Third time getting sick?! Why!??!?!

Options
I started this journey about a month and a half ago. I feel great and am really seeing results. However, there is one thing that is bothering me.

I came down with a sinus infection in late February, before I found this site. Was on a round of antibiotics and kicked the infection. The week after I started exercising and eating right (and about a week after finishing the first round of antibiotics), I came down with another sinus infection. I kicked this one a lot faster I think because of another round of antibiotics and the fact that I was walking everyday.

Now, for the third time in two months, I am sick again! It is all in my chest and throat. I am just perplexed because I was not sick at all in 2010, and now this is the third time.

Could diet and exercise have anything to do with this? I'm of the belief that my body is pushing out a ton of toxins, and that's why I'm getting sick more often, but I'm probably wrong.

Replies

• ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have gotten sick a couple times since starting also, I think that since your body goes through such a change in the beginning that your immune system might be compromised a little bit. I don't know that for sure, but I think it is a possibility. It would make sense, especially if you are not getting as many nutrients as you need.
  • burnguru25
    Options
    As a nurse I would lean towards allergens. In general, working out and a better diet will actually improve your immunity and thus make you "healthier" towards day to day infectious sources. Allergens work completely differently. Sinus infections like to start off as allergen based congestions that over time with inability to drain properly cause infections. This is not to say that it could be another cause, but with hay fever on the rise (it is the season), perhaps start there.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I used to get tons of colds and sinus infections, but they stopped when I started taking a vitamin D supplement and using a neti pot regularly. I haven't had a cold in over a year now!
  • butrfly86
    Options
    Think of it this way. Before you started losing weight your body's immunity was in a state of equilibrium. You may not have been eating very healthy, but you body was used to it. Now that you're losing weight and eating better it's thrown your immunity off balance. It's not a bad thing, but you just have to give yourself time to heal and restore balance. Losing weight is a healing process. I'm sure the allergens aren't helping either. I use the neti-pot every morning in the shower. It's been the most helpful thing in keeping my sinus infections in check. All it does is irrigate your nasal passages and keeps infections from settling in. Saline spray works as well. I hope you start feeling better soon!!! And congrats on your loss (I think this is the only situation where a loss is a good thing!). You're making tremendous progress!! Keep up the good work.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    As a nurse I would lean towards allergens. In general, working out and a better diet will actually improve your immunity and thus make you "healthier" towards day to day infectious sources. Allergens work completely differently. Sinus infections like to start off as allergen based congestions that over time with inability to drain properly cause infections. This is not to say that it could be another cause, but with hay fever on the rise (it is the season), perhaps start there.

Bump
  • Zsangel
    Zsangel Posts: 202
    Options
    I was the same way about this time last year, I swear I was sick for months!
    but now, I've been fine all year (so far)... My mother and sister have been sick for a LOT of this year between them and I've avoided all of them!! and that's with having 3 young nephews who pick up everything!! :laugh:
    I may have just jinxed it :grumble: stay tuned =P
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I agree with burnguru.....I am one to get sick all of the time. I work with children in a daycare environment. I would get sick all of the time. Now since I started working out if I have gotten a cold it has been very very mild. But now with allergy season here I keep getting backed up. I feel like i am getting an ear infection but I keep using my allergy pill and my nasal spray and it keeps it in check for the most part. Good Luck you could check with your doctor and see what they think never hurts.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    We keep getting sick too! Driving me up the wall. We've been almost constantly sick since Feb! Stay away from me, people! Lol.
    I'm trying to eat better and be more active, and keep my house clean. Aside from that, I don't feel like there's a whole lot we can do.
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I also stayed sick for a while when I first started my journey 3 months ago. I had inner ear infection 2X, sinus infection 1X and strep throat (which I had NEVER had in my life). I would get over 1 illness and get another right away but I am happy to say that I haven't been sick again in about a month or so. I also think it was my body getting used to the changes I had made. Just remember when you are sick to take it easy so your body can get well, don't over do the exercise while you are sick. I know it is frustrating but in time this too will pass.