Greek Vs. Regular Yogurt

Options
I have the joy of meeting new, interesting, and fun people every day. I have also been blessed with the ability to build relationships based on my articles in this paper. Recently, I had a woman, who reads this article weekly, ask me the other day if I had tried Greek yogurt. I had not tried it, but she began to tell me about the benefits it has, how much she enjoyed eating it, and all the different ways to change the flavor. Well, she got me interested, not only in Greek yogurt, but in the comparison of Greek yogurt vs. regular yogurt.
Yogurt has numerous health benefits and is a good source of calcium. There are many varieties of yogurt available in the market from full fat, low fat, to probiotic ones. There are the commercials on TV that talk about being lucky enough to have Boston Cream Pie guilt free, and even Heidi Klum is in a commercial sucking what’s left of her yogurt out of the bottom of the container. Having all the sinful flavors of yogurt helps people feel like they are getting the treats they want while still watching their waste line. Not only is yogurt a great treat to have with many flavors available, it can also be used for making other dishes and condiments like sauces, desserts, smoothies and salad dressings. Yogurt is not just healthy, but is very versatile in helping you to achieve healthy eating behaviors.
Greek yogurt is becoming very popular these days. It is a yogurt that is creamier and a lot thicker than regular yogurt. So, before I get into the debate of whether you should have Greek vs. regular yogurt, I’d like to shed some light on how yogurt is made. All yogurt is made from milk; It can be cow’s milk, goat’s milk or sheep’s milk. The difference in the making of Greek yogurt is that when the bacteria strain has been added to the milk, the mixture is allowed to rest in cheesecloth that drains away the liquid whey. This results in making the yogurt very rich, creamy and thick, and makes it an excellent topping for desserts.
The main difference between Greek yogurt and regular yogurt is that Greek yogurt has a higher nutritional value. Because of the way that Greek yogurt is strained, so much liquid whey is removed causing the yogurt to be very rich in protein. Greek yogurt has twice the protein content of regular yogurt, which is good news for people who don’t get enough protein in their diets. It also has a lower amount of carbohydrates than regular yogurt. The most important advantage of Greek is that it contains fifty percent less in sodium than regular yogurt. Having high sodium foods increases your risk for developing high blood pressure, heart disease, fluid retention or edema and kidney stones. So ingesting lower sodium foods is very beneficial.
Greek yogurt has many benefits, however one thing it lacks in compared to regular is the calcium content. Regular yogurt has three times the amount of calcium due to the draining process. After reading this article about Greek vs. regular yogurt, you can choose the yogurt that is the best for you. If you can’t decide, why not keep both in your refrigerator. Either way, both yogurts are way better than indulging in ice creams and other high calorie snacks.

Replies

• shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this it was very informative, I eat greek yogurt because I like the thicker texture, but I didn't know all of that detailed stuff about it, thank you!
  • rgustin
    rgustin Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this information. I was wondering what the difference was. :tongue:
  • LuckySe7en
    Options
    Thanks for all the info, great read!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I've started thinking of Greek yogurt as a protein bar, due to its high protein and calories. I like regular yogurt too so its good to know they both have benefits and are good for me.
  • Ash852
    Ash852 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I always used to wonder that what's the difference between two. But now, I know :)
  • MissJanay
    MissJanay Posts: 17
    Options
    It also has less sugar! I didnt know what greek yogurt was, I am not a huge yogurt fan at all . . . but I was going to get some since I am eating better and the greek had less sugar so I pick it and OH MY! Its amazing. I have been getting the Dannon Greek. I like the honey. The bottom of the cup has real honey and its so good. They also have strawberry, blueberry etc. I will never be able to switch back. It is so good and like she said, its so much healthier!
  • yvonnewilke
    yvonnewilke Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This was one of the headlines on YAHOO today : BEST SNACKS

1. BEST YOGURT
    Fage Total 2% Plain Greek Yogurt (7 oz container)
    130 calories
    4 g fat (3 g saturated)
    17 g protein
    8 g sugars

Yogurt is teeming with calcium, which promotes muscle growth; and probiotic bacteria, which bolsters your immune system. What's more, study participants who ate yogurt daily lost 81 percent more belly fat than those who didn't, according to a study published in the International Journal of Obesity. So why Greek? Because the Greek stuff has more than double the protein of standard American-style yogurt-and far less sugar. Want to make it even healthier? Add a few berries along with some nuts or seeds.
  • SwissCakeRoll
    Options
    this yogurt is a lot more sour than regular yogurts...they strain out the whey so its thicker and more sour...just a heads up for people like me who were a litle offput by the texture and taste. Im trying to get into it and wean off of the arificial sweetners Im used to in my "junk" yogurt.

Im trying it tonight as a sour cream substitute
  • lovingmylein
    lovingmylein Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree! I can't handle the taste of Greek yogurt....I have tried many times. :(
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Great post. I love greek yogurt. ^_^