Panic attacks and anxiety

Options
2»

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I used to have panic attacks pretty often.

Working out and running has really helped me get control over them.
    My body is healthier and happier because of it.

Just make sure you eat before working out like people above said. My anxiety is worst when my blood sugar is low.

Lifting weights has changed my outlook on a lot of things. I've gotten used to not always feeling great, I'm accustomed to being dizzy in a crowded area. Theres still times when my heart gets pounding and I have to get a drink of water and sit down in the locker room for a minute, but no one notices. It's really been a life changing thing.
  • Kjohnson2387
    Kjohnson2387 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem earlier this month in fact, except I had the nervous feeling and shortness of breath associated with anxiety. They put me on Fluoxetine (prozac) and my problems had since diminished.... Working out DOES help alleviate the symptoms of anxiety... so don't be afraid to work right through them. If you focus on what you're doing, your anxiety will take a back seat during your workouts.. .and who knows, hopefully it would actually diminish all together. :)

I know its a pain, and scary to go through anxiety issues.. it runs in my family unfortunately so I think I'm doomed, but its something you have to learn to work through, and don't let it stop you from living your daily life.

best of luck to you. :)
  • fitnoflab
    Options
    have to read
  • Gabbahh
    Options
    Another thing nutrition wise that can make quite a difference is magnesium. Do you know how much magnesium you get? Magnesium is very important for being able to relax and calm down, etc.
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with GAD 14 years ago but only found out 2 years ago....I presume the doctor didn't tell me as she didn't want to worry me. :wink: I have been on meds in the past but only for a few months. I used them to get over that panicky, palapitation stage and now have somehow managed to retrain myself not to be anxious. The only sign I see now is when I am confronted with public speaking (which happens sometimes with my job). I feel faint, my heart beats so hard and my vision goes blurry. Once I start though I am ok and it's gone in seconds. It's just the anticipation that sends me into an attack. Apparently I don't even blush when speaking so I'm doing ok.

I used to be terrified of exercising as the feeling of a strongly, rapid beating heart has only ever meant negative things to me. I started off by exercising slowly so I just broke out into a sweat and had a mildly raised heartbeat. Then gradually increased it so I can exercise properly. I'll never please Jillian as I won't let myself get to a stage where i am exercising so hard I throw up or feel my heart is racing, but it does ok for me!

As far as diet goes, less alcohol and caffeine had a postive affect. Since I have been eating really well (loads of veg and fruit, reduced amount of processed food, complex carbs etc) i haven't even had any palpatations and I used to get some out of nowhere at least once a fortnight for a few seconds. Of course that could be that my diet is lowering my blood pressure too, but whatever it is, it's good :smile:
  • frmeital
    Options
    It's good to see that you found some things that relieve your GAD, but in my experience the best treatment for it is cognitive behavioral therapy. The next time you have a panic attack (though I hope there isn't a next time...) try a CBT technique called "The 20 second countdown". It was very helpful to me when I needed it. You can find it here:

http://www.natural-alternative-therapies.com/how-to-stop-a-panic-attack/
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I suffer from anxiety & panic attacks. My heart feels like it's racing a mile a minute so the thought of working out freaks me out even more. Anyone else have this issue? If so, how do you overcome the fear?

I've been on medication (lexapro) in the past but I don't want to go back down that road.

Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

First thing is having a work up done. I had to wear a heart rate box for 24 hours and do things normally (even working out) Secondly avoid caffeine and any stimulants, they will greatly greatly aggravate the anxiety. I take prework out stims, even though I shouldn't if I over dose even slightly I will have anxiety for 3-4 days. I should just quit them, but I can't. Biggest thing is get a work up checked and make sure you are healthy enough to do what you'd like.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps with my anxiety and depression a lot. Personally, I've never had issues with freaking out during exercising because of increased heart rate, I have freaked out a few times during a workout, but that wasn't because of the workout itself, just other stuff I had going on. My thinking would be to try working out either alone at home if you can, or at the gym during a quiet time of day, that way if something does go wrong, at least there aren't people around to make it worse. Good luck to you!
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    Well first of all while I feel for anyone who has anxiety it is nice to know your not alone.

My Dr diagnosed me with panic disorder 6 years ago. He tried to put me on xanax but I refused. Instead I took more natural routes. (Disclaimer: don't misunderstand me, I'm not judging anyone who takes medicine, but, for me I choose not to). So I took kava kava, which is an herb that helps alleviate anxiety, I took valarian root & drank chammomile tea to help me sleep, & of course I exercised. Exercise has been a huge key in helping me control my anxiety. Sometimes I get anxious about working out but I just make myself do it & I start feeling better. Try taking calming walks.

Always talk to your Dr before starting any exercise routine.

Oh yes, I also eliminated caffeine from my diet. Although now, 6 years later, I am able to drink green tea :)