BMI

Options
Whats your BMI? Its a weird thing as very fit sports people can be considered Obese.
I hate that word.

Replies

• laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Mine is 25
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    I'm 38.9, but I look it as well. I did read something in a copy of Womens Fitness recently that said something about a different for of measuring that's better than BMI, but I can't remember much about it. I guess I'll have to dg out my back issues and read them all.
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    Last time I checked it was around 27.
  • distant_dreamer
    Options
    34.6 :(

very depressing!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't account for Body Composition. Since Lean mass (Muscle Bone etc) is denser than fat...it weighs more and thus a muscular individual can weigh the same as an obese individual of the same height.

Think of comparing a 1lb of Bricks with 1lb of Feathers. They're both the same in weight...but not in size.

I'm an athlete, but my BMI has never been below 26 so I will always be considered "obese" by that scale.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Mine is 22.6 >>>>> Down from 27.8 in January :drinker:
  • sibz2u
    sibz2u Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started off as 32, but I'm 29 now.

I recently read this, but it doesn't give any clear answers: http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-bmi-20110417,0,7678756.story
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    you may be thinking about the waist to hip ratio ? not sure which one you measure first but apparently more accurate then BMI
  • Rollyrover
    Rollyrover Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Im 37 and that is going to change..... yes it is
  • Rollyrover
    Rollyrover Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    apparently you take your weight and divide it by your height and equals and divide it again by your height.
  • MMieure
    MMieure Posts: 48
    Options
    My son is considered obese if you do his BMI. He is 6'4" and weighs 260 which puts his BMI at 31.6. He has shoulders out to here and feet that are a size 15. His wrists are the size of my ankles. He is very muscular because he plays football. I think that they need to add some variables to that calculation!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Started at 33.8 now am 25.3

tried different body fat calucators i range from 19%-26% but i do have around 110 lb muscle mass (depends what calculations they ask for)

I want to get under 25 so bad on bmi scale but its not very much weight wise, gah
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    mines 17.0
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Started at over 30, now down to 25.3. Not stressing too much about getting under 25, as I know it's an imperfect measure.

Waist is down from 87 to 77 cm, which I'm more impressed with!
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    BMI is 26.9 which puts me in the obese range.

That's me in my profile pic, I don't think I'm obese at all.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    BMI is 26.9 which puts me in the obese range.

That's me in my profile pic, I don't think I'm obese at all.

No it doesn't, that would put you in the 'overweight' range, not obese. Obese is over 30.

And no, you certainly do not look obese!
  • Atlantique
    Options
    apparently you take your weight and divide it by your height and equals and divide it again by your height.

Did you know that there is a BMI calculator on this site? Go to TOOLS and you'll find it there.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    BMI is meant to study populations... not individuals. I think the person(s) who spread around its use for individual people should be taken out back and forced to do 1000 pushups.

edited for bad apostrophe use.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Mine's 24.9 as of Monday, so just barely back into the "healthy" range. It was 27.2 when I started MFP.
  • nicole751
    nicole751 Posts: 26
    Options
    mine's 19.2