Which App do you use for Couch to 5k?

Options
Hi

Now that I'm getting fitter, I would like to try couch25k, but there are a number of different Apps (iPhone) for it and I'm not sure which one to get.

Which one would you recommend?

I would prefer one where the music is already on it, don't want to be fiddling with adding my own playlist really.

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I didn't even use an app, I downloaded the Podrunner Intervals podcasts each week. They have music and clues already in them. Not my style of music, but it did keep me moving and energized!

Good luck! It's a great program!!!!
  • Bluesman77
    Options
    I use " Get Running". I like it a lot. It may not solve your music issue though. You play whatever music you want in the background and then start the app. I have found it to be very motivational in helping get through the tougher runs. Good luck with the program!
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I tried most of them, but I much prefer the Bluefin Software one. Good luck, I finished C25k a few months ago and its awesome.
  • kym38
    kym38 Posts: 48
    Options
    I prefer the Bluefin! Hope you become addicted to running!
  • CarolMorris66
    Options
    I use 'Get Running' on the iphone also... I liked her voice :-( but doesn't play music, you have to do that yourself... (I don't mean sing, especially if you are as tone deaf as me!) You are also told how long you have done, how long left and bits... just seems a bit like running with a friend!!!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I used the one called "couch to 5k". It has a brown background with a big "5k" in the middle. I like it a lot, but it has a couple of downsides
    1) you have to play music in the background or it pauses itself (as I noticed 5 minutes into my first 1minute jog!) - but you can download a silent piece of music, or just keep tapping the screen every 30 seconds!
    2) you can only fast forward by a whole minute (or I can't work out how to do anything else), meaning it's hard to skip the warm up bit easily, if you didn't have the app running while you were warming up
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm not one definite winner so!
    Reckon I'll go for the cheapest, Get Running. Thanks for your input. Will finish the "30 day shred" first and then, if I'm brave enough, I'll start with this!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I used the one called "couch to 5k". It has a brown background with a big "5k" in the middle.

Me too - I started with this and then bought the c210k app. On c210k - the runs are shorter, walking/recovery is longer but the workout is twice as long. So, it's an easier workout - but harder at the same time (but harder only in that you're working out twice as long).

Here's a comparison:

Week5/Day1 (c25k) - Alternate 5 minute jogs and 3 minute walks for 20 minutes.
    Week5/Day1 (c210K) - Run 2:30; Walk 2:30 12 times (58 minutes)

C25k is a 9 week program
    c210k is a 13 week program
  • Mairgheal
    Options
    Are you not meant to do couch25k first and then couch210k (or is that what you mean?)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Are you not meant to do couch25k first and then couch210k (or is that what you mean?)

No it's 2 different programs. c210k is exactly like c25k only it's shooting for a 10k in 13 weeks (as opposed to a 5k in 9 weeks)One shoots for 5k, one shoots for 10k - both start at zero.

There are programs AFTER c25k (bridge 210k, OHR, etc.), but that's not what I'm referring to.
  • Mairgheal
    Options
    Okay, thanks!