Working out @ home

Options
Question for any of you who do aerobics at home.
Do you wear running shoes to do this?
I did aerobics for the first time ever tonight, wore bare feet. It wasnt the most comfortable but wasnt horrible either.
Just wondering if I should wear footwear or if it matters?

Replies

• A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I do all my working out at home because I can't afford to go to the gym nor do I have the money. I do workout dvd (30-day shred and Turbojam). I always wear shoes. I didn't in the beginning and my back suffered because of it. I would highly recommend wearing shoes.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I definitely wear my shoes. My feet are not happy jumping around on a hard floor with no cushioning.
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    In a word....YES. But I don't wear them for my Yoga, but YES I do for almost everything else.
  • alex51026
    alex51026 Posts: 71
    Options
    Definately shoes, especially if you aren't on carpet. If you are on carpet you might want to throw an area rug on top so you dont tear up/stain your carpet! Have fun! Enjoy!
  • skarolewski36
    Options
    I do Jillian Michael work outs at home and wear running shoes. It sure helps me. I only do Yoga barefoot. Good luck!!
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I do turbo jams mixed with insanity and ALWAYS wear my tennis shoes. Only time I go barefoot is when I am doing weights at home.
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't wear shoes with my dvd because it's low impact cardio pilates.
  • annastacia10
    Options
    I don't do aerobics, but I do Tae Bo and circuit training at home and I have found that I do prefer wearing my shoes for it. I bought a pair of Reebok runtones, primarily for my jogging outside, but when I wear them for my indoor workouts I can really feel the burn in my calves and hind end (trying to use a polite word here). :happy: But ultimately it's whatever YOU feel more comfortable doing, whatever gets you that good burn from a workout.
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    ....Well, I never wear shoes at home to work out! I guess I'm in the minority.....I don't have any issues with my feet or with my shins, and we do have hard flooring. I suppose it's all personal preference.
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    stretching on the floor and yoga are better without shoes. But I totally agree that one needs good training shoes for cardio, jumping around etc. It really makes a difference.
  • m2purple
    m2purple Posts: 38
    Options
    I wear my shoes. I didn't when I started, but found I was more comfortable and pushed harded when I did wear shoes, and ended up burning more calories.
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I wear my workout clothes and shoes as if i was going to the gym when i workout at home. :happy: if i do yoga or pilates i'm barefoot.
  • JodyBFitness
    Options
    I say def. wear shoes! I wear shoes with all of my workouts except for Yoga.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what I'm doing. When I do step aerobics or "mountain climbers" or even speed squats, I wear my cross trainers. When I do simple bodyweight stuff like push-ups, pull ups, yoga, abs, etc, I don't bother. Basically if you are doing exercises that have the potential to create impact-based wear and tear on your joints or feet, I would recommend it.
  • Walking2Lose
    Walking2Lose Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I , agree with everyone else, definitely wear sneakers when working out. The only time I don't is when I do Pilates workouts or yoga and the instructor (on dvd) mentions that you shouldn't wear sneakers/shoes while doing the workout.
  • EvaiTryst
    EvaiTryst Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Shoes are a definite. They cushion your feet and help to support you.
    Not for yoga though. Then I find they inhibit flexibility.

I work out at home. Billy Blanks is great. Yoga is awesome for stretching.
    I also have a Kinect which I use Your Shape Fitness with. It's cool because it tracks calories burned as you work out.

You have to make sure you have enough room though. I have this one Denise Austin workout that is awesome, but you need a HUGE amount of space to do it. I sadly don't have enough room. :(
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    My basic rule: If the people in the video have shoes, I wear shoes; if the people in the video are barefoot, I go barefoot. As a matter of fact, doing a workout that needs the support is the only reason I ever wear shoes in the house.