Do you burn calories while doing sit ups or crunches?

Options
I saw somewhere that said you do. Is that true? If so, how can you tell how many cals you're burning? Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• gumby101ca
    gumby101ca Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    you want to build your core muscles but , im sure that you do burn calories , not sure on the amount thou..
  • kkruse08
    kkruse08 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i would also be interested in knowing this along with how do i calculate how many calories i am buring while doign a video such as buns or thighs of steel????

Thanks
  • allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Of course! It's in the exercise database, but you will have to look it up cause I don't know exactly how many they burn :smile:
  • keynesian
    keynesian Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Strength training is listed in the database - after I've logged my planned sets etc in the strength section, I then add an estimated time to the cardio log and the calories used gets added in..
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You could get a heart rate monitor and wear it when you do any form of exercise. Of course you burn cals doing ab work. However, it's not a big calorie burner compared to other things.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I didn't' see crunches... I saw sit ups vigorous... it isn't that much for calories, it depends on your weight and how long not how many you do.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Sit-ups and crunches are strength-training exercises using one's own bodyweight as resistance. Yes, you are burning calories. As far as how many, that can't be answered accurately. Everyone is different and expends energy at different rates based on many, many factors. The only way to know is to wear a heart rate monitor that shows calories burned.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Of course it does, everything burns calories.

But unless you do like 200+ situps in 2 minutes.... It really does nothing productive as far as calories go.
  • Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Strength training is in the database but it does not show how many calories are burned because it is so hard to calculate. The best way to truly calculate the calories you are burning is to buy a heart rate monitor. I just bought mine this week and I absolutely love it!! I can do fitness dvd's and be able to tell exactly how much I'm burning along with my daily bike rides, I never knew how much calories I burned just biking to work!!
  • markgrnh
    markgrnh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I doubt it would be much worth shouting about to be honest. Maybe 0.1 Cal per sit-up. main thing is by building and toning your stomach it will increase your metabolism so in the long run your body will use more calories just to fuel your muscles. Hope that helps :)
  • btmixon
    btmixon Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes, you burn calories doing any activity. A heart rate monitor is a great way to calculate calories burned....
  • hifinm
    hifinm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

This is a great calorie calcuator.

5186029.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I saw somewhere that said you do. Is that true? If so, how can you tell how many cals you're burning? Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Yes, anytime that you expend energy you burn calories. You can track it under calisthenics
  • ChristinaMarie85
    ChristinaMarie85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

This is a great calorie calcuator.

5186029.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thanks! I'm definitely bookmarking this link!
  • ChristinaMarie85
    ChristinaMarie85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Of course! It's in the exercise database, but you will have to look it up cause I don't know exactly how many they burn :smile:

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that! haha
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    my $.02 - not worth counting unless you are doing crazy amounts