nuts nuts nuts nuts

Options
so i am running low on almonds... but i want to try a new nut. i tend to like pecans and walnuts, but i haven't shopped for nuts in a long time...

what kind of nuts have you found to be the most nutritious and also the cheapest? I'll prob buy them from the bulk aisle so they have no added salt or other things

Replies

• eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    edaname is supposedly good (pretty sure I spelled that wrong)

I love whole natural almonds! That is the only kind I eat, but my family also really likes the cocoa roasted ones for a sweet treat :smile:
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I cant do pecans walnuts or macadamis nuts anymore (though I used to love them so this allergy thing sucks!)

But I personally have a major love for pistachios & cashews :) Cashews are a little higher in the fatty oils but still amazingly healthy
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    sFun_zipit.gif

I will not say dirty things. I will not say dirty things.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Edamame is amazing! You can but it already shelled in the frozen vegetable aisle! You just measure out a serving (about 1/2 c I think) and then put it in the microwave for a few minutes!! Delicious on their own or with some rice and fresh veggies!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I keep raw cashews, pictachios and almonds in the cupboard at all times! :-D Also bough a bag of unsalted peanuts to make PB&J larabars this week!
  • heartpdx
    heartpdx Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    sFun_zipit.gif

lol. thanks for that...

but seriously, i like peanuts and pistachios!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    sFun_zipit.gif

Rofl! I was thinking the same thing.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I really like pistachios, and I read somewhere that they're the lowest calorie nut.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I just read an article in Womens Health Magazine about walnuts being great for you, and pistachios too. I try to add a nut to my daily salads, either walnuts, almonds hazelnuts or pistachios.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Edamame is amazing! You can but it already shelled in the frozen vegetable aisle! You just measure out a serving (about 1/2 c I think) and then put it in the microwave for a few minutes!! Delicious on their own or with some rice and fresh veggies!

Yea, that's how you spell it :smile:
  • scubatahiti
    scubatahiti Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use 3 types. Almonds , Walnuts and Pignolias - Pine Nuts.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    bump....I was thinking this same thing...
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I always get this really yummy trail mix by Planters called Omega-3. It has walnuts, cranberries and dark cocolate covered soynuts!! I never liked walnuts before, and this made me love them!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I always have almonds and pistachios in the house. I hit a big sale last week on pistachios ($4/lb) so now I have a LOT of pistachios!

I don't think edamame qualifies as a 'nut' as it's really soybeans, but it is a great snack.

Walnuts are supposed to be fabulous for you with their healthy fats, but they make my mouth itch so I don't get them.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I use 3 types. Almonds , Walnuts and Pignolias - Pine Nuts.

Forgot all about pine nuts! I have some of those but I've only ever used them in cooking--never thought about snacking on them!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I read Amonds are the best, then pecans, then walnuts. I think your good. Macadamia's are expensive and are very high in fat, can't have as much.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I always have almonds and pistachios in the house. I hit a big sale last week on pistachios ($4/lb) so now I have a LOT of pistachios!

I don't think edamame qualifies as a 'nut' as it's really soybeans, but it is a great snack.

Walnuts are supposed to be fabulous for you with their healthy fats, but they make my mouth itch so I don't get them.
    ditto! I am actually mildy allergy to walnuts. Maybe it's just a tingly feeling... but I avoid them... unless it's a small amount in a muffin or something. I buy my pistacchios raw and without the shell. They have no salt and are EASY. YUM YUM!
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love roasted soy nuts! They are cheap, and have the most protein of any I know, outside of hemp seeds.

One ounce of soy nuts is 126 calories, 11g protein, 9g carbs and 6g fat.

Peanuts are cheap and good for you, and so underrated. Sometimes the bulk peanuts get a little stale, so I get the vacuum sealed ones in the nut/popcorn aisle.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Did anyone mention pistachios?