carbs under 100g

Options

Replies

• donnamariemoon
    Options
    Yes, you take the total g of carbs listed BUT subtract any grams of fiber...fiber is not digested or stored by your body...just passes through...then you have your net carb count. I looked through my diary and some of the days that were over 100 g on mfp were under if I subtracted the fiber count.
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well dont avoid bread its a grain, just eat high fiber bread, low carb, low cal and 1 piece. I am a diabetic and am on strict plan but I was told 30- 40 carbs max per meal. 30 is best. 1200 cals per day
  • Kimrenaud
    Options
    Well dont avoid bread its a grain, just eat high fiber bread, low carb, low cal and 1 piece. I am a diabetic and am on strict plan but I was told 30- 40 carbs max per meal. 30 is best. 1200 cals per day
  • Kimrenaud
    Options
    Yes, you take the total g of carbs listed BUT subtract any grams of fiber...fiber is not digested or stored by your body...just passes through...then you have your net carb count. I looked through my diary and some of the days that were over 100 g on mfp were under if I subtracted the fiber count.

Yes I wish MFP would also calculate that carbs from fiber!
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    thanks for the food ideas, guys! what do you eat for a meal tho? i just can't wrap my head around the idea of a complete meal with no carbs.... i'm so out of my comfort zone, ha!
    Ah, I see...

Breakfast:
    Bacon and Eggs (you can sub any kind of meat really, and Egg Whites are great for protein without fat if you care about that).

Grilled Chicken Salad:
    Grill some boneless, skiness chicken breast, or pan fry with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, slice it into chunks and put it on a bed of spinach (or other kinds of greens), with whatever you like of peppers, onions, broccoli. As a dressing, you can find a sugar free, low carb dressing, or if you have a high quality red-wine vinegar, you can just use that.
    An interesting variation of this is found at a local Mexican Restaurant, where, they put guacamole, and pico-de-gallo on a bed of lettuce with the grilled chicken on top. All very low carb.
    You can imagine substituting beef or pork in this as well. Also, you can add cheese and many creamy dressings to up the calories, if you don't mind fat.

One time I sliced some frozen chicken breasts really thin (paper thing), and baked it on a cooling rack in the oven with a little garlic salt and black pepper until it was crispy. I used these "chicken chips" with some salsa and chip dip. :smile: not for the feint of heart.

Also, look up Baked Kale Chips on google, that makes a good snack.
  • Kimrenaud
    Options
    That could be tough to stay on as life style change.:smile:
  • iowagirl09
    Options
    Okay I'm going to jump in here and see what I remember from my biology/physiology classes. Anyone out there with a better answer correct me please!

There are two types of carbs, simple (monosaccharides) and complex (disaccharides). The simple carbs are easily broken down and cause blood sugar spikes, i.e. your glucose levels. The complex carbs are digested slowly so there isn't the glucose spike, and are also good for fiber and starch. These are usually your grains, vegetables, and potatoes. Complex carbs actually also include white flour breads and pastas, the problem is that they've had fiber parts extracted, so they serve no additional nutritional purpose. Where as the whole grains still have additional nutritional content. The kicker is that technically carbs from fruit are actually monosaccharides. But again, because fruit contains additional vitamins and minerals it is no longer "bad", or empty calories, for you.

What I've tried to do is cut out the "bad" carbs and get my carbs from the "good" sources, that provide additional nutrients. I realize this doesn't really answer your question, but look at what sources your carbs are coming from.

(Alright how much do I not remember from class? And did I totally screw up here?)
  • donnamariemoon
    Options

I think if you click on the "printable report" at the bottom of your food diary you can see how many grams were fiber.
  • Kimrenaud
    Options
    thanks for the food ideas, guys! what do you eat for a meal tho? i just can't wrap my head around the idea of a complete meal with no carbs.... i'm so out of my comfort zone, ha!
    Ah, I see...

