What are the benefits of Whey Protein?

Options
megz4987
megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
In dummy terms, please, haha. I tried googling and i just dont get it.
So... what are the benefits, to a woman, of whey? Is it something you have to exercise with? is it ok to drink as a meal? What, in your opinion, would be the best kind? And any other information you can dig out of your brain would be great :)
Thanks!

Replies

• jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options
    Bump.....I'd like to know the answer to this too!
  • jodimitchell
    jodimitchell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    me too!! somebody help us out!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Whey is nothing more than a convenient way to get some extra protein to supplement your daily diet. First you start with your daily protein goal. Are you reaching your daily goal with natural foods? If so, then you're done. You don't need it. If you have trouble hitting your protein target, or if on some days you don't have time to prepare all your usual food, then that's where taking a protein supplement comes in.

There are a ton of different kinds. Read all the labels carefully. It basically comes down to the type of sweetener (artificial vs natural vs none), taste/flavor, and cost. All other things being equal, I go for the cheapest one I can get.
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    http://www.wheyproteinforwomen.com/faq/index.html

It's a source of protein that is easily absorbed into our system. And no, it's not a meal replacement. It's a protein substitute for those of us who don't get enough protein from natural foods.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Fast absorption. i love to use it right after my workout. It can be used as a snack or meal replacement. There are many brands out there. BSN Lean Dessert and BSN Syntha-6, Jay Robb whey protein is higher priced but doesn't have a lot of additives that you can't pronounce.
  • shannontrevino
    shannontrevino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Protein Shakes help give your body the protein it needs to repair your muscles after a workout. I drink Lean Dessert by BSN after workouts and before bed time as this is when your body does most of it's repairing, while you sleep. (this info is from my fitness trainer of over a year)
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Bottom Line: Supplements are Supplemental
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Protein helps you feel full I try to get close to 20 or over on protein every meal and yes it does work for a meal replacement if it has enough protein it can hold me off anywhere between 2-3 hrs before I crave my meal. I myself drink a protein shake for breakfast and yes I try to have protein after my workout for muscle repair.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for some recommendations, this thread from earlier today might help you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/221942-whats-your-favorite-protein-shake
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Because whey protein is so readily absorbed and doesn't have much, if any, fiber, it doesn't work all that well as a meal replacement unless you are adding things to it like Penaut Butter or other nut butters, or oatmeal, etc. You'll feel hungry fairly quickly otherwise.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    This I have heard as well I add banana, strawberries, 1/2 cup of 2%milk and flaxseed to my shake.
    Because whey protein is so readily absorbed and doesn't have much, if any, fiber, it doesn't work all that well as a meal replacement unless you are adding things to it like Penaut Butter or other nut butters, or oatmeal, etc. You'll feel hungry fairly quickly otherwise.
  • RunChinni
    Options

Exactly.
    You don't want to consume it as a meal replacement since it's NOT meant to be a meal. It doesn't give you enough nutrition for a meal.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this, I was wondering about whey today!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I was using whey protein but because I dont want soy, regular milk, and eggs in my body I switched to brown rice protein...

Brown rice protein powder actually has about four times the amount of arginine that whey contains, and still more arginine than any other protein powder that I've seen. This is important because arginine is readily converted to nitric oxide (NO) in the body, which enhances blood flow to your muscles. This is important during workouts for better delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the muscle for more energy. It's also important after the workout to help with recovery. Brown rice protein is also rich in the amino acid, glutamine. Glutamine is important for muscle recovery and immune function, as well as reducing muscle fatigue during workouts. These benefits make brown rice protein powder a great alternative protein powder for both pre and postworkout shakes. New research even suggests that using rice protein could help you to lose body fat, build muscle and lower your cholesterol levels:bigsmile:

Im using Jarrow Formulas® Brown Rice Protein Concentrate from GNC.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Whey is nothing more than a convenient way to get some extra protein to supplement your daily diet. First you start with your daily protein goal. Are you reaching your daily goal with natural foods? If so, then you're done. You don't need it. If you have trouble hitting your protein target, or if on some days you don't have time to prepare all your usual food, then that's where taking a protein supplement comes in.

There are a ton of different kinds. Read all the labels carefully. It basically comes down to the type of sweetener (artificial vs natural vs none), taste/flavor, and cost. All other things being equal, I go for the cheapest one I can get.

Well, according to MFP I go over my protein every day but I don't know if that's really how much protein I should be getting or if it's just MFP's calculation for dieting?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You can change your nutrient percentages from you home page. 35-40% protein is a good level. MFP protein requirements are super low for my tastes.
  • busub
    busub Posts: 58
    Options
    I was using whey protein but because I dont want soy, regular milk, and eggs in my body I switched to brown rice protein...

Brown rice protein powder actually has about four times the amount of arginine that whey contains, and still more arginine than any other protein powder that I've seen. This is important because arginine is readily converted to nitric oxide (NO) in the body, which enhances blood flow to your muscles. This is important during workouts for better delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the muscle for more energy. It's also important after the workout to help with recovery. Brown rice protein is also rich in the amino acid, glutamine. Glutamine is important for muscle recovery and immune function, as well as reducing muscle fatigue during workouts. These benefits make brown rice protein powder a great alternative protein powder for both pre and postworkout shakes. New research even suggests that using rice protein could help you to lose body fat, build muscle and lower your cholesterol levels:bigsmile:

Interesting points as all the literature I've read thus far overwhelmingly favor animal based proteins over plant based, mostly due to superior biological values with whey concentrate and whey isolate. I'm not complete convinced yet that excess arginine is necessary as its a naturally occurring substance that your body produces. After my creatine experiment from years ago, I'm hesitant to jump onto anything similar. Can you point out to me any literature on the matter? Anything would be appreciated.
  • RunChinni
    Options

Interesting points as all the literature I've read thus far overwhelmingly favor animal based proteins over plant based, mostly due to superior biological values with whey concentrate and whey isolate. I'm not complete convinced yet that excess arginine is necessary as its a naturally occurring substance that your body produces. After my creatine experiment from years ago, I'm hesitant to jump onto anything similar. Can you point out to me any literature on the matter? Anything would be appreciated.

Me too. I am quite interested, not out of wanting to use it, but because I'd like to know the source and research on it.
  • bwyne03
    bwyne03 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

bump...
  • bwyne03
    bwyne03 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question because I was wondering this myself!! I am still confused as to what is optimal time to have the protein. Preworkout, postworkout, during workout or right before bedtime??