Bread

Options
So has anyone ever watched that video that always comes up as an advertisement on this site about the "5 foods you should never eat?"
Well before I came to this site I had actually seen that video before....and the part that stuck out with me was about how wheat bread isn't exactly the best for you either and that if you're going to eat bread you should really get "sprouted wheat germ" or something like that. So ever since I saw that I tried to just not each much of my regular wheat bread that I usually ate (Nature's Own - because it was cheaper). Then i heard of Ezekiel brand bread that is the kind they are talking about - but you really can't buy it anywhere except health food stores but there really aren't any of those in my college town.

Anyway - last night I was picking out bread at the grocery store. I started looking at all the ingredients and finally found a bread that doesn't have "enriched" wheat flour or bleached wheat flour....and it probably has less than 10 ingredients. The only problem is that it's multi-grain bread not wheat bread. THIS IS SO HARD. It's Arnold brand "multi-grain healthy bread." I ended up buying it anyway. Sometimes I just feel like with all the restrictions there is no food left to eat on this planet.

Replies

• AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I know everyone SAYS your supposed to avoid carbs to loose weight...(especially bread) But that being said...I eat more carbs now then I did before I started dieting...I eat 2-4 slices of wheat bread a day and at least a cup of white rice and I have lost over 100 lbs doing this so I say ignore what all the tellings say and go with what works for you?? Sometimes too many restrictions is a bad thing!! Best of luck to you!
  • caesarslaw
    Options
    I love Arnold type bread! I actually have their seedless rye bread only 80 calories per slice it's a bit thinner so it won't overdo the carbs and it has that high class New York fancy sandwich taste with some yummy toppings haha.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I've completely absorbed the 21st century 'bread is the food of satan' message and I'm terrified of it.

I read somewhere that our stomachs were never really designed for grains anyway and, while most of us are not allergic or even intolerant to gluten, we also tend to feel more energised and less bloated when we cut it out.

Logically, I think that's probably false though. My sister is one of the healthiest, best adjusted people I know and she eats tons of bread. I get eye rolls from her when I refuse it. It ought to be seen as a low fat, healthy staple I think but we've lost that view somewhere along the line.
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You can micro-dissect a lot of foods, healthy or otherwise and probably find something wrong with them. Bread probably is the least of my worries. But for the record, I'd avoid anything made by Sara Lee. I like Brownberry Double Protein 100% whole wheat.
  • kbizzleoo
    kbizzleoo Posts: 114
    Options
    Yeah I know carbs aren't terrible. in fact, this website is wanting me to eat more carbs than protein - which surprised me. but on days when i do strength training I'll probably go over on protein.

SO ... its okay to eat the arnold bread? lol