Portable Breakfast ideas

annabell136
annabell136 Posts: 9
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
I am looking for good portable breakfast ideas. I need some variety otherwise I fall back into the old habits.

Replies

• lrns88
    lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
    This may be a silly qu, but how portable are we talking? xxx
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    I toast an english muffin and spread it with peanut butter then stick it in a ziplock baggie. (100 calorie high fiber muffin, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter) Grab a banana or apple on the way out the door and you're pretty much covered!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    greek yogurt single servings
    hard boiled eggs
    turkey bacon (if you make it the night before)
    bananas
    toast w/ peanut butter
    lara bars
    Shakelolgy
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Toasted bagels or muffins...add some turkey bacon and Egg Beaters.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    this is kinda strange but i've been doing this for a while and i love it:

saute zucchini slices in a non-stick frying pan. add salt, pepper and garlic power to taste.
    once zucchini is mostly cooked, add a beaten egg white. cook through. stuff into a half a whole-wheat pita, add about 1/6 cup of grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese and wrap the whole thing in foil. by the time i get around to eating it 20 minutes later, the cheese is mostly melted.

i'm a creature of habit, so i do this about every morning. it might be a good change-up every now and then, though.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    special k bar.... I know that sounds bad, but it works if you are short on time and it keeps me full for a good bit of time

I also cut up fruit and put it is baggies, makes it grab and go :-)
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Ditto to all of the above! There are lots of great ideas floating around the recipes board too.

--Whole grain waffles with 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
    --egg white, sliced avocado, salsa in a tortilla wrap
    --peanut butter and banana on whole wheat toast (sandwich)
    -- laughing cow cheese on a wasa cracker, piece of fruit
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    The zucchini and egg white idea sounds fabulous! Thanks!
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    this is kinda strange but i've been doing this for a while and i love it:

saute zucchini slices in a non-stick frying pan. add salt, pepper and garlic power to taste.
    once zucchini is mostly cooked, add a beaten egg white. cook through. stuff into a half a whole-wheat pita, add about 1/6 cup of grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese and wrap the whole thing in foil. by the time i get around to eating it 20 minutes later, the cheese is mostly melted.

i'm a creature of habit, so i do this about every morning. it might be a good change-up every now and then, though.

sounds delicious. I used to do that with jalepenos and mushrooms (my two fav ingredients).
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    1/2 cup of all bran in a mug everyday in the car (I’m the passenger), yum especially when it gets mushy ;)

I was enjoying protein shakes daily for a few months but it wasn’t putting off the mid-morning hunger anymore than 150 cals worth of healthy cereal & milk + b/c I like the protein shakes so much I am now using them in the evening after a workout to best utilize the protein. If I don't work out, I cut it out and just have yogurt and fruit to get to 1200 and stick to about 70g of protein rather than 100.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    - Whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter
    - Egg burrito (Whole wheat tortilla, egg beaters, sauteed veggies, black beans, low fat cheese)
    - Oatmeal bowl (quick oats, sliced almonds, cottage cheese or egg whites, fresh fruit, panut butter, honey, jam)
    - Egg sandwich
    - Fruit smoothie with protein powder
    - Homemade egg muffins
    - Homemade trail mix (high fiber cereal, nuts, dried fruit)
    - Yogurt parfait (Greek yogurt or yogurt mixed with protein powder, high fiber cereal, fresh fruit, sliced almonds or nuts)
    - Packet of 100 calorie almonds and an apple
    - Apple and peanut butter
    - Egg beaters mug (Combine 1/2 cup egg beaters or egg product, cook for 1 to 1/2 minutes. Mix in ham, cheese, veggies and enjoy)

I hope I helped!

Let us know what other ideas you find :smile:
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    My new things is savory oatmeal. I'm not a fan of sweet breakfast items, so lately, I've been preparing a small container the night before, adding 1/2 cup dry oatmeal with some seasonings like peppers, onion powder, garlic, salt, adding mushrooms and spinach. In the morning, when I'm getting ready, I add 1 cup of water, and pop it into the microwave. I sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top. By the time I get to work its the perfect temp.
  • asheia
    asheia Posts: 7
    Overnight oats!

They are so yummy and you can make so many varieties you can never get sick of it!

http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/overnightoats

Also try a green monster! Can't get more portable than food you can drink. :)

http://greenmonstermovement.com/
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    My to-go breakfast is the Special K protein shakes.... but I work out in the morning so I don't like anything that makes me feel too full. The shakes keep me in good shape until after my workout, then I eat a larger breakfast.
  • Thanks for all the great ideas. I hate to eat when I first get up and have been that way since I was a kid. I pack breakfast and lunch to take to work but get bored and then end up grabbing something out which hurts not only my wallet but my waistline.
This discussion has been closed.