clean protein bars

Options
cuz86
cuz86 Posts: 45 Member
Hey everyone...i have a hard time finding protein bars that arent crazy high in carbs and fat and arent packed with dairy

i prefer to stay away from dairy as it hurts my stomach...ive heard alot about LUNA bars and CLIFF bars would you say these are more meal or snack bars?

what are your favorite protein bar of choice

thanks

Replies

• mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I love Luna and Cliff.
    Cliff is higher in cals usually 240 ish and Luna is 180ish.
    I love the Cliff Chocolate Chip Bars. I eat them as a meal sometimes, like if I'm running to a softball game and I don't have time to eat a meal. I don't like to eat them as meals because they aren't very filling.
    My friend likes Think Thin bars, I have yet to try them but they look tasty :)
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I love Luna and Cliff.
    I love the Cliff Chocolate Chip Bars. I eat them as a meal sometimes, like if I'm running to a softball game and I don't have time to eat a meal.

Where do you buy them??
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    How about the Kashi bars...they have no high fructose corn syrup. I'm not sure about dairy.

2639362.png
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    Clif Builder bars are my bar of choice. They are great!

-Rain
  • cuz86
    Options
    How about the Kashi bars...they have no high fructose corn syrup. I'm not sure about dairy.

2639362.png

they arent very high in protein and are mostly made up of white rice :S
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Publix has both.
    Some gas stations have Luna and Cliff and the smoothie place I go to sells quite a few varieties. :)
    I love Luna and Cliff.
    I love the Cliff Chocolate Chip Bars. I eat them as a meal sometimes, like if I'm running to a softball game and I don't have time to eat a meal.

Where do you buy them??
  • cuz86
    Options
    Clif Builder bars are my bar of choice. They are great!

-Rain

would you say they are more meal bars rather then snack bars?
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Check out NUGO bars sold at Costco.
  • eryn415
    eryn415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love Luna bars for a snack! Oreo cookie is yummy, so is the smores flavor.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    They also have mini Cliff bars that are about 100 calories. When I travel I keep a few in my bag with me.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I just stay away from bars...it seems like there are just SO many calories/ carbs/ sugar...all of the thing I'm trying to stay away from. They are really processed and I would just rather eat more food for less cals. I just try to buy the less processed stuff. But to each their own :)
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You can buy them at grocery stores around here. I wouldn't use them as meal replacements, though clif bars are high in calories. I eat luna bars after a work out! They're delicious
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    why not make your own? You will have better control over the ingredients and quality. It's not hard to do. My hubby goes gaga for these ones and takes them as a cookie to work:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/make-your-own-primal-energy-bars-in-10-easy-steps/

I just run it all through a food processor, and then mashed them into greased muffin tins, and allow to set overnight. You could add some protein powder to up the ante if you want ;)
  • erikrichter
    erikrichter Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars... They're 180-200 cals, 20g of protein and only 3g of effective carbs. You can get them pretty much anywhere. I get the 18 pack from Sam's Club, but I think WalMart has them too.
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    I always take a cliff bar when going Snowboarding. They are tasty and I don't have to stop at all riding up and down the mountain. ^_^

I like Pure Protein bars also, the 20gr ones, with a non-fat, plain greek yogurt are very filling, they can make a full meal.
  • crystal10584
    Options
    the luna bars are very high in sugar and carbs...
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars... They're 180-200 cals, 20g of protein and only 3g of effective carbs. You can get them pretty much anywhere. I get the 18 pack from Sam's Club, but I think WalMart has them too.

I drink the Pure Protein drinks after a workout. Something like 1g of fat and maybe 2 g of sugar and only 110 cals for 12 oz
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't really call Clif Bars a protein bar.
    i'd make your own out of peanut butter, protein powder and oats or skip them all together and have a protein shake with lots of ice. the ice will thicken up the shake and give you that full feeling without all the sugar and other junk in most protein bars
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Luna and Clif are made by the same company. Luna is supposedly made specifically for women. These two bars have less of the "bad" stuff than many other bars. They use whole grains and high quality protein. The Luna bars also include vitamins women need like Folic Acid.

I eat Luna minis as a snack on occasion. Sometimes, my sweet tooth is calling and I'd rather eat a Luna than a snickers.
  • cuz86
    Options
    why not make your own? You will have better control over the ingredients and quality. It's not hard to do. My hubby goes gaga for these ones and takes them as a cookie to work:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/make-your-own-primal-energy-bars-in-10-easy-steps/

I just run it all through a food processor, and then mashed them into greased muffin tins, and allow to set overnight. You could add some protein powder to up the ante if you want ;)

YUM!!! going to try these out thanksss :D