How does lifting weights...? Im confused

Options
How does lifting weights with your arms get rid of belly fat??

I am so confused.. i have had a tummy issues for a while and cant seem to get rid of it by just cardio and healthy eating.. and everyone is suggesting lifting weights.. i just dont get it. you would think that would just make your arms stronger??

By the way.. i am 5'5 female 20 years old. 126 pounds.

Replies

• horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    there is no such thing as spot getting rid of fat. YOu exercise so your body can burn off the fat. However, your body decides where the fat is going to come from. Doing cardio and strength training are the best way to increase the metabolism of your body so it burns the fat, while you keep it properly fed.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    Because strength training builds muscle and muscle burns fat!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Haha lifting weights increases or maintains muscle mass, so that boosts your metabolism and increases your BMR.

Nothing will specifically get rid of belly fat. A healthy diet + cardio + lifting = reduced body fat% overall

abs are made in the kitchen :]
  • hifinm
    hifinm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    muscle is denser than fat and requires more calories to maintain it. Thus if you were to add on 5 or 10 lbs of muscle, you would increase your metabolism. don't worry, 10 lbs of muscle won't make you look like arnold. It would be spread out over you entire body and you problably wouldn't even increase in size
  • Cathy_5011
    Options
    Because strength training builds muscle and muscle burns fat!

diddo
  • raptoradaptor
    Options
    Muscles burn fat.. You can't choose a point of combustion, but surely it can't hurt to grow your abdominal muscles aswell :)
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights will often fire up your "core" abs, etc...to stabilize while you are lifting...also, your belly is where most people store fat reserves..so cardio and eating right will really not get rid of this (it will be the last bit of fat on your body to go)...but when you lift weights, your muscles draw on these fat reserves to get you through...(cardio mainly works your heart muscle)...so doing cardio alone is not enough....my rule of thumb now, I do equal, if not more weight training...and the inches just come off..especially in the tummy area :)

You can however, do some great core workouts - Your 20 - search on Youtube and your will find them..to help strenghten your core and tighten up the muscles...
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    and this isnt scientific or anything, but I ve noticed it on myself & a few people i know have mentioned it as well, but for me, i seem to be losing fat in a "last on, first off" kind of way. No idea why, just something I observed, which means for me, the belly fat will be the last to go :(
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is both muscle burns fat and strength training, especially if it is done intensely (heavy weights for low repetitions) will keep burning extra calories long after you stop working out. If you do cardio like strength training workout it will burn calories even longer. I have posted about those sort of workouts, called Metabolic Resistance Training, on my blog here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rileysowner
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I feel like watching sugar intake helps with bloating though. When I lower my sugar intake my belly is flatter- so I think when I feel like I'm dealing with belly fat I'm really just dealing with bloating.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Strength training is a lot more than just lifting weights with your arms. There's exercises to work all the muscle groups in your body... your legs, core, arms, back.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Try to incorporate 2 to 3 different types of cardio. Try walking (or treadmill), biking (or bike machine), hiking, elliptical machine that has includes arm movements, calisthenics, etc. Anything that gets your heart rate up and makes you sweat and winded (but not gasping).

Belly fat will be the last fat to go. It will take months, if not years, depending on how much excess fat you have. You just need to be patient.

The goal is to lose fat while maintaining as much muscle as you can while operating in a calorie deficit. Lifting weights helps retain muscle. Muscle-mass burns calories and raises your metabolism.

A well-rounded workout program will include cardio, strength-training, flexibility & balance exercises each and every week. Good luck.
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    I read a study the other day that said that people who eat greek yogurt every day lose something like 83% more belly fat than those who don't. Have no clue if it's the case, but I'm picking ups some greek yogurt next shopping trip!
  • bayabaya
    bayabaya Posts: 52
    Options
    wow thanks everyone.. idk why i didnt think of that before..
    obviously when you run you are not only losing weight in your legs!
    I kind of feel stupid now.. lol
    My boyfriend jut bought the Powertec Workbench Multi Station Leverage Home Gym
    from ****s Sporting Goods and I wanted to start using it.. what do you suggest for the best workouts?
    I really enjoy the squats.. and how much should i be lifting? bc most of u are saying "LIFt very heavy weights"??
  • wide_rider
    Options
    I think where you might be getting confused is the 'lifting' part of it. Weight training is more than just bicep curls. lol Building muscle helps burn fat all through your body by raising your metabolism, because muscle uses energy whereas fat is simple storage, plus your body continues to burn calories long after your workout. If you are a member of a gym, ask about a session with a personal trainer: many gyms offer a free session to members to help them get started. Even if you have to pay for a couple sessions, it's well worth it on the long run.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights will often fire up your "core" abs, etc...to stabilize while you are lifting...also, your belly is where most people store fat reserves..so cardio and eating right will really not get rid of this (it will be the last bit of fat on your body to go)...but when you lift weights, your muscles draw on these fat reserves to get you through...(cardio mainly works your heart muscle)...so doing cardio alone is not enough....my rule of thumb now, I do equal, if not more weight training...and the inches just come off..especially in the tummy area :)

You can however, do some great core workouts - Your 20 - search on Youtube and your will find them..to help strenghten your core and tighten up the muscles...

I was just about to say this same thing about your core. When you are lifting focus on good form and hold your core steady to work your tummy muscles. Like previous posters have said, muscle burns fat.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    from ****s Sporting Goods and I wanted to start using it.. what do you suggest for the best workouts?
    I really enjoy the squats.. and how much should i be lifting? bc most of u are saying "LIFt very heavy weights"??

I have a set of 5 pound weights that I use and have used a set of 3 pound weights. I would start small and work yourself up. As long as you can keep good form with the heavier weights go ahead and keep going up. The weight of the weights don't matter as much as your form does.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Lift heavy enough that after about 8 to 10 reps you can't do anymore without resting( go to failure). If you can do more than 10 reps increase the weight, and do it again on your next set. Try to incorporate all your muscles in your workouts. Make sure you rest your muscles that you worked for at least 48 hours before you work them again.