Core Strengthening workouts daily?

Options
Hello all! I have started concentrating on my core more during my strength training sessions. My core is much stronger now than when I first started but it is still pretty weak. I wanted to know if I could do core exercises daily to help strengthen that area or should I continue to do it every other day?

I wanted to do some planks in the am when I wake up and then again before I sleep but only if this was ok to do every day. Don't want to do more harm than good, ya know!

I do cardio 6 days a week and strength training 3 days a week.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• james3302
    james3302 Posts: 119
    Options
    If your stomach is not sore from the previous days workout then I don't see anything wrong with working out your stomach muscles again.
  • tjf1215
    tjf1215 Posts: 6
    Options
    I use to do just that, work out twice a day and I realized I was getting weaker. I would definitely stick to every other day, or do just cardio on your off day. That is what I do. I made alot of mistakes early on, but when I finally spaced out my workouts I noticed HUGE gains (I went from 175 max bench to 215 in about a month). This relates to core exercises as well. That is just my opinion though.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It's pretty difficult to overwork your abs, although you can overwork your back. If you're doing body weight resistance core exercises (and it sounds like you are) then I don't see a problem with doing them daily. Just be sure to watch your form and stop if it's getting sloppy so that you don't accidentally strain your back.
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    Options
    Its not the workout per say that makes you stronger its actually the recovery.
    That being said, you should space out your workouts.
    I know a lot of people who work abs all the time but in essence they are target training.
    There is know such thing in target training as related to fat reduction.
    I usually workout a different part of my body each workout with no more than two workouts a week on a specific body part.
  • vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I do some core strengthening daily.... like crunches, abdominal leg lifts etc. Sometimes twice a day... morning and night time. I do Cardio at least 5-6 times each week. I do 4-6 miles daily and trying to incorporate more interval training. I have not done the gym or weight training because I use hand weights and my own body weight to do most. Yoga/Pilates Stretching is key for morning and evenings as well. I have seem my body changing right before my eyes in the 3 weeks that i have been doing this.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion (no expert here), but your core muscles are like any other muscle in your body. If you work them hard (break them down), you must let them rest so it can repair and get stronger.