Airplanes

Options
a_freeman
a_freeman Posts: 116 Member
I'm a frequent flyer for my job. I've noticed over the past few years, as I've gained weight, that the seats were getting narrower and the seatbelts shorter. Yesterday, I noticed the seats have gotten wider and the seatbelt longer. After buckling up, I had a fairly substantial tail left on the seatbelt. I almost showed it to the guy sitting next to me but then decided he might call the flight attendent and ask to be moved.

Andy

Replies

• watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    WTG~!
  • rosiedoes
    rosiedoes Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good for you, dude! The last thing you need is to feel uncomfortable in an already uncomfortable seat - glad to hear your weightloss is having tangible effects on your life!
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    LOL! That's great, way to go!
  • pearlof69
    pearlof69 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I hope that feeling happens with my clothes soon. I am sure someone broke into my house, raided my wardrobe and then proceeded to wash all my clothes on a 90 degree wash cycle .
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    I've noticed that in other places, too. They used to have bigger seating in cars, cafe's, everywhere. Then for a while it seemed that they all started going sub-compact size. Over the last 40 pounds of loss, however, I am finding that everyone is going back to the full sizes seats...

Keep it up, and good luck.
  • TLMonroe
    TLMonroe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoo, I hope to notice the same thing, this summer on my flight!!! Congrads!!!
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm a relatively frequent flyer too, and this is a huge NSV to me! Way to go! High fives for everyone in that row!
  • a_freeman
    Options
    I hope that feeling happens with my clothes soon. I am sure someone broke into my house, raided my wardrobe and then proceeded to wash all my clothes on a 90 degree wash cycle .

Yes it's true. There are people that go around and shrink clothes. Like many people on MFP, I had 3 sets of clothes, skinny, medium and fat. I'm back into medium and on the advice of my MFP friends have thrown out the fat ones. I better start locking my door so the clothes shrinking fairy stays away.
  • a_freeman
    Options
    I'm a relatively frequent flyer too, and this is a huge NSV to me! Way to go! High fives for everyone in that row!

LOL
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    How about that airplane food tray?!? Mine was placed lower on the back of the seat in front of me than anyone else's. I know this because it didn't come all the way down flat. Everyone else had room to spare, mine was stuck on my stomach resting at an angle. Why did I always get "that" seat?!? Also, the person before me always tightened up the seat belt just before I sat down... just so I'd have to extend it to it's fullest length in front of everyone coming down the aisle. Please!

Thankfully, I haven't hit those seats in a while. However, I notice those who get them. Wish I could reach out and say, "Hey, I've gotten that seat before... "
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Forgot about this one... Restaurant booths. ..

I swear I always got the more narrow side of the booth. Who wants to eat with a table separating your stomach into a top and bottom half?

And what about clothing stores? How come plus sizes only come in separate pieces... they have a top or a bottom, but no matching set like they have in the misses sizes? The misses has jackets, tanks, pants, and matching skirts, while the only item in a plus size is the tank to wear under it all?!? Come on, people, I wanted the whole set too! Thankfully I'm finally fitting in "some" of the matching pieces. However, it'll be a while before I can get a whole set in my size.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    that's one thing I look forward too.

great job and keep it up!
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Awesome!

I had a similar situation the other day, though at a theater rather than an airplane. In a venue I had been to before, I caught myself just as I was leaning over to tell my wife that "these seats farther back are a lot bigger than the ones we had last time" and instead chuckled to myself. Last time was about a month before I started losing weight. Rather than being wedged in between the arm rests as before, this time I was not even touching them!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    that's great!

i hate the feeling on airplanes that people are hoping i don't sit next to them, hoping for someone skinnier. i'll be glad to have that issue gone by the next time i fly!!!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    love it!! can't wait to test the same theory myself (wider seats etc *LOL*)

on a side notw.. my mum used to love travelling (though she hated flying).. but she did fly of course, the ends justifies the means in such cases *S*
    BUT... as she got heavier, she reached point where she needed ask for the seatbelt extension.. and at that point she stopped travelling... sadly... and i am determined to never limit myself that way anymore. i wish she had been able to reach the same decision for herself but she never did. definitely one of my inspirations... to never have to NOT travel because i feel too big to do so comfortably.
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    great story to share and a great motivater as well................ hope you see as much of the world as your wallet will allow!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!