps... Sometimes it is easier to just go cold turkey!
  • Dani14elle
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips! Don't really have friends on here...if anyone wants to add it would be great to keep each other motivated!
  • mrgawhitehead
    Options
    I have lost 43 punds. what works for me is eat a very small portion of what you want so bad, just make sure you eat many of things with it that are a more healthy choice. The minute you tell your self you cant have something you will want it. so get it. but just a small bit of it a few bites. The best thing is always now how many calories it is that also helps you decide how much you want to eat it. just looking at the number sometimes help change your mind. lots of water too makes you feels full and helps the grumble in your tummie.
  • ladyeyessogreen
    ladyeyessogreen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I recently got back on track as well. I've been doing alot more veggies all around with some fruits and lots of water. I do find I still crave sweets, bad. I found that if I drank a sweet flavored (not sugar added) tea, that is helpful. I started with a raspberry singer, but then found a cute little tea shop in town. All herbal and all organic, so I am experimenting with different flavors of sweeter flavored herbal teas. Usually 1 cup a day does the trick for me.
    :smile:
  • wgrape
    wgrape Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    As I was reading your question, I was munching on some almonds and thinking "She should try eating nuts!". I love filling the munchy issue with my almonds. I have heard that there are other goods ones out there...so barring a nut allergy, nuts are great! I have also learned that they contain good fat and protein AND it will stick with you longer. They are also crunchy, and if you need a little salt, lightly salted is a great option too!

Good luck :D
  • Dani14elle
    Options
    I have lost 43 punds. what works for me is eat a very small portion of what you want so bad, just make sure you eat many of things with it that are a more healthy choice. The minute you tell your self you cant have something you will want it. so get it. but just a small bit of it a few bites. The best thing is always now how many calories it is that also helps you decide how much you want to eat it. just looking at the number sometimes help change your mind. lots of water too makes you feels full and helps the grumble in your tummie.
    Awesome thanks! Great job on the weight loss!!
  • LezliYoung
    LezliYoung Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to chew gum. Esp. at night when a craving strikes and I know I just want to be eating for no reason. The Mint Chocolate Chip dessert gum is really yummy, but any kind of gum keeps my jaw busy and that seems to help me a lot.
  • ladyeyessogreen
    ladyeyessogreen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    yes the nuts and gum help me as well like wgrape & lezliyoung suggested
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I fill out my food diary, from dinner time to bed time, early every day. Then I know what I can eat. BUT, if you absolutely CRAVE something, you need to work it in somehow. Never deprive yourself of anything. But rather plan around your craving.
  • maryjbinz
    Options
    Just started using this site very helpful I have lost 5 1/4 pounds
    Coconut water and honey in coffee helping to curve food cravings
  • faerybun
    faerybun Posts: 65
    Options
    Treat yourself sometimes! If you're working hard and staying on track other than a cookie and a glass of milk every few weeks it isn't going to set you back that much and you'll be less likely to binge. [:

Usually if I want something sweet (My big cravings are warm cinnamon rolls in the morning when my mom bakes them) I'll take a small portion (Usually like a third of the actual serving size) and EAT!

Also, make sure you eat healthy snacks frequently enough so that you're not hungry! It's tough to turn down the treats people bring in to work when you're honestly hungry!
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    are the cravings invaders from the north like the scandinavians or are they more like the barbarians from the east of Greece. you have to fight them differently depending on their country of origin. like, you could probably get away with fighting the northern invaders with nothing but battle axes and swords, but the eastern barbarians are a little more tricky. try to use oil with flaming arrows and burn them as they move over the landscape. remember, you pick where the fight takes place. don't let them force you into a narrow pass where hand to hand combat is required.

just playing. if you are craving something try eating an apple or some food that is high in fiber and water but will raise your blood sugar level. your cravings are most likely caused by low blood sugar. fruit juice could help. just don't start gobbling down bags of hershey kisses.