BAKED POTATOES!!!???

Options
someone just posted a question about potatoes and then the responses said that people take their potatoe and dont weigh it until after cooking... but i weigh it before i cook it.. figured a 5oz potatoe uncooked is the same as a 4oz potatoe cooked....

which one is right cuz if im doing it wrong by weighing it first then ive been under eating for a month and a half. i have potatoes several days a week, sometimes even twice a day. they are cheap, filling and have over 700mg of potassium and i have to eat 3500mg of potassium a day.

Replies

• wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    I eat potatoes and i do it the same way you are doing it. I think that any food cooked with just water and no other added spice or oil/butter has the same number of calories. It the added stuff that adds on the calories. IMO if a potato is 100 calories before you boil it, it should be the same 100 calories after it is cooked provided you dont add anything else. As you add stuff, then you should count the added calories. That is what i think though.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes a lot too and this is what I do...

If I am boiling like for mashed potatoes I weigh before cooking. If baking I do it after... I am right? I have no idea but I am losing weight and I happy....
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I grabbed my calorie count book and checked calories per ounce on baked vs. raw. 1 ounce baked potato is 26 calories. 1 ounce of raw potato is 22 calories. I am not sure how much weight the potato loses from baking but I think it must lose some of the water in the form of steam. But even given your example, "figured a 5oz potatoe uncooked is the same as a 4oz potatoe cooked.... " 5 ounces raw is 130 calories vs. 4 ounces cooked is 88 calories.

Does this help any?
  • cjbnc
    cjbnc Posts: 32
    Options
    I grabbed my calorie count book and checked calories per ounce on baked vs. raw. 1 ounce baked potato is 26 calories. 1 ounce of raw potato is 22 calories. I am not sure how much weight the potato loses from baking but I think it must lose some of the water in the form of steam. But even given your example, "figured a 5oz potatoe uncooked is the same as a 4oz potatoe cooked.... " 5 ounces raw is 130 calories vs. 4 ounces cooked is 88 calories.

Reverse that:
    5oz raw = 5*22 = 110 cals
    4oz cooked = 4*26 = 104 cals
    so yes, that's pretty close to the same
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    Try a white sweet potato. mmmmmm
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Reverse that:
    5oz raw = 5*22 = 110 cals
    4oz cooked = 4*26 = 104 cals
    so yes, that's pretty close to the same

Thanks! I was afraid I had messed it up and yep, I did! :blushing:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh the potato after baking, mainly because I don't eat the skin (unless I am the one who washed the potato and I know it's clean and dirty 'eye' free).
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Weigh before cooking.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    weigh raw...but really, it isn't going to be substantially different.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    spudlol.gif