You have to have some carbs. Friut is a carb, milk is a carb, bread, pasta, are carbs.
    Breakfast:
    Bacon and Eggs (you can sub any kind of meat really, and Egg Whites are great for protein without fat if you care about that).

Grilled Chicken Salad:
    Grill some boneless, skiness chicken breast, or pan fry with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, slice it into chunks and put it on a bed of spinach (or other kinds of greens), with whatever you like of peppers, onions, broccoli. As a dressing, you can find a sugar free, low carb dressing, or if you have a high quality red-wine vinegar, you can just use that.
    An interesting variation of this is found at a local Mexican Restaurant, where, they put guacamole, and pico-de-gallo on a bed of lettuce with the grilled chicken on top. All very low carb.
    You can imagine substituting beef or pork in this as well. Also, you can add cheese and many creamy dressings to up the calories, if you don't mind fat.

One time I sliced some frozen chicken breasts really thin (paper thing), and baked it on a cooling rack in the oven with a little garlic salt and black pepper until it was crispy. I used these "chicken chips" with some salsa and chip dip. :smile: not for the feint of heart.

• SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    It's really not as hard as you think. You don't have to eat bread either. It's ok to get all your carbs from fruits and vegetables. A lot of us do it. Most days my carb intake is around 60g.

Love Paleo!!
  • Kimrenaud
    Options
    diatician says veggies are free!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had a meal with absolutely no carbs, and really, you'd be eating all meat and fat, so yuck! So you'll have a few grams with every meal. While I was eating low carb, I was usually coming in at 25 - 30 grams per day. It's not that hard, if you know how to eat while avoiding higher carb items.

For me, a typical lunch would be a big salad equaling about 4-5 grams of NET carbs (total carbs - fiber):

3-4 cups romaine / spring mix / baby spinach
    1 hard boiled egg, sliced and/ or 3 oz grilled chicken breast
    1 oz. blue cheese crumbles
    3 oz. cucumber slices
    2 oz. celery slices
    2 tbsp Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing

I'd also occasionally have egg salad, chicken salad or tuna salad and eat it with celery sticks instead of bread or crackers. Again, just a few grams of carbs.

Another favorite is a lean ground beef patty, or a chicken breast, with a melted slice of cheddar cheese topped with Pace salsa. About 3 grams of carbs. Add some veggies to that, of course,to round out the meal for a few more carbs.

If you're stuck for ideas, check out the Atkins website for a list of "acceptable" foods. You may see some things on the list that will surprise, and or intrigue you, if you haven't tried them before. Good luck!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    My goal is between 50 and 80 a day. I am insulin resistant and it is a doctor recommended program for me. (I really can't lose the weight if I eat carbs).

But there are some products you CAN'T live without if you're having trouble living low-carb.

Healthy Life Low Carb Bread
    Dreamsfield Pasta products
    Missions Low Carb Tortillas
    KALE CHIPS! (I swear by these)

Its been my goal, since i will have to eat low carb for the rest of my days, that I WILL eat as 'normally' as possible. I will thoroughly enjoy my food, and there is no reason for me to have to feel like a T-rex or a rabbit depending on the meal. :tongue:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I think if you click on the "printable report" at the bottom of your food diary you can see how many grams were fiber.

You can change which items you see on your diary. From "My Home" click on "Settings" and then "Diary Settings". I have mine set to show Carbs, Fiber, Fat, Protein and Potassium, in that order.
  • nat102
    nat102 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Ah, I see...

Breakfast:

Grilled Chicken Salad:

hahahha OMG chicken chips.. never heard of that or thought of it.. how'd they taste? chips are my favorite food of all time
  • nat102
    Options
    Okay I'm going to jump in here and see what I remember from my biology/physiology classes. Anyone out there with a better answer correct me please!

