Do you interval train?

Options
mckant
mckant Posts: 217 Member
What does your workout look like? I need lots of new ideas so I can switch things up. I get bored easily!

Thanks!

Replies

• chrisallcock
    Options
    80% of my cardio training is interval and ive seen good results from it :)

5800340.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I started doing Interval training using the program in Jillian Michaels The Cut. The book has 30 days of workouts (4 days/week usually) and they are interval based. You never do the same workout more than twice.
    Here are a few of the exercises:

chest fly on body ball
    chest press with crunch on body ball
    military shoulder press with leg lifts
    run 1min @7mph (this type of running varies throughout. usually 1 min, sometimes at a high incline (10) but with a lower speed)
    Plank
    side plank
    pushups
    frog pushups
    scorpian pushups
    rock star jumps
    one legged lunges
    jumping lunges
    pendulum lunges
    woodchoppers
    crossover cable pull
    lat pulldowns
    tricep pulldown
    jumping jacks
    skater jumps
    jump rope
    boat pose

I can't remember anymore off the top of my head, but you can probably get the book pretty cheap used on Amazon--or borrow from a library and make photo-copies
  • clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oopsie,
    I think I was confusing circuit with interval. My bad!! So Sorry!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/baisleac/view/hiit-mrt-circuit-training-whatever-you-want-to-call-it-92808

Relevant part... I have bad knees and came up with the following that I do three days/week:

So... The circuit routine I came up with for myself is as follows (just Google the name of any exercise you don't recognize and you'll find youtube video demonstrations):

My husband times me for all of this... then we trade places. Mwuahahahahaha.

Walk/Jog in place for 5 min. warm up.
    Stretch

Mountain Climber for 30 sec.
    Rest for 10 sec.
    Dumb bell Swing for 30 sec.
    Rest for 10 sec.
    Kick Backs for 30 sec.
    Rest for 10 sec.
    Pushups for 30 sec. (I'm still doing 'em on my knees... baby steps)
    Rest for 10 sec.
    Running curls for 30 sec. (Run in place while doing bicep curls)
    Rest for 10 sec.
    Knee Ins for 30 sec.
    Rest for 10 sec.
    High Knees for 30 sec.
    Rest for 10 sec.
    Tricep Dips for 30 sec.
    Walk in place for 60 - 90 sec. (I usually grab a few sips of water here)

Repeat from Mountain Climbers.

When you can do no more, walk in place for 5 minutes and stretch... then eat/drink some protein/carbs.

It takes about 5 min. per circuit. I'm currently up to 3 before I feel like I'm gonna die (in a good way).

*Note - We listen to Dragonforce while doing this. The tempo of their music is phenomenal for speed training.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity which is chock full of interval training. For my elliptical routines:

I will describe to you MY specific routine. Because I've built up my endurance to this point, I immediately start off on the highest resistance level, even during my 5-minute warm-up.
    After my warm-up:
    > I switch directions and propel backwards as fast as I can for 1 - 2 minutes
    > Recover at a moderately fast pace for 1 minute
    > Switch it back propelling forward as fast as I can for 1 - 2 minutes
    > Recover at a moderately fast pace for 1 minute
    > Switch direction at a recovery pace for 1 - 2 minutes
    > Increase intensity for 1 - 2 minutes
    > Switch direction and recover for 2 minutes
    > Increase intensity for 1 - 2 minutes
    > Recover for 2 - 3 minutes ... [by this time, I'm already sweating my *kitten* off and in need of catching my breath]

And I'll repeat this process for however long I feel up to it. Generally my routines range between 15 - 30 minutes at such a short pace. If I decide to go longer, I'll increase the recovery times, but keep the intensity bursts and direction switches after every 5 minutes. I also time my workouts according to my music playlist, so I also have tracks arranged to recovery and intensity bursts. It helps with me with my timing.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I like doing intervals with my cardio. I'll just sprint for 30 seconds then resume a jogging pace for 60-120 seconds, then repeat.
  • rocs2climb
    Options
    Interval training is a great way to increase cardiovascular endurance.
    Tempo training is yet another way to build speed and endurance. Going at a pace just above what you are running at now, start with just a10 minutes tempo run and see if you can hold that pace. Don't forget to warm up and cool down too.
  • amandahenschel
    amandahenschel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sort of, I do 2 hours of cardio a day. 1 hour in the morn and one in the evening on a eliptical. The way I do it is bounce the settings on the machine around (incline, resitance,speed). It forces the heart rate to fight to keep up with the changes which allows the body to burning calories better.

When it comes to a strength routiine I prefer low impact. My fav is yoga, it seems like it is not good for building lean muscle but it is. For me it is better then weight lifting. I also like to use free weights with a stability ball for my back, plus allows better movement of the body. Another good one is ISO-Planks.............god I hate doing those, but the will kick your body into gear...lol

Hope this helps.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I did some research and am doing HIIT running. I have torn cartiledge in my knee from an atv accident when I was 13 so full on running is out for me no matter what size I am. I have let this be a GREAT excuse for a long time but then with research discovered that HIIT is better for you anyhow. So this is what I do...

Warm up: 5 minute walk
    30 second sprint
    1 minute walk
    30 second sprint
    1 minute walk
    30 second sprint
    1 minute walk
    30 second sprint
    1 minute walk
    30 second sprint
    1 minute walk
    30 second sprint
    1 minute walk
    Cool down: 5 minute walk out

From what I have found it's always 1:3 or 1:5 ratio so whatever your running time multiply that by 3 or 5 and walk for that time. I am working up to 1 minute run 3 minute walk. I also do a LOT of hiking (sometimes carrying a sleeping toddler) around all the trails in the county and my legs are thanking me in bounds. They are toning up already and I have only started this regimine about 2 weeks ago.
  • TimWeis75
    TimWeis75 Posts: 30
    Options
    I ride a bicycle up and down hills. I dislike riding up hills, so I make it a point to pedal to the top as quickly as possible.
  • jenniferlspies
    Options
    I do 5-6 intervals of 2.5 minutes of jogging and 2.5 minutes of walking 3 times a week, with a five minutes of walking for the warm-up and cool-down.