regulating your insulin levels...hope this makes sense

Options
Ok, I took this from an article I was reading about healthy weight loss. And I have some questions about this.

"Our pancreas creates a hormone called insulin that transports blood sugar into our body's cells where it is used for energy. When we eat refined grains that have had most of their fiber stripped away, sugar, or other carbohydrate-rich foods that are quickly processed into blood sugar, the pancreas goes into overtime to produce the insulin necessary for all this blood sugar to be used for energy. This insulin surge tells our body that plenty of energy is readily available and that it should stop burning fat and start storing it.

However, the greater concern with the insulin surge is not that it tells our body to start storing fat. Whatever we eat and don't burn up eventually gets turned into fat anyway.

The greater concern is that the insulin surge causes too much blood sugar to be transported out of our blood and this results in our blood sugar and insulin levels dropping below normal. This leaves us feeling tired and hungry and wanting to eat more. The unfortunate result of this scenario is that it makes us want to eat something else with a high sugar content. When we do, we start the cycle all over again."

Questions: How do we regulate our insulin levels to make sure we stay where we need to be? You know the finger stick sugar tester? Would that be an accurate way to monitor insulin levels? Or am I thinking about the wrong thing here? And if I'm thinking right, why doesn't anyone use those testers for that when dieting?

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    bump
  • Kera885
    Kera885 Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will answer your question, but what you're describing occurs due to insulin spikes. This happens when massive amounts of sugar enter your body at once, to prevent this, you should eat small meals often to keep your blood sugar levels and insulin levels stable to prevent those spikes. Otherwise it's up and down which wreaks havoc on your body. Someone else here might be able to explain it better, but that's my understanding of it.
  • Strawberry34
    Options
    [I'm not sure if this will answer your question, but what you're describing occurs due to insulin spikes. This happens when massive amounts of sugar enter your body at once, to prevent this, you should eat small meals often to keep your blood sugar levels and insulin levels stable to prevent those spikes. Otherwise it's up and down which wreaks havoc on your body. Someone else here might be able to explain it better, but that's my understanding of it.]

Well, I know what ur saying....but I'm wondering if there a way to monitor these levels. Thanks!
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    A diet that consists of low glycemic index foods can help tremendously in preventing insulin spikes. If you have insulin resistance or are just concerned about preventing insulin spikes, you should avoid cane/corn sugar, white rice and white flour like the plague. You can take a blood test to monitor blood sugar and insulin levels. A lot of people find that by maintaining a low GI diet, they eventually get sensitive enough to "feel" when their insulin levels are too high after eating certain foods.
  • Yovnee
    Yovnee Posts: 7
    Options
    The finger sticker measures the level of sugar in your blood. If you are not diabetic or insulin-resistant, the insulin released will keep your sugar at a fairly stable level. Many people don't realize they have become insulin-resistant or pre-diabetic.
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    OK......this is so great that you are learning about this. For starters realize that ALL food gets broken down into sugar for the body to use for energy, but depending on the type of food determines how quickly it can get broken down. The quicker it breaks down the faster it and more drastically it raises you blood sugar, the larger the insulin surge required to bring you blood sugar down into normal limits. As dicussed this can result in a too low blood sugar with the accompanying cravings. This is called the "Somogyi Swing" (one of my favorite medical terms it just sounds so fun.....but it's NOT) What you want is a food that will slowly break down raising you blood sugar slowly and will maintain you blood sugar at an appropriate level long term. This will curb hunger and cravings significantly. Protein is your best friend in this regard. Eating foods high in protein help stabilize blood sugar levels and therefore insulin output. So many people are becoming diabetic now because after 50-60 years the pancreas (which produces insulin) is completely worn out and can't produce appropriate amounts of insulin anymore. That's when people have to go on meds or insulin. The food that you want to focus on to maintain a normal blood sugar long term is protein. It takes your body longer to break down protein into sugar, doesn't spike your blood sugar like simple sugars do. Simple sugars are things like chocolate or candy bars.....but even white bread and crackers fall into this catagory, the more complex the carbs the better they are but even things like whole wheat bread or whole grain rice aren't as good as you think. A way that you can evaluate a food to determine how quickly it will break down and how high it will send your blood sugar is to check it's glycemic index. Foods with Glycemic indexes of 0-54 are the ones you should eat the most of. 55-79 should be used in moderation and over 80 only very rarely as a special treat. Check the web for list of foods and their glycemic index. Diabetics have to control and watch their carb intake to control their diabetes, everyone concerned with their health should be paying attention to it also to prevent becomking diabetic. Yous could certainly use a glucometer to measure your blood glucose an hour after eating to see what you blood sugar is doing but things can change very rapidly and you might miss it, and I think you would tire quickly of poking yourself with the lancets to check it. It's easier, and just as affective to change your diet and see how you feel, energy level, cravings etc....there is a test that your MD can do to check your average blood glucose over some period of time but I don't know what it is in human medicine. In veterinary medicine it is a fructosamine level. Try to eat your body wt in protein daily. Limit your carbs to low glycemic index foods that are veggies. Watch fruit as they break down quickly into sugar. I could go on and on but I hope this helps you understand the mechanism of this better so that you can make better food chooses. Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Bigmomma0u812
    Options
    I obviously know nothing about dieting but I do know that because I have PCOS and because I had gestational diabetes when pregnant I have a greater risk of getting diabetes later in life... and because of the PCOS I do have insulin resistance. The only way I know how to monitor it is by the blood tests. I had to do them 2 hours after eating while pregnant about 4x a day (talk about sore fingers!!). I kept mine at great levels with diet and I could tell when mine were low because I would get really shakey but I never knew when they were high, probably because I never cheated on my diet and had a high reading. I was serious aboug having a healthy baby and afraid to risk it. So while this is no help at all I do know what I ate while pregnant and what foods didn't cause me harm and which ones do. I don't know if its the same for every diabetic or not but it could be.
  • charding40
    Options
    the bld tester is to show how much sugar is in your bld, i am a type 1 diabetic have had it most of my 40 yrs, and not sure wether you live in the states or not but here in canada we measure our bld by a reading of 7 or under,,,,if its a high number say 12 to 15 then you have too much sugar in your system and your pancreas isnt creating enough insulin to push this sugar thru your system and break it down, so all that excess sugar gets stored in your cells, and since its not being broken down and moved properly thru your body it will turn to fat and be stored as fat. hope that helps :)
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will answer your question, but what you're describing occurs due to insulin spikes. This happens when massive amounts of sugar enter your body at once, to prevent this, you should eat small meals often to keep your blood sugar levels and insulin levels stable to prevent those spikes. Otherwise it's up and down which wreaks havoc on your body. Someone else here might be able to explain it better, but that's my understanding of it.

