Ezekiel bread

Options
Have you tried this? My personal trainer suggests eating this instead of typical grocery store bread - whole wheat or otherwise. I understand why it's so good for you. What I am concerned with is ...does it taste good? ...what's the texture like?

http://benefitof.net/benefits-of-ezekiel-bread/

Replies

• gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    OMG Ezekiel Bread is sooooo amazingly tasty! Especially the raisin english muffins. You'll love it and you'll be ruined for any other type of English muffin. Enjoy!
  • lbtewksbury
    lbtewksbury Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you have been off of bread for a while it is awesome, since it is frozen I would always toast it, that made it crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle, the cinnamon bread is my favorite, but I ate the regular as a grilled cheese with vegi cheese
    yum
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ezekiel english muffins, they are sooo good
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I really like it. Though the first time you try it (the sprouted whole wheat one), it might be a funny texture / tastes grainy. Now I am thoroughly enjoying it. The cinnamon raisin bread is great for breakfast sometimes for flavor, and then I just use the original one (sprouted whole grain bread) for sandwiches. The rest of my body seems to like it too. :tongue:
  • kitchenfairy
    Options
    I just started eating it about 2 weeks ago when I switched to sprouted grains in my diet. I get the low sodium and it's actually really good. It's a much coarser texture than regular white or whole wheat bread. 1 slice is a serving which seems like such a little bit until you actually eat it and realize 1 slice is perfect! I also have the cinnamon raisin which is good for those moments when I'm craving it but I don't eat it on a daily basis like I do the regular.
  • kmiller74
    Options
    I just bought some for the same reasons, so I will let you know. I have to fast for a dr appt but will eat it for bfast and let you know :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find it inedible. I'd rather eat no bread than substitute with Ezekiel Bread. I think the texture is really weird, and I didn't care for it cold or toasted. Of course, we all have our personal preferences. Lots of people love the stuff!
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I just started eating it about 2 weeks ago when I switched to sprouted grains in my diet. I get the low sodium and it's actually really good. It's a much coarser texture than regular white or whole wheat bread. 1 slice is a serving which seems like such a little bit until you actually eat it and realize 1 slice is perfect! I also have the cinnamon raisin which is good for those moments when I'm craving it but I don't eat it on a daily basis like I do the regular.

Where did you find the low sodium one? We were at Trader Joes on Sunday and they didn't have it...
  • emily859
    emily859 Posts: 38
    Options
    Love it. Eat it almost every morning with peanut butter and either sliced strawberries or sliced bananas. I ditto all the comments about the raisin- it is delicious and yes, the first time you try it you might not love it. Stick with it. Have it a few more times after that and you won't want to eat any other type of bread! :)
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i like it, but for taste, i prefer the Genesis one actually. it has nuts as well as the grains, and i find the nuts add great......nutty flavour. i know, go figure eh? lol
  • summer_anne
    Options
    my favorite is the nut/seed one OMG amazing
  • llovegrove
    llovegrove Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have also been wanting to try this and was curious why this bread is such a hit....nutritional wise. Thanks bunches everyone! : )
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Love it!! And it lasts a long time, since it's stored in the freezer.

About sprouted breads:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/154400-benefits-of-sprouted-wheat-bread/
    http://www.naturaltherapypages.com.au/article/Benefits_Sprouted_Grains
    When grains, seeds and nuts are germinated, their nutritional content changes and, as they are generally not cooked, they retain their natural plant enzymes. These enzymes are beneficial for helping the digestion of the seeds and nuts in the digestive tract. As well as retaining the enzymes, they also retain the nutrients that would otherwise be destroyed by cooking. Sprouted grains, seeds and nuts also encourage the growth of good bacteria, help to keep the colon clean, and are high in protective antioxidants.

Sprouts, as well as being very digestible, are a good source of fibre and protein, and are high in vitamins and minerals. As an example, sunflower sprouts are high in vitamins A and C, while mung sprouts are high in vitamin C, iron, and potassium. Most seeds are high in phosphorus, which is important for alertness, increased mental abilities, and healthy bones and teeth. In its cooked form, wheat can cause mucus congestion, allergic reactions and constipation. In is sprouted form, the starch is converted to simple sugars, meaning that many wheat intolerant people are able to eat sprouted wheat bread without any problems.

Sprouted grain breads are significantly higher in protein, vitamins and enzymes, and the complex starches are converted into natural sugars. They are also low GI, so they are digested more slowly by the body, keeping the blood sugar levels stable for longer, making people feel more satisfied. This leads to snacking less. It is interesting to note that the more highly processed a food is, the higher GI it is. A loaf of white bread is significantly higher GI than a loaf of sprouted grain bread.
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You have convinced me. I will be on the hunt for Ezekiel bread today!
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love it, but can't eat it unless it is toasted! It is really best with peanut butter. I slice with a T of PB and some banana and drizzled with A LITTLE honey makes a good breakfast that will stick to your ribs! I used to keep some in the fridge at work and toast it in the break room. Every time I did, people would be saying: "Oh, it smells sooooo good in here! What are you cooking?!" Buy it and enjoy!
  • rosalieharris
    rosalieharris Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow...I just came upon this subject. I am very interested! This sounds like a great bread that is very good for you. I am definitely going to try this! I am a bread lover and have been missing it...this is something I could do, I really do not care about the texture..it's bread:) Where can I get it?
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Where can I get it?

I've only ever seen it in the freezer section. I used to buy it, now I'm thinking of doing it again and keeping it in the freezer (since I don't eat bread quickly enough for it not to go bad).
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Wow...I just came upon this subject. I am very interested! This sounds like a great bread that is very good for you. I am definitely going to try this! I am a bread lover and have been missing it...this is something I could do, I really do not care about the texture..it's bread:) Where can I get it?

I got mine at trader joes in the regular bread aisle. I would like the low sodium one though..
  • rusnowing
    Options
    We dont have a trader joes in Michigan, does anyone else know where to find it here. Either Walmart or Meijer?
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options
    I had never seen it at my grocery store, so I looked on the Ezekiel bread website for a store location. It only gave me the names of a few health food stores. After reading these comments I wondered if I was looking in the wrong place at my grocery store,so I called and asked. Lo and behold they do have it - in the freezer section as someone else had mentioned. They must get a lot of calls because the operator said - without hesitation - that yes, they do have it, and it is in aisle 18 of the freezer section. Woo hoo! I am on my way!

BTW - This is not a Trader Joe's or other big chain store.