There are two types of carbs, simple (monosaccharides) and complex (disaccharides). The simple carbs are easily broken down and cause blood sugar spikes, i.e. your glucose levels. The complex carbs are digested slowly so there isn't the glucose spike, and are also good for fiber and starch. These are usually your grains, vegetables, and potatoes. Complex carbs actually also include white flour breads and pastas, the problem is that they've had fiber parts extracted, so they serve no additional nutritional purpose. Where as the whole grains still have additional nutritional content. The kicker is that technically carbs from fruit are actually monosaccharides. But again, because fruit contains additional vitamins and minerals it is no longer "bad", or empty calories, for you.

What I've tried to do is cut out the "bad" carbs and get my carbs from the "good" sources, that provide additional nutrients. I realize this doesn't really answer your question, but look at what sources your carbs are coming from.

(Alright how much do I not remember from class? And did I totally screw up here?)

no, you didn't screw me up :) i hate that even fruits have carbs i have to count.. they are my healthy go to. i'm having a really hard time putting things into 'bad' categories... bc usually before i work out i will eat simple carbs for the exact purpose of quick energy!
  • nat102
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had a meal with absolutely no carbs, and really, you'd be eating all meat and fat, so yuck! So you'll have a few grams with every meal. While I was eating low carb, I was usually coming in at 25 - 30 grams per day. It's not that hard, if you know how to eat while avoiding higher carb items.

For me, a typical lunch would be a big salad equaling about 4-5 grams of NET carbs (total carbs - fiber):

3-4 cups romaine / spring mix / baby spinach
    1 hard boiled egg, sliced and/ or 3 oz grilled chicken breast
    1 oz. blue cheese crumbles
    3 oz. cucumber slices
    2 oz. celery slices
    2 tbsp Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing

I'd also occasionally have egg salad, chicken salad or tuna salad and eat it with celery sticks instead of bread or crackers. Again, just a few grams of carbs.

Another favorite is a lean ground beef patty, or a chicken breast, with a melted slice of cheddar cheese topped with Pace salsa. About 3 grams of carbs. Add some veggies to that, of course,to round out the meal for a few more carbs.

If you're stuck for ideas, check out the Atkins website for a list of "acceptable" foods. You may see some things on the list that will surprise, and or intrigue you, if you haven't tried them before. Good luck!

THANK YOU! priceless resource :)
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    as diabetiic I can only have 120 carbs. 100 is tuff! my diatician said no more than 3- 30 carb meals and 2-15 carb snacks. The fiber is subtracted from carb so eat high fiber things also.
    I am on the D-Life forum. We talk about this very subject alot. Each person reacts differently to carbs..depending on your insulin dependance etc etc. I try to stay under 200 a day. But I'm an active gal who works as a waitress in a bowling ally. I walk alot! I eat my meals about 45 and under 3x. And snacks to about 35 I guess? I try to make sure they are spread out so the heavier carb meals come right before I go to work and walk them off faster or before gym time. I pretty much gave up regular bread sandwiches and potatoes and rice and pasta. I have pasta and rice in small portions though. Using my meter before and after first time meals helped me figure out what meals spike me and not. Then I adjusted my carb intake to that. I know if I try to go so low I'd just cheat more then not. The most important thing for me was to get lower bg numbers. Which I am.
  • Kimrenaud
    Options
    Yes its true, thats the diabetic approach I went to a nutritonist for 6 mos.. The fiber counts against carbs, same with sugar alchols except you choose 1 or the other not both .Another thing is portion size 9" plate divided into 3rds. the half of plate is , salad then 4oz lean meat, then veggie if carrot peas or corn 1 cup only. I have lost 58lbs doing this and can at just about everything with in moderation thats the key! So most of my meals carbs are less than posted.
  • Kimrenaud
    Options
    Yep your correct on the approach. Ours is for life. I dont want to make it harder on myself and feel deprived or I wont do it. The fact that I have limits helps me set and stay at my boundries, but also makes me feel like I can do this. So far I am pleased....Yes I dont eat pastas, or any white things, maybe rice alittle if having sushi once in a great while.I am looking for life change not just a quick weight loss.