Anyone with PCOS?

Options
2»

Replies

• motherofjade
    Options
    I'd like to add, I'm not on it to get pregnant so I can't say personally if it would work or not. I'm on it to help me with weight loss and to regulate my periods.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    another pcos-er here. i have found that a low carb lifestyle works the best for me. by low carb, i mean around 100 grams. i mainly try to eat my carbs in the form of veggies and fruit, instead of grain, rice, bread, etc. it took me a full year but i lost 30 pounds and have been maintaining it since thanksgiving. :) i would still like to lose an additional 10.

feel free to friend me.
  • dstsur5or
    dstsur5or Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS! I was diagnosed with the condition in 2004. I was 22 years old, newly engaged, and told my chance to get pregnant was going to be very slim due to all the complications I had began to have. Within four months I was down 43lbs. Now almost 7 years and one child later the weight has crept back on. I have realized that losing weight is definitely the best option in helping with PCOS. It may be hard but don't give up because it is possible.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. Diagnosed is December 2007. I have lost almost 30lbs since then, but I just recently realized that I really need to pay attention to the amount of carbs I eat.

It really is tough to lose weight, but I will just keep plugging along KNOWING that I will see results if I stay diligent.
  • Aubers
    Aubers Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS. Was just diagnosed at the beginning of the year. Surprisingly I lost a good amount of weight in 3 months, but now am at a standstill. Hubby and I have been trying to conceive for about 6-7 months now with no luck. It's definitely depressing at times. Was only put on Metformin a little under a month ago, finally started my period after the first week on it! So hopefully this is a good sign for us TTC! Feel free to add me! Always love to hear others stories/experiences
  • MClark71903
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2002, been dealing with that for a long time. Never did I have to struggle with the weight as much as I have since having my son back in 2003, but mainly over the last 5 years, getting worse lately. I would love to have the motivation and support from others dealing with PCOS. I've been really struggling since my miscarriage back in August of last year. I had lost 22 pounds, gained back 12, lost another 10 when I found out I was pregnant. I gained all of that back during the 5 weeks from the day I found out I was pregnant until I had my D&C due to miscarriage. Now I've finally lost 8.6 pounds, but it's so slow and I just can't seem to break through and lose anymore.
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in January 2011, and since then have changed my lifestyle and so far have lost 18lbs. It IS possible with a lot of dedication and hard work! Feel free to friend me! I know how hard it is but you came to the right place. MFP has been amazing support on my journey! Best of luck to you!!
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'd like to link my daughter to this blog...thanks everyone
  • MMTess
    MMTess Posts: 3
    Options
    I've had PCOS since adolescence and it went undiagnosed until the pain put me in the hospital and a cyst was removed. Losing weight is such an uphill battle with so many of the symptoms working against you. It wasn't until my 20's that I was able to lose any weight. Doctors told me that all my symptoms, excess weight, irregular periods, extreme period pain, appetite increase, headaches and depression were all my own fault and if I just lost weight everything would be better. No wonder I hated myself.... I've been losing weight constantly now with daily activity and eating right (no soda, no junk food, lots of fruits and veggies). It's not impossible if you stick with it!!! (:
  • ☆ShawnsMom08☆
    ☆ShawnsMom08☆ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. It sucks but I have noticed since I have been losing weight that the symptoms are slowling down if you will. I work extra hard and generally lose lbs a week. My doctor set a goal of 5lbs a month and when I came back to see her I had lost 18 instead of 10. We just have to work harder. If you need a buddy, I'm here.
  • lanenalatina
    lanenalatina Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I hav to join this post b/c I have PCOS too, the funny thing is I was diagnosed about 2 years ago and since then I have been going to my OBGYN Dr on regular basis and get an songram every three months I have read about it alot and I know that some woman take medicine for it, and I have brought up when I come to c the Dr, but they don't pay attention to me. I have very painful Periods and yes for me it has been a struggle to loose weight and I don't know if it just me but I am always hungry. I join MFP about 2 or 3 weeks ago and it is working out but very slow.

If anyone who reads want to add me and The girl you posted this post want to add me plz feel free to do so. I honestly think that all of us here with PCOS should be friend to discuss and motivate eachother basically with all go throw the same issues

Thanks
  • YolondaNicole
    Options
    Hi all,

I know it's kind of late, but thank you for all of your postings on this topic. On 4/20, I had a saddle pulmonary embolus (life threatening blood clot in arteries leading to both lungs) and was admitted to the hospital for 5 days. The docs could not figure it out but think that the birth control that I was on for PCOS was the cause. Ever since then, the docs have taken me off the birth control, but not my Metformin has been increased to 1000mg twice daily. So far, my periods have been regular (thank god), but many of the other symptoms still persist (insulin resistance, fatigue, hair thinning, acne, facial hair). I'm hoping that I will start to lose weight, but one thing that I've learned through the many success stories in the posts were that diet very important. My neighbor is my new gym workout buddy so that's been great but I still struggle with carb cravings and I think that's why I haven't seen a double digit weight loss yet. Anyhow, I just thought I'd share and I hope to keep in touch with you "cysters" as well.

-YolondaNicole
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    PCOS girl here too.
    Officially diagnosed in 2003 but had signs and symptoms my entire adolescent life. It wasn't until I tried to have a baby that I sought out medical help. Had a baby girl in 2006 with the help of Metformin and Clomid.
    Lost weight last year and got pregnant with no intervention this time (shocker).
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that! How scary! Glad that you are ok though!

I also have PCOS. I was diagnosed as a teen and was on birth control for approximately 7 years. Never took any other medications. Starting losing weight a year and a half ago and while it is much harder and can be slow going, if you keep at it, you will get there! I went off the pill in December, about 6 months ago, and my weight loss stalled. My doctor was worried that I'd put weight back on, but luckily, that hasn't happened, and I'm still losing, just much slower. I have found many of the symptoms relieved now that I've lost weight- mostly regular periods (until this month, grr :grumble:), and while they last a bit longer they are much lighter, as is the cramping (the cramps are even lighter than when I was on the pill!).

Anyone of you can feel free to friend me. I have some other friends with PCOS on here too. It is always good to have others who understand the struggles and the frustrations.

Best of luck to you all! :smile: