new here....not one friend yet

Options
Hi everyone...its my first day and I need some friends here..lol!!
I am not understanding why is it giving me so many calories a day?
hope someone can help!:smile:

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I'll be your friend, but I know very little about fitness. I'm here for comic relief.

How many calories is it giving you?
  • timlover38
    timlover38 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Heather. Who are 3 people who have never been in my ktichen?

If you get that...you can add me

:P
  • moyyster
    moyyster Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm pretty new to this site too. I started using it last week, but so far so good.

Your calorie intake is based on the type of lifestyle you have and how many pounds you want to lose. I think they also take into account your age and actual weight. Our bodies need ~1200 calories per day to function properly, give or take depending on a person's body size (That's a rough guess). Any additional calories are based on how much you want to lose and the type of lifestyle you have.
  • krismv20
    krismv20 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hopefully the previous post answered your question and you get the calories figured out! She answered pretty much exactly how I was going to!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'll be your friend...and your momma won't even have to pay me! Haha...welcome to MFP.
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'll add you if you want, I've been on here for a couple of weeks now.

As for the calories...what did you put down as your activity level? When you are not 'working out', how active are you? Me, I'm a stay at home mom, so I put sedentary, since I rarely do work outside of exercise that gets my heart rate up. Based on my weight, height, and what my goals are to lose each week, it gave me a base calorie of 1200 a day. Now, that 1200 is for my sedentary lifestyle, and if I want to lose a pound a week without exercise, in theory, I could do it on 1200 calories a day.

I have been working out 6 days a week, and burn at least 500 calories at a time, if not 600+ (I bicycle mainly), so I'm allowed to add those calories to my 1200 daily count, and I'll still lose weight.

I haven't changed my eating habits at all, and since I started logging my food, I found out I'm eating anywhere from 1500-1900 calories a day normally. So when I don't work out, I'm going over significantly. But, on the days I work out, I actually come in UNDER calories for the day....

It's working, because I've lost 9 pounds in 4 weeks. (I've only joined here a little over a week ago, but I've been working out 6X a week for a month now)

It's been enlightening, seeing my eating habits (and trying to be honest about them! LOL) I've got 50+ pounds to lose, so I realize that I will lose fairly quickly at first, and then it'll get harder, but it't nice that for once, I'm actually seeing results! I've tried sticking to a workout routine dozens of times, and always gave up after about a month because I didn't lose weight at all! Now i see why! I eat too much! hahaha However, I don't want to give up my food, so I decided that I'll just have to work harder to get the calories off.

Good luck! I'm on her every day, so I'll see you around!
  • ladyeyessogreen
    ladyeyessogreen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!! friend request sent
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Heather. Who are 3 people who have never been in my ktichen?

If you get that...you can add me

:P

Archibald Leach, Bernard Schwartz and Lucille LeSueur!
  • lmerri25
    lmerri25 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I have been on here a while but I haven't really looked for friends yet. you can add me if you like. Oh and my best guess is president lincoln,einstien and elvis bcuz its not possible
  • bonitamenina
    Options
    hey .. im new here too.. dont really know how this works.. but im def not eating 1970 cals a day :S kindaaa a lot:S