Spot on. The small meals should consist of a complex carbohydrate (whole grains, sprouted wheat breads, brown rice, whole grain pasta, etc), protein (cottage cheese, lean meats, chicken, turkey, fish, tofu, vegetable proteins, etc.), and a fat (olive oil, cheese). In this way, the complex carbohydrate provides energy, the protein regulates the rate at which it's metabolized, and the fat will help keep you feeling full and will help metabolize your fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K).

Eating three larger meals and two to three smaller meals ensures that your blood sugar stays regulated and you never get famished, which encourages binging. Your muscles have a constant supply of energy to help you stay active, alert, and feeling good all day.

Hope this helps!
  • charding40
    Options
    also to avoid sugar insulin spikes you have to be careful with what you eat, stay away from the white stuff ie flour bread rice etc you also have to watch the amount of carbs you eat as well as these can also spike your sugar levels, for me i cant have a large orange at one time because of the natural sugars in it.....
  • 38Gigi38
    38Gigi38 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The blood test that my doctor did to check my levels was called an "A 1 Fasting" blood test. If you are really concerned about it, the next time you go to the doctor tell them you want to have a test scheduled...You'll have to not eat or drink after midnight and they usually do the test in the morning.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can monitor your blood sugar level with a glucometer. They are inexpensive and can be purchased at any drugstore. However, the test strips run about $1 a piece and you need a prescription from your doctor for them. I doubt that your insurance would cover it if you are not diabetic. You will use about 3-5 test strips a day.

Research 'diebetic diet' and it should tell you lower your carbs (not eliminate them all together), balance carbs with protein, eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks (eating every 2-3 hours), and exercise.

Good luck!

By the way, I had gestational diabetes with my last preganancy and I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks after starting the 'diabetic diet' and didn't gain any more during my pregnancy. I'm following the same plan now and I've lost 18 pounds.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Protein is your friend for regulating your insulin/blood sugar. Also, it doesn't matter the source of the carbs if consumed in the evenings in a small window. One large insulin spike at night will not hinder your progress.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Here is a good read. Liver Dumps http://ezinearticles.com/?Understanding-Liver-Dump-Or-Dawn-Phenomenon-in-Diabetes&id=2422851

I am type II diabetic and before my workouts I eat carbs to prevent liver dumps. Typically through Whey Protein. It has worked for me but still get some Dawn Phenomenon in the mornings.