MFP says I'm not eating enough - confused?

Options
2»

Replies

• T_William
    T_William Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    YOURE FINE. i set my goal for 500 calories a day and if i go under 500 it says i'm eating too little and will go into starvation mode, but i've noticed if i hit 500 it says i'm fine. MFP only tells you that you'll starve if you don't reach your goal. even if you have your goal set to 200 calories. so don't worry about it.

Under 500 a day sounds like starvation more then a diet!

mind you the woman who posted this is 4'10. something to consider for her dietary needs will be different than those who are much taller.
    Of course but 500 is too low regardless of size I can burn that completely off in a short gym session + activeness at work for example. Being so low the body will store it as fat in order to prevent starvation, a "panic" mode for those under eating and youll burn more muscle then fat
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    YOURE FINE. i set my goal for 500 calories a day and if i go under 500 it says i'm eating too little and will go into starvation mode, but i've noticed if i hit 500 it says i'm fine. MFP only tells you that you'll starve if you don't reach your goal. even if you have your goal set to 200 calories. so don't worry about it.

you may not want to do the above mentioned....you'll lose weight for sure but your body needs nutriion.....I have done stuff like this in the past and put ALL (yes every last pound) back on....habits are what you want to change:)) You'll end up dieting again, and again, and again and again.....why not make this a final round of trying to lose weight:))

add almonds, peanut butter, granola, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds or maybe a protein bar/shake

feed your body enough nutrients

and welcome to MFP:))
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    almonds, cottage cheese, laughing cow cheese
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options

mind you the woman who posted this is 4'10. something to consider for her dietary needs will be different than those who are much taller.
    Granted she is only 4'10 but I would think that is low...I dunno though. Am not an expert. Def way low for someone who is not 4'10
  • irasonrisita
    Options

that's actually not okay....I hope you two realize that when I was eating under 1200 calories a day, I gained 10 pounds. My food journal has been consistent and I'm not working out as much and I'm slowly losing weight. 500 is a definite no-no.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options

Don't listen to this advice, you should not eat under 1200 calories. 500 calories is nowhere near healthy.

absolutely!!!
  • Sugar_Dumpling
    Sugar_Dumpling Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ps - I'm 5'2, looking to loose abt 20lbs x
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Ignore it. It always says I am not eating enough.
  • mrssmock
    mrssmock Posts: 9
    Options
    I have the same problem, trying to work on it, but I don't eat large portions and am having a hard time eating two meals a day and one snack and trying to reach even 1,000 calories. I feel stuffed all the time when I do that. I am trying to make sure what I do put in is at least good fuel. Pistachios are a weakness for me so I try to have those as a snack.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    nevermind.....
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Ignore it. It always says I am not eating enough.
    :huh:
  • BeeBones
    BeeBones Posts: 6
    Options
    500!!! your crazy
    what do you eat. one cookie a day
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Try a "good" fat like peanut butter or an avocado. That will pack on a couple hundred calories right there.
  • tazlady
    tazlady Posts: 60
    Options
    maybe hormones might have something to do with it. When was the last time you had a physical? :wink:
  • tazlady
    tazlady Posts: 60
    Options
    maybe hormones might have something to do with it. When was the last time you had a physical? :wink:
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    We should always stipulate whether we are talking about NET calories or FOOD calories or EXERCISE calories.
    I have a hard time eating less than 1600 FOOD calories per day, but generally under my goal of 1270 NET calories per day. Some days I have been under 500 NET calories per day. On the day I don't work out I have a hard time only eating 1270 FOOD calories. And at the end of the week the gray bar on the app is usually around 1000 NET average calories for the week.

Stay under your red line on a weekly basis and you'll be fine, just not too far under.
  • BeeBones
    BeeBones Posts: 6
    Options
    :)
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Under 500 a day sounds like starvation more then a diet!

Of course but 500 is too low regardless of size I can burn that completely off in a short gym session + activeness at work for example. Being so low the body will store it as fat in order to prevent starvation, a "panic" mode for those under eating and youll burn more muscle then fat

right, no i totally understand what you are saying and completely agree. i was just trying to be diplomatic about it as this one isn't the member askin for help. Sugar Dumpling is. soo yeah. i agree its not healthy but we don't know anything about this girl's decisions or whether she's under medical nutritional watch or whatever. so yeah. ;)
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    ps - I'm 5'2, looking to loose abt 20lbs x

ok so i'm not goin to claim to be an expert but are you trying to lose 20 lbs exactly or are you trying to tone up? sometimes you want to look better and feel better but this won't actually mean losing weight. it might mean toning up. I'm not sure what your exercise routine is but thats something you're going to want to incorporate at some point. but you have to remember if you exercise you have to compensate for more calories lost.

sooo plan your meals. healthy fats. Olive Oils Peanut oils flax seed so on. heavy fruits. Heavy veggies heavy protein. sit down and write down what you like to eat and how you can incorporate that into a calorie sufficient diet. I spread sheet everything (thanks to my best friend getting me addicted to organization.) so you might want to try that. mark down what you like, whats the calories fat sodium so on. take a look at what you want to eat vs what you are eating and see how you can find a happy medium. see what you can add more of oone thing and take away from others.

raw nuts is hands down my fave. you might also want to consider switching from 3 meals a day 5 small meals and find your self eating more to what the system wants you to but its going to take planning. :)

i hope this helps. we are all trying for the same ultimate goal.. less of us LOL