Decaf Coffee

I've heard that decaf coffee isn't good for you. Does anyone know about the negative, unsafe effects of decaf coffee, if any? Is it "safe" and okay to drink decaf?

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Why on earth would you want to drink DECAF?! :laugh:
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member

My thoughts exactly. Lol
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    coffee in moderation is fine! decaf and otherwise. :glasses:
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    I HAVE to drink it for Blood Pressure reasons. I have heard nothing negative about it.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member

Anecdotal - Because I LOVE coffee. But if I drink caffeine after 11am-noon-ish, I have horrid restless leg at bedtime. So I drink decaf all afternoon/evening.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Decaf doesn't taste right. There is a half-caff by Folgers.
  • njoytheride
    njoytheride Posts: 9 Member
    The reasons some decaf isn't good for you is the type of processing used to get the caffeine out. I forget which is which, as I read it a long time ago, and very rarely drink decaf. I love coffee. I think one is chemically processed, and one is steaqm processed.

I just read about a coffee that has reishi mushroom in it, for healing. I'll try to find out more about both, and get back to you. (I'm old, so I could use the energy!)
  • Sarahland
    Sarahland Posts: 65 Member
    When you drink caffeine, your body has to release chemicals to bring you down (people call it crashing). Decaff coffee actually has just enough caffeine in it to trigger those chemicals, but not enough to give you the caffeine boost. So basically, you are crashing without getting the high first. It will make your body tired so you will feel like you need more caffeine (aka more coffee)...
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member

Folgers?? I think I'd rather drink a quality decaf than drink Folgers!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member

LOL LOL LOL
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member

LMAO
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Interesting that the chemical concern has come up twice in one day (there was another coffee thread this morning). I'm by no means a decaf fanboy, but I don't like to see misinformation. The chemicals used to decaffeinate coffee are not present in the final product. These chemicals are highly volatile and are completely evaporated during the roasting phase.

Here's a little more info from the fabulous sweetmarias.com: http://www.sweetmarias.com/health.eco.html
  • snickerpants
    snickerpants Posts: 44 Member
    Swiss water processing does not use benzene (or other organic solvents). It's basically decaffeination through a series of warm water baths. It works the principle of diffusion. Coffee beans are soaked in green coffee extract and the caffeine molecules travel from the point of high concentration (the beans that are being processed) to the point of low concentration (the green coffee extract)

Swiss water processed decaf coffee is probably the best decaf coffee to drink if you are worried about the chemicals at all. That said, the organic chemicals used other decaffeination processes should be well washed out of their final product. Someone *somewhere* would be able to smell/taste them!

Cheers!
  • Decaf doesn't taste right. There is a half-caff by Folgers.

I SOO agree!!! lol
  • G0ldengirl68
    G0ldengirl68 Posts: 43 Member
    Interesting that the chemical concern has come up twice in one day (there was another coffee thread this morning). I'm by no means a decaf fanboy, but I don't like to see misinformation. The chemicals used to decaffeinate coffee are not present in the final product. These chemicals are highly volatile and are completely evaporated during the roasting phase.

Here's a little more info from the fabulous sweetmarias.com: http://www.sweetmarias.com/health.eco.html

this is from ages ago, but what a great website. I don't know if the person that posted it is still around, but I sure would have thanked them for it, or given it a "like" at the least ;) Helped me today in 2021 ;)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    ?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Decaf coffee is fine,not bad for you at all.

Caffeinated coffee is fine too if you have no issues with caffeine.

Usual disclaimer: in sensible moderation amounts.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    I don't think there's any evidence that decaf coffee is bad for you.

I sometimes mix decaf and regular coffee 50/50 to lower the caffeine but keep the flavour.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    Swiss water processing does not use benzene (or other organic solvents). It's basically decaffeination through a series of warm water baths. It works the principle of diffusion. Coffee beans are soaked in green coffee extract and the caffeine molecules travel from the point of high concentration (the beans that are being processed) to the point of low concentration (the green coffee extract)

Swiss water processed decaf coffee is probably the best decaf coffee to drink if you are worried about the chemicals at all. That said, the organic chemicals used other decaffeination processes should be well washed out of their final product. Someone *somewhere* would be able to smell/taste them!

Cheers!

Is there any evidence that organic solvents/CO2 have any negative effects on someone drinking the decaffeinated coffee, though? I assume the solvents are washed off....and CO2 is obviously used in a lot of other consumable products.....so I'm not actually sure I've seen any data to suggest that the processes used to take the caffeine out leave any negative side-effects....other than someone saying "Oh, they use chemicals...scary". If you know of any info please include it, I'd love to read it.

Although I'll probably never drink decaf unless a doctor tells me I have to. I can tell the taste difference and it drives me crazy.
  • Jenpiddles
    Jenpiddles Posts: 44 Member
    Crystal817 wrote: »

If I want coffee I have to drink decaf. Caffeine triggers an abnormal heart rhythm for me (SVT). I love coffee, so I do what I can. I hear this all the time though!

There are other heath issues that can be triggered by caffeine as well, just an example.