Sweating while working out???

Options
Ok so I have a question for all...not sure about this. When I do a work out anywhere from 50-60 minutes on a Stairclimber Treadmill, I don't drip sweat where it's noticeable but in areas like armpits, back, chest etc. I don't know if this is just my body or if I'm not pushing it that extra mile. I feel like I'm getting a great workout but want more. I want to see the weightloss results and I'm not. Has anyone every purchased a plastic type outfit you wear while working out and what kind of results did you see? I've started wearing a sweatshirt while working out to help me sweat more. Thanks!

Replies

• Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It could just be your body. I sweat profusely even when I go for a mild walk. You could try an experiment and do some different things for the same amount of time and see how much you sweat for each and compare. Like walk for 15 min, jog for 15, run for 15. Or do your stairclimber and then do a bunch of jumping jacks or jumprope vigorusly. If there isn't much difference, it's your body.
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, I just don't sweat like other people. I have to work out really hard to get a sweat on my brow and even then it's nothing like I see others sweat, but I am sweating in my hair and under bra.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting?
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Push harder! Do more Weight bearing exercises and and intensity and Max effort. When you do that you should be sweating buckets after 15-20 min
  • cherilyn221
    cherilyn221 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I noticed this morning I worked up a real sweat adding extra intensity to one minutes sprints. Before today I thought I was just a non-sweat-er. Turns out short bursts were the key for me and now I feel as if I'm "really" working out.
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I noticed this morning I worked up a real sweat adding extra intensity to one minutes sprints. Before today I thought I was just a non-sweat-er. Turns out short bursts were the key for me and now I feel as if I'm "really" working out.

I will also have to give this a try, Thanks:)
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It might just be your body. A girl at work barely sweats when she does work outs.. me on the other hand ever since having my daughter i sweat like crazy!!
  • skyski_tige
    skyski_tige Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't start sweating till my heart rate reaches about 135-140. A HRM would really help you to know how to 'push' your body more during your workouts.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You may want to try pushing your self a little harder to see if it helps but you could also not be hydrated enough. Try upping your water consumption.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    The healthier you are the harder it is to get in a good work out... you just gotta push yourself even harder.... My mom says if you arent throwing up you can always push it harder...

Also make sure your drinking enough, your body will only sweat if it has water to lose.. if it is dehydrated it will have a harder time sweating.

Wearing a sweatshirt only makes you sweat out water weight... its not good for anythign else... and it makes it even more important to drink TONS TONS TONS of water.
  • Shawna0101
    Shawna0101 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well I am not a big "sweater" but based on my HRM my workouts are working, so maybe you just don't sweat as much? I sweat when I workout but it isn't ever dripping off me.
  • jessicajones1022
    jessicajones1022 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My body just doesn't sweat that much. Even when I'm pushing hard and feeling the burn. Even when I play softball in the middle of the summer running around and pitching. I just don't sweat. Instead, I pee alot. If I'm working out or doing anything physical, most people sweat, and I'm constantly running to the bathroom. I don't know why. So it could just be the way your body works.
  • kmg748
    kmg748 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been really logging in MFP now for 15 days staight, but was here and there the month prior. I've been back at working out now for almost 2 months 5-6 days a week at 50-60 minutes. I do the treadmill always, it's an incline trainer and can go up to a 40 degree incline for major burn, so I switch up the trails daily. I definelty wet just not dripping like my husband =)
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You may want to try pushing your self a little harder to see if it helps but you could also not be hydrated enough. Try upping your water consumption.

Once I started, you know, hydrating with water, not Diet Coke, I started sweating like Ms. Piggy at the gym!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I sweat sweeping the floor, I don't believe that sweating is a direct result of how much effort one is putting forth. I've heard that those suits are extremely dangerous as they can raise your body temp too much. I wouldn't do it without consulting a physician.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It could be a sweat gland issue where yours are simply not as developed as everyone elses. My son didn't used to sweat at all, instead he would overheat very quickly and we'd have to sponge him down and get him to lay down with a wet rag on his head or he'd pass out and suffer heat stroke. It's a rare and very dangerous condition. His sweat glands are slowly starting to develop but nothing near normal.

So my suggestions.

Step 1. Check your temperature immediately after working out and make sure you are not over heating.

Step 2. If you are overheating I caution you to be very careful, it's not something to just shrug off and push through. If you are not overheating I would suggest varying up your routine, work in sprints and the like. It's called circuit training. When we stick to a routine our muscles become comfortable and lazy. But by varying it up, adding in sprints and lunges and such, you keep the body guessing.

I strongly suggest adding strength training to your fitness regime. When dieting and doing aerobics alone our bodies end up burning about 75% fat and 25% muscle!

By adding in the strength training you build up muscle instead and burn 100% fat.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was the same way...i now drink anywhere between 100-124 oz of water a day and I'm like my own rain forest at the gym :)
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If I stick to the same resistance and level on the elliptical too long, it will take longer for me to work up a sweat. This is when I know it's time to kick it up a notch! Definitely try throwing some intervals in (2 minutes at a higher resistance, 2 minutes at your normal one). Makes a huge difference!
  • kmg748
    kmg748 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 3-4 20oz containers a day of water + 2-3 glasses of crystal light. I have pretty much given up on diet pop, I had one last night and that had been my first can in 1 week.
  • bethikabob
    bethikabob Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I was the same way...i now drink anywhere between 100-124 oz of water a day and I'm like my own rain forest at the gym :)
    LOL! Next time I'm dripping I'll just say I'm saving the rain forest :tongue: