Did I really burn that many calories???

Options
tssa
tssa Posts: 93 Member
Today, was my at home workout. I ended up doing about 25 minutes of the Cardio Excercise on the Liverexercise.com website. I admit I was doing it at a slow pace, since it my first cardio workout in a while. I usually do the treadmill at the gym. Most of my reps was between 5 to 10 and I was sweating quite a bit (my clothes were damp afterwards) AND I'm sore right now. When I logged in my Exercise Diary, it showed 441 calories burned for Aerobics, low impact @ 25 mintues. Really?!?!? I burned that much?!?!?

Ok, I'm a big girl, considered obese. I know MFP figures in my weight when calculating calories burned, so should I just accept that I really burned 441 cals? Do I assume that I'm burning more because I weigh more than the average weight person and I have more to burn. Don't get me wrong. I'm super psyched if I did burn that many, I guess it's hard to believe it.

FYI: I don't own a HRM yet, but I plan to do so within the next 1 month or so. I know that will help alot.

Does anybody feel the same way about some of the calories burned numbers or is it just me?

Replies

• Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    You only know if that is what you burned if you have a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. Other wise it's only a close guess.
    I would only eat half the calories, until you have a hrm to know for sure : )

2639362.png
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    i totally feel the same way... but who knows, i don't have a HRM yet either so I'm never sure! :(
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY get a HRM because I find MFP overestimates my calorie burn compared to my HRM but a significant amount of calories. If you want to play on the safe side, you can always knock 50 or so off of your burn. I figure it's better to OVER estimate the calories you consume and UNDER estimate the calories you burn... that way you're going to come out on top!
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Today, was my at home workout. I ended up doing about 25 minutes of the Cardio Excercise on the Liverexercise.com website. I admit I was doing it at a slow pace, since it my first cardio workout in a while. I usually do the treadmill at the gym. Most of my reps was between 5 to 10 and I was sweating quite a bit (my clothes were damp afterwards) AND I'm sore right now. When I logged in my Exercise Diary, it showed 441 calories burned for Aerobics, low impact @ 25 mintues. Really?!?!? I burned that much?!?!?

Ok, I'm a big girl, considered obese. I know MFP figures in my weight when calculating calories burned, so should I just accept that I really burned 441 cals? Do I assume that I'm burning more because I weigh more than the average weight person and I have more to burn. Don't get me wrong. I'm super psyched if I did burn that many, I guess it's hard to believe it.

FYI: I don't own a HRM yet, but I plan to do so within the next 1 month or so. I know that will help alot.

Does anybody feel the same way about some of the calories burned numbers or is it just me?

Hey,
    I would recommend you this site :) I am following this instead and when entering what exercise I did during the day I just adjust the calories accordingly.
    Hope it helps.
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't ALWAYS _WAY_ off... It really depends on the person and activity. There are plenty of people on this site who it is spot on for. I agree with the only eating half back until you're sure though. Just make sure you're netting 1200 and you should be fine.
  • 145Karen
    145Karen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think the estimates are on the high side also I use the body bug and its pretty accurate so I try to go by the numbers from it.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options

Hahhaha....from this website,

Sex: moderate effort

Oddly, no light or vigorous.
  • tssa
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your feedback. :happy:
  • Jayni40
    Jayni40 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I did a side by side comparison with MFP and my HR monitor and for me MFP is way off. I am too a big chick. For instance 45 minutes on the elliptical my HR monitor says I burn 548 cal and MFP says 1004 or walking 50 minutes at 3.0 pace HR monitor says 266 cals and MFP says 409 cals. So I think MFP overestimates calories. I always go by my HR monitor. It is a good investment.
  • jen2bhottie
    jen2bhottie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM yet either, so I'm kinda in the same boat with you on not knowing how much I burn exercising. I think the more you weigh, the more 'off' MFP's calculator is. I personally weigh 257... I use the elliptical machines at the gym which have HRM...yesterday I did 35 min, maintaining 4.8-6.2 mph (best for me yet) and the machine said I burned 451 calories. I entered my info on MFP's calculator and it said 610 calories.
    So I agree that until you get a HRM, it's better to underestimate your calories burned than to overestimate.
    Keep up the great work!
  • julia_baines
    julia_baines Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So if the treadmill at the gym calculates calories burned based on weight entered and heart rate then I should believe it and not the MFP calculation?
  • Jayni40
    Options
    So if the treadmill at the gym calculates calories burned based on weight entered and heart rate then I should believe it and not the MFP calculation?
  • Jayni40
    Options
    I would definitely go by the gym machine calculations than MFP thats just my opinion
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    I just don't know about this burning calorie business - everybody says MFP overestimates calories but my chest strap HRM ALWAYS gives me more! It depends on how your heart works - if it stays high you will burn more than low. Good workout regardless - well done!
  • tssa
    Options
    I just don't know about this burning calorie business - everybody says MFP overestimates calories but my chest strap HRM ALWAYS gives me more! It depends on how your heart works - if it stays high you will burn more than low. Good workout regardless - well done!

Thanks!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    MFP is an estimate.
    HRM's are estimates.
    Bodybuggs are estimates.

For simplicity sake, take whatever the lower number is.

If you don't have a HRM or bodybugg then I would do as suggested and don't eat back all of your calories just to be conservative.
  • julia_baines
    julia_baines Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    100 burpies in 7 mins 49!!!! very impressive!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    100 burpies in 7 mins 49!!!! very impressive!

I felt like I was about to cough up a lung afterwards though :P
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Why why why does everybody on here think that heart rate monitors are calorie counters???

All a HRM is designed to do is monitor your heart rate.

The only real way to judge how many calories you burn doing something is via expelled gas analysis.

If you want an estimate, use the numbers here or on another similar website, they'll be just as accurate as any HRM.
  • SGartz
    SGartz Posts: 57
    Options
    Why why why does everybody on here think that heart rate monitors are calorie counters???

All a HRM is designed to do is monitor your heart rate.

The only real way to judge how many calories you burn doing something is via expelled gas analysis.

If you want an estimate, use the numbers here or on another similar website, they'll be just as accurate as any HRM.

ditto this.

I don't get the HRM thing for calories. Just make sure any calorie counting devise takes into consideration your BMR (The amount of calories your body burns during rest).